ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Assistant Coaching Search Update 12/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So Brent Key has spent the weekend touching base with various offensive coordinators of interest. He is tapping deep into his well of connections and has contacted almost a dozen possible OCs and interviewed several.

Among the names still in consideration is one in-house candidate Chris Weinke. According to my sources, Weinke is expected to remain on staff even if there is an outside OC hire. He is in play after helping with the final two games of the season with some things and he is Brent's right-hand guy right now on the offensive side. He apparently is looking at OCs throughout college football and not just P5 splash hires. He wants to find someone who will run the type of offense he thinks will be successful at GT.

I've had lots of people ask me about some specific names and neither Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern nor John David Baker are not considered to be in contention for the OC spot at this time per my sources, they directly gave me a no on both names. Obviously, Tenn and NC State are now entering the OC search and Alabama is expected to as well at some point in the near future.

There are four spots currently open on the field assuming that JB Hall (special teams) and Donald Hill-Eley (RBs) are not retained as on-the-field coaches and move back to their former roles or leave.

For those wondering about things like OL coach, RB coach, WR coach etc... on the offensive side, that will be addressed once he HIRES the offensive coordinator and not before that.

I do not expect additional changes on the defensive side of the ball until after NSD if at all. Key is pretty happy with where things are at there.

As I've maintained any recruiting office or support staff stuff will be handled as needed but the preference is to get through OVs and NSD before doing anything there.

Key has a very specific plan for how he wants to do everything and he isn't going to rush into bad hires either. I should have some better names soon on the OC front as I continue digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News