ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Brent Key Media Avail Quotes 11/7

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Happy birthday to Harper, big day in the Key household. She had her door decorated and she is having a party at school right now. We had practice so I couldn’t take her favorite players to see her.

A great win Saturday at a place that has been hard for Georgia Tech to win at, very proud of the staff, players and org. The challenge to all of us to have accountability and to be the best version we can be.

Players of the Week:
D- Jaylon King- he is flying around and playing like a 9th year senior should be (joke). Him and Spider and the other veterans back there played well.
O- Jamal Haynes
SPT- Two guys David Shanahan and Dom Blaylock, we knew it would be a field position game and the way they wanted to play the game. Winning the field position battle by 10 yards. David 3 inside the 20 and 2 inside the 10 and one he’d like back and then Dom had a great punt return. The punt team and punt return team did a nice job. Allows me to have a four down or take a delay mentality to lay it up, and that was a good outcome. We have to get better at some other teams.

This week there is no guarantee and there is some truth to it, when you put the right things in and put in your standard, our standard good things happen. When you don’t bad things happen. That is what we discussed this week. We want the outcome we want, then on Saturday at noon to have the outcome we want.

We have to elevate our standards, I won’t ask a coach or player to play bigger than can, I just want them to be the best they can be at their top level. Don’t play out of your mind or over your head, I don’t believe in that.

Kobe Bryant talked about being obsessed with winning and sticking to the standard for himself, we watched a video on Kobe on Sunday. Talking about the obsessive nature to win the game and be the best you can be, that is the next step for us. The obsessive desire to win. Not playing with anxiety or timidness, but playing the best you can every single day, week or month. You want that obsession with winning and doing everything you can at the best level.

We are getting ready to play the best team against Clemson, my 8th straight year playing against them and I’m excited to play them and we’ve had some success against them and some not. They’ve set a standard for our conference on playing good football.

On Connor Scaglione, he has done a nice job and the OL are getting better every week. I’m really proud of him. When he got here in the summer, it wasn’t just the shock of camp, but the humidity of the South and he continued to progress through camp and the season and he is getting better every week.

On the veterans, we don’t look past today, we prepare for tomorrow and don’t worry about the future. You want to be in the moment.

On Leo, it would be bionic if he could come back, 5 months on an ACL would be a record.

On other injuries from the game, Ahmari had a lower ankle injury he was out there today, progressing faster, he was running up and down the sideline to get loose. He is a competitive guy. Kenan played a great football game, he got banged up a few games ago, he has elevated himself. He got hit in the thigh he is a full go. If you see the play Horace made, he is a big man making a play down the line of scrimmage. I was worried about the poor kid from UVA. Horace will bounce back, he was out there smiling and laughing, hopefully he is a full go and can give us reps on Saturday.

On Clemson, first thing is worrying about ourselves and being the best version of ourselves and having the best plan of attack and playing fast. Going in there it is stadium with 2 end zones and 53 ½ across and 120 total yards with a big hill people roll down, it is similar to UVA and Wake there, but it gets loud. We will prepare with crowd noise every day. We are preparing for that. They are a good football team. I don’t look at records, there are things Dabo is doing to play to the strengths of his team. Don’t forget his college coach, Coach Stallings, he knows how to win games old school. The defense is the standard and as good as anyone in the country. They have good players who are older and offensively they are finding an identity and that led to success last week.

On a win at Clemson would mean, It would be the next game, but each week is a season there is no tomorrow after Saturday as far as we are concerned and we will lay it all on the line and take our punches and anybody that has seen our team after the win last week and how excited they are. It is another team, but they are the standard for our conference and what they’ve accomplished is remarkable in the last 12 years and what they’ve done, it would be big, but we are not going to make it more than it is, that is when the anxiety and the emotion take over.

On game prep that works for away games, we’ve adapted the schedule and this has been a set plan since the summer for practice plans, we’ve stuck to that model of adapting practices week-to-week, the key is player availability.

On Dylan Leonard stepping up and the TEs stepping up, Dylan as a weapon as far as catching the football?, #2 is playing as good as any TE in the country blocking with core blocks, moving blocks on the perimeter I cannot be more proud of that kid right now. He bleeds white and gold and is all about this place. Watch the way he plays, 45-60 plays in the game, he is Georgia Tech. That is the GRIT, the toughness and the way he plays every week. To get 2-3 catches is a bonus for this team, that entire position group is playing as good as the TE position anytime in my career. I’ve told every one of them and we are able to put more volume into our offense because of their experience and toughness. Luke has done so much out wide and into the core. Not everyone can catch it, we had 10 guys with catches and that shows what Buster and the O staff can do. #2 has been able to do for us offensively, holy cow, I mean he is a vital key core in what we are doing.

On Eddie, he had production in the run game and TFLs and the one where he tipped the swing pass is something I’ve only seen once or twice, he is maturing and I stopped him on Sunday and to see his growth and maturity it is really starting to show on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News