ADVERTISEMENT

BasketJackets recruiting

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The verbal commit by Christian Matthews is a shot in the arm for the program. In '15-'16 upon his arrival, Matthews will have a shot (pun intended) at immediately starting or at minimum significant playing time. Q Stephens will be a senior and is the most likely candidate to be the starter at the 3 position filling Marcus Georges-Hunt's departed starting role.

It is incredibly important for CBG to land local scoring guard, Brandon Robinson (4* 6'5" from Douglas Co. HS). He is a borderline 5* projected talent who has significant interest from the likes of UNC, FSU, and Louisville. Robinson can light it up from the outside and he could/should be a candidate to immediately start as a true freshman. I know Tadric Jackson will return at the 2 position, but Robinson brings an outside consistency presence in shooting that the team desperately needs. It will be tough to land him with the competition, but hopefully Tech being near home will help.

CBG needs at least 2 more guys in the post - either signing or via transfer as a stop gap. I am moving forward in this post under the (perhaps wrong) assumption that CBG remains HC moving forward after this upcoming season which is what we have to view it as on August 25th. I'm reading good things about Lammers' development. Let's hope it continues this upcoming season with more playing time and quality performances. The true freshman Ogbonda would also be a candidate to start as a soph in '15-'16 in the paint. AD Gueye returns but that's about it and that's very thin in terms of depth (and ACC caliber quality IMO).

It will also be interesting to see if CBG can land a point guard in this year's class or if we wait until next year when Heath & Heyward are seniors (and Jorgenson is a junior). Most of all, the ability to land big timers with the cloud hanging over Tech's program right now in terms of its future with the coaching staff adds a major set of question marks. Kudos to CBG and staff for landing Matthews. Landing Robinson would be a huge win if it were to happen and could build some momentum. Will be interesting to watch.

Edit note: Louisville just lost out on one of the top shooting guards in the nation in Markelle Fultz. This perhaps helps their chances with Robinson. UNC has no commits yet for the 2016 class. Their pending NCAA investigation and possible penalties could have some recruits on edge. FSU signed 2 big time shooting guards last year and already has a commit for another one in the '16 class. If Robinson selects FSU as some have him pegged to do, he will get in a deep line for playing time there. The Cesspool is also in the mix.

Last edited:
I think Matthews can take the wing position from Georges-Hunt after he graduates. He looks to be a very talented player. Maybe a little under rated. Surprised Maryland wasn't in the mix for him.

Thanks for the update, mate. While a bit disappointing, completely understandable considering the depth we have at the PG position. We really need to hit a home run with a PG in the '17 class.

As stated in the OP, similar logjam at 2G at (reportedly favorite) FSU for Robinson to consider. Looks like we get a visit from him this upcoming weekend. Hope it goes great. We need him badly. 247Sports' Robinson bio... http://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Robinson-75479

From yesterday...

Shun Williams @OntheRadarHoops
Georgia, GA Tech, Florida State & Louisville were in to see 16' guard Brandon Robinson @BRob_4 Douglas County (GA) @DaileyCam

Retweeted by Brandon Robinson

Hopefully, CBG and staff along with the other players can make a helluvan impression on Brandon this weekend. If anybody at the FB game sees him, I hope they make him feel at home. We REALLY need this young man. FSU is considered the favorite but as already stated there is a logjam at the 2-guard in Tallahassee already. Georgia is also in the running reportedly along with UNC and Louisville. CBG has so many obstacles in his way as we all know, but landing Robinson (along with a surprisingly good season this upcoming winter) could be the last hope of saving his job.

A couple of Tech mentions from Phil Kornblut today...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...recruiting/phil-kornblut/article34853271.html

• The Gamecocks also are checking in on 6-foot-10 Sedee Keita of Philadelphia. He once attended a school in Greenville but is now at Putnam Science Academy in Connecticut. Assistant coach Josh Scraba said the Gamecocks have been in touch about coming up to watch Keita work out. Providence, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Temple and Kansas State have been in this week. He has taken unofficial visits to Providence and Temple and may take an official visits to Providence. Clemson has also been an offer for him but has not been in touch recently.

• De’Riante Jenkins (6-6) of Hargrave Prep, Va., has been visited this week by Clemson, LSU, Tennessee, VCU, Georgia Tech and Rutgers. He said USC had an in-home visit with his mother in Santee and is coming to see him Monday. Jenkins has taken an official visit to VCU and will go to Tennessee this weekend. He’s going to Rutgers Sept. 25 and Clemson Oct. 3.

I'd take Jenkins off the big board. He's stated in a Phenom Hoops Report interview that his last OV is between South Carolina & LSU. That said, he's on an OV to UTK this wknd and they lead in his 247 Crystal Ball

Keita is a hot name, but my understanding, per twitter, is that we were at PSA to see Chuba Ohams.

Per Jeff Borzello of ESPN, Romello White is in for an unofficial today, which is nice, given he was scheduled for an official to South Carolina this wknd.

BRob is on campus for his official. While I think FSU leads, I think we're closing the gap. That said, despite FSU needing to fill 2 post spots, I think they're expecting Dwayne Bacon to go pro at minimum. I do think BRob would really like to stay home, but BG's record is an inhibitor.

Meanwhile, Okogie has been tweeting from his UTK OV and seems to be having a good time. Gotta hope he doesn't commit, but I think we're tracking other perimeter targets.

We were VERY ACTIVE on the visit front this week.

CTH was all over the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic - Marfo at Worcester, PSA to see their squad (Ohams interest named), Blake Harris at Carlisle, Maliek White in Richmond (our last realistic 2016 PG prospect).

BG made a lot of rounds locally - Opened at a loaded Westlake squad (Chuma Okeke, Danny & Jamie Lewis, Michael Durr), in-home with Brandon Robinson, Norcross (Rashaun Hammonds & Lance Thomas), Wheeler to see Darius Perry.

We were also in FL to check on Darius Hicks, a potential 2016 wing offer.

There was a bit more activity, but can't really post it out of respect to various pay walls.

FWIW, I think BG survives this season regardless. If we didn't have $7MM to wipe the slate clean of coach buyouts after last season, we won't have $4MM to wipe the slate clean after this season.

Thanks as always for the insights, dtm. You are a good Tech fan. Well done!

I still think FSU is not going to sign Robinson. Last year, they signed 6'5" 4* CG Terance Mann, 6'4" 4* CG Malik Beasley, 6'6" 5* Dwayne Bacon, and this year already has a commit from 6'3" 4* SG Trent Forrest. That's not to say Robinson isn't as good as those guys or won't be able to crack the lineup for PT. But, why join a queue when you can go elsewhere and be the starter from Day 1 and get 25-30 minutes a game minimum?

He can get that at Tech likely. But, like you said, dtm, the clouds hovering around the program and question marks about CBG's future hurt us big time. I think if Robinson actually waits to commit until the spring, it is an advantage for Tech because it may give CBG some time to cash into a positive season and upswing in program momentum (if he can actually delivery that, to which I unfortunately remain skeptical).

I think UNC is now putting the full court press on Robinson and they very well may lead for him coming out of his upcoming visit to Blue Heaven this upcoming weekend. Only a hunch, but my guess is it will eventually come down to UNC or Louisville. UofL is on some other SG's who may commit first and effect Robinson's views. We'll see. In the end, I expect UNC to win out. Pending NCAA probations could affect things, but I'm more skeptical of that ever happening than CBG pulling a surprising season out of his buttock region, TBH.

Last edited:
BRob visits UNC this wknd & FSU in mid-October.

The biggest knock on GT is results to date under BG. I think we'll struggle here, but remain in it until told otherwise.

UNC is really hoping to land him, but they have other guards that will be on the roster, other guards they're recruiting alongside him for this year, and a commitment at his position behind him in 2017. Add the NCAA clouds and I think UNC fans are more convinced than BRob is.

FSU is an interesting situation. They have 1 opening and are clearly focused on post players. They can probably use two post players, but could make do with 1. That said, Dwayne Bacon is a likely 1 & done and Rathan-Mayes may go pro after this year as well. While FSU would still have 5 young perimeter players already in the fold, a spot would open for BRob and Forrest & Beasley are both GA Stars (same AAU program as BRob). I think FSU is in the driver's seat as a result.

I have my fingers crossed CBG (or whoever) is able to attract a couple of grad transfers (hey, just being realistic) for immediate contribution and perhaps even starting in the post. Love the guys who wear our unis of course, but we need some help and depth for Ogbonda, Lammers, and AD in '16-'17.

I am cautiously optimistic that Lammers is going to be a completely different player in Year 2 - stronger, more PT, gaining experience, stepping up, etc.

Looked through the first college hoops publication at the grocery store last night, with no mention of us in the top 40(page 38, the Lady J's were nowhere to be found either). Got me depressed. Started looking at top front courts, back courts, zilch! Started looking at recruiting...seeing if Ogbonda or the newest Jacket were in there...seeking the predictions of the NCAA Tourney....got to the last page and found the complete bracket with results from the 2015 Tournament with Duke crowned and Ga. State having advanced. I pictured Ron Hunter and the chairs. Then another face crossed through my memory. It was our own CBG with his hand over his face sitting down, bent forward, fingers in eyes after another close defeat.

This morning I read dtm on the gtswarm site. Couldn't disagree with a word he said. The dissertation, expose on GT Basketball was spot on. More depression.

Oh Bobby, where have ye gone? and do you have 4-6 million to spare? Can you get Mark and the NBA regulars to take up a collection plate?

Last edited:
I can't post on gtswarm from work, but I'll say there later what I'll say here now. I know that people will be coming out of the woodwork soon enough to resume flippant, snarky potshots at all aspects of the program. While I'm not happy with the way things are, I've accepted reality and do my best to move forward with balanced information gathering & analysis, as well as hoping for better results.

I'm all for exhibiting reasonable, respectful levels of frustration, but instead of getting in to p*ssing matches with snarks, I've decided to make sure they have the gnaw in the back of their heads of the high likelihood BG is safe after this season regardless of outcome. They'll hem & haw about a dumpster fire this or BG is terrible that, but in the back of their heads, they'll be left to realize that all the bellyaching is on deaf ears. Especially, since I'll have them on ignore and, hopefully, they'll do the same to me.

Finances are driving the bus. it is what it is. If people want more from GT basketball, they better start sending in donation with notes of their expectations.

I am thankful that the coaches are working as hard as they are, many would not be... And didn't in the past.

I am looking forward to cheering on the Jackets on the court. Play their best.

I too look forward to this upcoming season. Of course, I say that every year. Even in the dark ages many moons ago.

I think Adam Smith is going to be a real shot (pun intended) in the rim for us. I am hopeful CBG takes heart to what his boss said at season's end and I quote... "offense can't be something we just do between defensive possessions". A gunner like Smith can make a lot of coaches look a lot smarter - especially at crunch time when you need a capable creator to get you over the hump late in very close games.

Jackson should be better. Hopefully he plays much smarter in his 2nd year. Shot selection needs to improve along with shot making ;). I think we'll be OK at the point position. Nothing spectacular, but they don't have to be. MGH will be steady in his last campaign. Mitchell needs to get back to being a double-double machine just about every night out. And then, the combo of Jacobs, White and Lammers needs to give us another double-double cumulative. Stephens can and likely will bring solid depth and decent shooting and defending off the bench.

I like the schedule as well. I think it sets up really good for us. A nice mix of tough OOC games, 18 homes games, a good Turkey Day 2-game set to test us in late November, a chance to make it 5 in a row over the Cesspool of course, etc. I'll worry about '16-'17 when it gets here.

Finances are driving the bus. it is what it is. If people want more from GT basketball, they better start sending in donation with notes of their expectations.

I am thankful that the coaches are working as hard as they are, many would not be... And didn't in the past.

I am looking forward to cheering on the Jackets on the court. Play their best.

Well said by a person who understands reality.

Getting back to recruiting... current info on posts.

We were eliminated by Kevin Marfo yesterday. Dan McDonald of Rivals has tweeted about Romello White's unofficial last wknd and likely OV sometime in October. BG, per Evan Daniels tweet, was at Oak Hill earlier this week, likely checking in on Khadim Sy, a post prospect who's visited unofficially earlier this summer. There's also some shaky info out there in the twittersphere (good source, but no confirmations) that we've offered Maciej Bender of Mountain Mission.

Not surprised by Marfo's direction...

I am glad to see Romello White's decision to take an official visit. That's a positive sign for his recruitment.

I have two degrees from Ma Tech. Might I have a chance to be a grad transfer?

I think CBG could use a 50 year old fat guy out on the perimeter. If nothing else, I can be one of his goons. You know, come in once or twice a game to take out the opponent's hot hand.

In case CBG or staff reads this, I'm here. Ready and willing.

CTR already has dibs on your remaining eligibility, should Patrick Gamble ever get moved to the outside rush end permanently. He has to go through your acting guardian(since you are not living with Dad these days), and that would be Stech. He might not allow you field time until those Bud Light statues have been finalized, totally constructed. No injuries to your fingers either, we need you posting.

I like the new 30 second shot clock and the five foul elimination time lapse being reduced. The game needs to go faster, and maybe Jorgie, Smith, Tadric, et al, will get in their groove with a little faster pace. That CTOffense needs to get flushed.

Robinson will announce reportedly today at 2:30pm at his high school. He was scheduled to visit FSU for an OV the weekend of Oct. 9, but I have to think that will be postponed considering he is supposed to be announcing today. I have to believe he will be announcing he wants to be a Tar Hole later this afternoon.

The F$U game is a difficult ticket this year at HC. This young man picked the right weekend to visit!

Thanks for the good news!!

homecoming is almost always a near sell out. Not sure why GT couldn't get another homecoming game. FSU was going to sell out on its own.

wasted opportunity for the box office and Ga Tech.

If you scroll down to the analysis exchange of the de commit, it is explained fairly well on why he and the new staff might be going in different directions:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/2016-three-star-Darius-Hicks-talks-de-commit-from-MSU-36368492
I don't blame the kid for changing. I expect he did at least have a few conversations with the new staff. If it had been a coach that he'd had previously met or talked with, he may have stuck with them. But knowing your college coach is a big part of the decision.

Okogie is expected to announce on October 12th between Tech, Tennessee and Kansas State. Tech has a really good shot at landing this one and it would be a very nice shot (pun intended) in the arm if we can.

Side note regarding the BasketJackets (and Lady J's)...

...2 years ago the NCAA approved a resolution allowing D1A hoops programs to start practice officially 42 days prior to their first game. Since the BJ's and LJ's open with a doubleheader on Friday, Nov. 13, at the Gigantic Melon, this means they will be opening practice this upcoming Friday, October 2, later this week.

Welcome Hoops!

Looking forward to seeing E. E. play inside for the Lady Bees next season. She is in the best shape of any of our current roster players.

Josh and his family were on an unofficial visit to GT on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 11.

All I can say is that Tenn. and Kansas St.(surprisingly might be his second choice)are on the outside looking in. His friends are going to Wofford, Siena, George Mason, App. St. and Geo. Wash. So, I do not see a connection that might pull him away.

Season opens 3 weeks from today. Looking forward to it. But, I've said that for the last 40+ years thru thin and thick. Always look forward to MBB and Lady J's getting going.

Lady J's have an exhibition coming up on Nov. 2nd. The BasketJackets were supposed to scrimmage Memphis behind closed doors in Birmingham some time soon IIRC.

Any news on Khadim Sy? I researched a few sites regarding him earlier this week. Lots of variability in the listing of his height, btw. I've seen 6'9", 6'10" and one site that had him as a 7-footer. WOW! :confused:

I'd bet Sy is closer to those lower numbers, which is fine. Nothing in the ether about his visit to GT. Dan McDonald tweeted he visits VT & Miami the next 2 wknds, which will complete his 5 visits. VT & us were in attendance last night at Oak Hill's scrimmage and here's some commentary from the Phenom Hoops guys. Sy played very well.

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/news_article/show/567635?referrer_id=1555437

Sy was listed at 6'10" 240 during some of the Summer Camps. N'Diaye, CBG had him on campus last weekend-10-16 and 10-17-15. Heard he is playing for Steve Smith this year?

Matt Painter of Purdue is personally handling his recruitment, and has developed some good ties. He apparently enjoyed his visit during September. Not sure if any more visits are forthcoming with VT or Miami before Khadim makes his decision. High academic young man who wants engineering.

FWIW, Sy was scheduled to visit VT this wknd & Miami next wknd, which will complete his OVs.

We reportedly, per various tweets, had a strong contingent of unofficials at the FSU game tonight.

• JJ Smith - 2017 SG, has offer, #118 in 247 composite, composite 4-star
  • Michael Durr - 2017 post player from Westlake HS, likely we offer at some point, #88 in 247 composite, composite 4-star
  • Reikan Donaldson - 2018 wing from Wheeler
  • Jordan "Snow" Brown - 2019 PG from Westover, word is he's highly regarded

Reactions: GTJT622
dtm, there is a Golden Sainthood in this for you some day. Always appreciate the info, mate.

There were a few more confirmed by Corey Evans on Twitter.

PG Darius Perry & SGs Elias Harden and DeAundre Ballard.

All 3, along with Durr & JJ Smith are top 100 types in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT