ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Buzz from the Road: 12/12 Edition

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
Good evening.

While I was planning on discussing OL recruiting in-depth as part of this update, four-star OL Kai Greer went public with his decision to commit to Georgia Tech.

Greer went on an official visit earlier this month to Louisville, but the trip to see the ACC Championship runners up didn't compare to the unofficial visit he took to Georgia Tech for the Syracuse game.

Greer looked for a few days as if he may be on the outside looking in, from a being a member of Georgia Tech's 2024 class. Given the makeup of the OL room, and the upcoming movement at the position in the coming months, the decision had been made per my sources that if the right OL at the HS level wanted in, that they'd use their last two spots on one transfer, and one HS recruit rather than two transfers.

With Greer in the boat officially, the question now is about who the transfer will be.

My transfer portal FutureCast for GT to land former MTSU OL Keylan "Big Red" Rutledge is still in-tact, and as of this evening, I'm still feeling pretty good about that projection.

The additions of Rutledge and Greer would complete the 2024 class at the position, and help generate a good amount of momentum as GT looks to build the roster for 2024 and beyond.

Sticking with FutureCasts, I am extremely close tonight to entering one for Georgia Tech to land Rivals250 Fla. RB Anthony Carrie.

As I mentioned previously on the buzz locked thread, Georgia Tech went all-in on Carrie today during their in-home visit, bringing head coach Brent Key, RB coach Norv McKenzie, and area recruiter Chris Weinke to the table. Carrie was previously committed to Michigan State, and given the way things played out there with Mel Tucker, Carrie has a different priority list in terms of his future home compared to other recruits ranked similarly.

Carrie was not ready to pull the trigger on a commitment today and shut things down, but the Carrollwood Day tailback is heading into his trip this weekend to College Station with a mindset of "Why not Georgia Tech?" instead of "Why Texas A&M?" and that's just about all you can ask for at this juncture. Especially for a back who did not visit for a single game this season.

Other news and notes:

RB coach Norv McKenzie spent the majority of the day recruiting in Tampa, Graduate Assistant Nathan Brock was in the Macon area. Among Brock's stops was Glynn Academy to see TE commit David Prince.

OL coach Geep Wade went in-home with OL commit Santana Alo-Tupuola, but prior to that he spent the day in South Georgia.

Kenyatta Watson spent the day in Gwinnett County, and per my sources in that part of the city, visited over a dozen schools. The ones I have confirmed-

Grayson
Central Gwinnett
South Gwinnett
Parkview
Norcross
Meadowcreek
Duluth
Buford
Mill Creek
Collins Hill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT