ADVERTISEMENT

Beesball Weekend (April 22-24): at Clemson

An eye on the weather for Friday night's game. Pretty good chance of rain and t'storms.

Saturday & Sunday should be beautiful. Won't be surprised if we see a DH on Saturday or Sunday if Mother Nature wants to be angry tomorrow night.

The White Teamers didn't want the Spring Game on Friday Night, so they could keep those cheap Russell jerseys all clean. If it rains on theTigers with a lake, it will likely do the same here.

Saturday will be 100 degrees, 110 on Marta next to some sweaty dudes. Someone will stand in front of us during the game as big as Frankenstein. Don't you miss the Hive?

Scattered rain moving through this morning and looks like the afternoon showers will be building today over the lake. You may be correct about the double header.

Seriously wonder how more scrutiny is not placed on this GA Tech program.

We're now 8-9 in ACC play. We've lost to seriously outmanned Auburn, UGAG and Mercer teams OOC. Not sure why CDH gets an annual pass on serious criticism.

Apparently, he raises a lot of money where the program doesn't drain from the athletic budget and may even make money. Sad that this is the standard for staying HC if this is indeed the case.

We haven't missed the NCAAT in consecutive seasons in 32 years. We are still being projected in the NCAAT...for now. Still a lot of time left to pad the resume'. But, need to do better. Making the NCAAT should not be the goal. Advancing in the NCAAT should be the goal.

The team bailed us out with an improbable run to win the ACCT 4 years ago. That team wasn't going to be invited. I just think the Tech fanbase has split more than ever now. "Split" as in the football-only crowd is more exclusive. There are the football and MBB only crowd. Then, there are perhaps less than 20% which care about the spring sports, WBB, and Volleybees.

Apathy is a beyatch. It has set in with Beesball for a LOT of Tech fans I believe. Losing 2 at home to Duke, 2 at home to NC State, 1 at home to the Cesspool of late absolutely does NOT help win fans over.

I can't disagree with one thing you've stated.

We have had so much MLB talent(watched Derick Dietrich shine just the other night), that it makes your case with our apathy even stronger. I'm guiltier than most because making a change in baseball scares me with this AD. You have made excellent points about how we can do better than this staff, in the past. I'm afraid they will let him retire here, which really is too liberal for any program in any sport. A shame money drives the buses and we give it to thesevcoaches when they have a singular big season.

I expect no change. Danny has 1 kid as a freshman this year and another on the way. So, he's not going anywhere on his behalf. Tech doesn't care enough about beesball to put any pressure on him to expect better.

The facilities upgrades have been spearheaded by former players - mostly Tex.

I'm going to say it as I highly doubt I'm alone in thinking it, but I wonder if Jonathan Hughes is really regretting not taking the $900K signing bonus and going straight into pro ball at this point. CONFUSED

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Factoid du jour... last time Tech won a beesball series at AWaL was 2005 (2-1).

Some great points here. GTJT, you know I have been highly critical in the past with the lack of attention that beesball success drives at GA Tech. I am, and have been for a long time, in the camp that the UGAg series absolutely MUST become a weekend series in order to draw our best. Why play a series against them without it being our best?

Getting to the NCAAT in baseball is like getting a MEG in football. 64 teams. Are we content to be a top 64 team? It sure appears so, but it appears we may not, if this season continues as is.

CFDH has given us some great seasons, but the last 10 have been entirely forgettable.

Miami & Florida have been playing an early season weekend series for years. Clemson and South Carolina just recently moved to the same format. I like the way Clemson & USCe do it. One game on each campus and then one at a neutral site over the course of the weekend.

FSU and Florida still do it the way Tech & the Cesspool do. Same for UofL and Kentucky.

The game at The Ted for the children's hospital is a huge money-raiser and I don't know if it will do nearly as well in cooler weather early in the season while March Madness is going on. The home games in April on each program's home fields are good gate games and I doubt they draw as much in March as well. But, you never know.

Otherwise, I completely agree. Side note, I think the MBB series was gaining momentum on a national scene until that cheater, Dooley, decided to move it away from Atlanta because Cremins was kicking their ass 3 out of every 4 years.

I can understand Tech having some limitations in competing for national titles in FB, though I don't wallow in the excuses like some others constantly do. (note, we've won a national title more recently than the Cesspool) What I don't understand is the other male sports really should be competing for national titles like they do at UVA, UNC, etc. Though in a bit of a lull the last few years, women's sports at Tech have come light years from where we were at the turn of the century. Still interesting to me, yet sad, that Tech's ONLY NCAA title is in a women's program.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Told my son the other day when Hughes was still out on a Sunday....that he must regret not signing. You go to college to gain a career, make a living, be skilled at something more particular.

If offered a million at that age, you take it and put 3/4 in an interest bearing fund. Come up lame in college, you sure better get that degree or be haunted for life.

I say play the rival 7 games. Three one weekend at home, three another weekend over there. One for CHOA.
Baskets home and home and Phillips or Dome. Three each season.
Get rid of the patsies on the schedules.

In other breaking news, play the football game in the beginning of the year(rotate between BDS, Fred Sanford and Dome, Sweet, Dome. If they beyatch, tell them where to stick their dawg bone. We can then summon UCLMora to a contest every August(he doesn't play a spring game, they ought to be ready for a Falcons Dome trip in 2018).

JJ's up 5-2 and outhitting the Orangenecks, 10-1 in the 6th.

Gold pitching well. Defense hurt him early on, but he settled down.

Hopefully, the guys can hang on and get the series off to a super start.

Friday updates...

-BC upset UofL, 6-1
-Duke at Va Tech postponed due to rain...rescheduled to DH Saturday
-Wake is up 3-1 over the Cheaters in the (GO DEACS!!)
-France leads Cuba in Havana 5-0 in the 4th
-Noles leads the Irish 5-3 in the 6th at Tally

7 runs given up and only 1 earned. 3 more errors. Unreal.

FRUSTRATION

Deacs help out the Coastal by taking down the Cheaters, 6-1. Nice!

Lightning delay at Kingsmore Stadium. Heading to the 9th tied 7-7. JJ's need to get this one whether tonight or finishing up tomorrow.

Game suspended. Will pick back up tomorrow at 4pm tied 7-7 heading to top 9th.

Miami & Florida have been playing an early season weekend series for years. Clemson and South Carolina just recently moved to the same format. I like the way Clemson & USCe do it. One game on each campus and then one at a neutral site over the course of the weekend.

FSU and Florida still do it the way Tech & the Cesspool do. Same for UofL and Kentucky.

The game at The Ted for the children's hospital is a huge money-raiser and I don't know if it will do nearly as well in cooler weather early in the season while March Madness is going on. The home games in April on each program's home fields are good gate games and I doubt they draw as much in March as well. But, you never know.

Otherwise, I completely agree. Side note, I think the MBB series was gaining momentum on a national scene until that cheater, Dooley, decided to move it away from Atlanta because Cremins was kicking their ass 3 out of every 4 years.

I can understand Tech having some limitations in competing for national titles in FB, though I don't wallow in the excuses like some others constantly do. (note, we've won a national title more recently than the Cesspool) What I don't understand is the other male sports really should be competing for national titles like they do at UVA, UNC, etc. Though in a bit of a lull the last few years, women's sports at Tech have come light years from where we were at the turn of the century. Still interesting to me, yet sad, that Tech's ONLY NCAA title is in a women's program.

It could be done, even in late April. Move one ACC series up a week, if necessary, maybe even Clemson or Miami since they do the same thing. It's doable if the GTAA wants to. But they don't give it that much thought, I perceive.

The Dooley approach is my paradigm here. Like him or not, there is a guy who knew how important it was to win against your in-state rival. We were absolutely torching them in the Omni MBB game, and he sacrificed the additional revenue for a home-home. He protected his program. That's what a savvy AD should do. We are head up against UGAg in this state for brand and the $$ of those that follow it. Winning is the best rep for a brand.

The GTAA simply does not recognize this. I would agree with the comment above that we should move our football game with the mutts to Labor Day weekend. You'd have 15-20% of their players suspended, and more of our thin depth healthy. The heck with tradition, winning more would cure any ill feelings in short order.

All nice to say, but the other side has to agree to it. The SEC starts beesball a week after the ACC does. I doubt they'll go along with a weekend series in late April. And "they" means not just the Cesspool, but the SEC schedule makers.

I like the football game right where it is. Just one idiot's opinion.

The Hokies help our cause of making the ACCT. Va Tech defeats Rutgers-Durham, 3-2, in game 1 of their series, which was pushed back to today due to weather last night. Game 2 coming up shortly.

Scoreless 9th for both teams has the series opener now heading to the top of the 10th. Jackets really - and I mean REALLY - need to get the win here.

Clemson wins game 1, 8-7, with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th. Ugh.

Clemson scores 8 runs, only 2 are earned. Tech outhits them 14-9, but 3 errors prove extremely costly.

They will now wait almost 2 hours to start Game 2 for some stupid reason.

BC takes down Louisville for the 2nd day in a row. This time 2-1. Eagles go for the very unexpected sweep on Sunday.

Duke is thumping the Hokies in Game 2, 14-6, in the 4th.

Deacs take down the Cheaters for the 2nd day in a row and go for the sweep tomorrow. This, for the moment though, moves Tech outside the top 10 in the ACC.

Tech though has jumped ahead again on the Kitty Cats. Let's hope tonight we can hold the lead and not give them the game like we did in Game 1.

Ho hum. Just another 16-1 lead in the 9th on the road in the ACC.

ACCT seeds heading into Sunday...

1. Miami 14-4
2. FSU 12-4
3. UofL 13-7
4. NC State 10-6
5. Virginia 10-10
6. Notre Dame 10-10
7. Ga Tech 9-10
8. Pitt 8-9
T9. Clemson 9-11
T9. Wake 9-11
T9. Cheaters 9-11
-----------------------------
12. Duke 8-12
13. BC 7-11
14. Va Tech 4-16

Big day for the Jackets. ND finishes its series at FSU possibly going to get swept. Virginia is at Miami in the rubber match of their series. Wake looks to sweep the Cheaters in Winston. BC looks to continue to get into the race for the ACCT with an improbable sweep of the Cards.

The give-away loss in Game 1 of the series hurts as do the others at home to Duke & NC State. But, that's in the rear view mirror at the moment. Need to come out and get behind TBA today.

Clemson's pitches looking like watermelons coming to the plate right now for the JJ's. 4 hits and 4 runs so far in the top of the 1st. Nice to see. Keep it going, JJ's!!

No matter what happens the rest of the way, a tip of the cap to Jake Lee and Burton Dulaney (aka TBA today) for a job well done today.

7.2 IP, 3 runs (all earned), 5 hits allowed.

Hopefully Micah and/or Gorst can get us through to a series victory.

Deacs sweep the Cheaters with a 3-2 win. Love it!

UofL salvages a series win at Chestnut Hill, 6-2.

The Kids from New Jersey defeat the Cow Tippers in the beautiful pastures of Southwest Virginy, 3-1.

The French are hanging on 5-3 in the bottom of the 8th in Havana in hopes of pulling out a huge road series win.

The Noles gave up 5 in the top of the 1st to the Irish and were down 5-0 heading to the bottom of the 5th. But, now lead 11-5 batting in the bottom of the 8th.

GREAT JOB, JJ's!!!

Series win at Clemson is huge. Very easily could have been a sweep.

Tech likely wakes up Monday morning inside the leather on qualifying for pool play at the ACCT in the top 6.

For now, well done TECH!!

Rock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock Horns
clapclapclapclapclapclapclap
BANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCE

Last edited:
We drop a pop up or pop fly to lose a heartbreaker, then Gorst gets hit in the rear end to save our arses in the bottom of the ninth.

Beesball a game of inches, literally.

Noles finish off the sweep of the Irish. French now up 7-3 heading to the bottom of the 9th. Assuming the Frenchies hang on, the ACCT seed picture starts the week off looking like this...

1. FSU 13-4
2. Miami 14-5
3. UofL 14-7
4. NC State 10-6
5. France 11-10
6. JOLTIN JACKETS 10-10
7. Wake 10-11
8. Irish 9-10
9. Pitt 8-9
T10. Clemson 9-12
T10. Cheaters 9-12
T10. Rutgers-Durham 9-12
---------------------------------
13. BC 7-12
14. Cow Tippers 4-17

We drop a pop up or pop fly to lose a heartbreaker, then Gorst gets hit in the rear end to save our arses in the bottom of the ninth.

Beesball a game of inches, literally.

This weekend at Doug Kingsmore it reminded of the JOLTIN' Jackets of old. Banging the ball around and scoring a bunch of runs. Let's hope the bats stay warm this week.

I edited a couple of posts above as I forgot we host Coastal Carolina next weekend before hosting the Canes 2 weeks from now. CCU will be a tough series.

A bunch of ACC clubs are playing OOC series next weekend so only 3 ACC series. FWIW, a look ahead to next weekend's ACC series...

FSU at Clemson
Duke at NC State
Virginia at Pitt (DH on Sat and 1 game on Sun)

RPI Live now shows Tech at #21 after the series win at Clemson. We are 5-7 versus the RPI top 20.

This week we travel to the Cesspool (#27) and host Coastal Carolina (#14) for 3.

Our SOS will just continue to rise with these games, another against the Cesspool and then Miami and traveling to Paris on the horizon. Our overall SOS right now is #27 in the nation.

Really hoping we can be at or a game over .500 when BC comes to town for the season finale. Reminder, the last 2 years the 6th place team to qualify automatically for the pool play at the ACCT had records of 15-14 (Maryland, 2014) and again 15-14 (NC State, 2015).

Can we win 6 of our last 9 ACC games? Let's hope so.

I keep awaiting the run, the chemistry builder(not as strong in bases as hoops, but still prevalent).
Yes, we can take 6 of 9. Hopefully, all 9! At Ga. Tech, we can do that!!

Back to your regularly scheduled dream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT