ADVERTISEMENT

8 Weeks to Toe Meets Leather...Game 4 Preview: Clemson

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The defending ACC Champs and D1A runner-ups roll into Bobby Dodd Stadium on a Thursday night for the nationwide ESPN cameras coming off a home glorified scrimmage blowout most likely of South Carolina State. This will be the Kitty Cats second road game of the season as they open at Auburn before hosting Troy and SC State. This game will go up against the NFL Thursday game of the week, Texans at Patriots, which kicks off around what should be the start of the 2nd quarter in the Clemson-Tech game at 8:25 on CBS.

Game Info: Sep. 22, Thursday, 7:30, ESPN

Last Meeting: 2015, Clemson destroyed Tech 43-24 at Death Valley in a game that IMO the final margin wasn't really indicative of how dominant Clemson was...Clemson was up 40-10 with 2 minutes to go in the 3Q, for instance

All-time series: Tech leads 51-28-2...Tech leads 44-13-2 at home...Tech has defeated Clemson on Grant Field 5 straight times...last Clemson win on Grant Field was 2003...3 of those 5 straight wins saw Clemson as a ranked team...Paul Johnson is 5-4 vs Clemson as HC at Tech

Clemson Offense: Not much really needs to be said. One word... loaded. They have a Heisman front-runner and potentially the overall #1 pick in next spring's NFL draft in QB DeShaun Watson, who returns to Atlanta for his final game back "home". They have an underrated runner (IMO) in Gallman. They don't rebuild at the skill positions. They just reload. Clemson continues to bring in burners at the WR position. It will require one of Tech's best defensive efforts in many years to hold Clemson under 30 points. Having said that, it can be done. Tech has proven that over Clemson more than once when they've rolled into town with an explosive offense.

Clemson Defense: As Athlon pointed out in its preview of Clemson... "A year ago, Brent Venables lost nine starters from the nation’s No. 1 defense and forged a unit that still finished No. 10 nationally." That pretty much supports the notion that Clemson is now at a point where they just reload on defense as well. Clemson has defensive players yet again projected in the first 2 rounds of next spring's NFL Draft. For more from Athlon... http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/clemson-tigers-2016-preview-and-prediction

What I Expect To Happen: This should be a great atmosphere and BDS will be rocking. Clemson attempts to exorcise some demons that have haunted them over the last decade with Tech ending up on top when playing at Grant Field. I think Tech will be jacked up and will keep this game interesting until mid-3Q when Clemson's superior talent will take over. I don't think Clemson runs away from Tech until late, but they get the 2 TD victory with a late score to seal it. Would love to be wrong on this one, but have to lean towards the Tigers... Clemson wins 41-27...Tech moves to 2-2/0-2 on the season

Remember 2014? Clemson-GT highlights of the Tigers' last trip to BDS...

How about the last time Clemson traveled to BDS for a night game? 2011...Tigers were ranked #6 in the nation...Tech went into this game on a 2-game losing streak after opening the season 6-0...

Enjoy!

Reactions: BornAJacket
Tech faced Clemson twice in 2009...

First, the Tech win at home on a Thursday night 30-27...

Also, Tech won an ACC title (yes, I said it) over the Tigers in Tampa...

Last edited:
Jon Tenuta's bunch held Clemson to 3 points in a 13-3 win in 2007...

(gosh, I miss Tenuta and his defense)

One for the books...Tech steals one at the end over Clemson in 2004...

Dabo's first game as Head Coach at Clemson (interim label at the time)...2008 at Clemson, the Jackets get the 21-17 win...

This is 2 hours of video, but want to relive one of the greatest in the series (well, for Tech fans at least)...

...the Fridge Mover Game from 1984 on Grant Field...

Who can ever forget the late TD for the win from George Gutsy to Kerry Watkins in 2000?...

Here's a treasure...the 1990 Tech win in entirety at Grant Field...

Even Bill Lewis could beat the Tigers at Grant Field...1992...

I wouldn't say "only"...

...Miami 31-7 heading into the 4Q. Outscored us 24-0 in the 2Q+3Q. Wasn't really in doubt at all.

To Tech's credit and a last 2-minute flurry, we made the final margin look more reasonable at Notre Dame. A very difficult 2nd half to sit in the stands and deal with though. There was no question who the dominant team was that day though. The final score was rather misleading.

Certainly, the rest of the losses were very much in doubt throughout, though we weren't very "competitive" offensively against the Cesspool. :mad:

you make valid points. but even with that, I didn't feel that GT was out of it if the team could have been more efficient on 3rd down.

Against Clemson, I don't remember the defense couldn't making a stop period. But truthfully I have tried to erase those memories.

At Miami, being efficient on 3rd downs wasn't a wish of mine. Just avoiding giving the ball to the Canes would've been a stark improvement. I "wish" we could've been "wishing" for better 3rd down effectiveness that miserable day. Without JT5, we stood zero chance of winning that particular day. And, it showed. We'd better enjoy his last season while he's here.

The defense was horrible at Clemson, but the Tigers offense made a lot of defenses better than ours look bad last season. Funny, one of our only TD's was from our D that day. Gotsis fumble recovery for TD after the game was a blowout.

Hopefully, when the John Deere tractor brigade crosses the state line heading south on I-85, they'll forget how to play FB like they've done the last 5 trips to Grant Field.

I can't see us winning this one and it could get ugly very fast. We all know that Tech will beat someone that they should not , if that is the case I'll take that win the last game of the year.
I have us at 3-1 after this game.

This one I placed in the loss column, too.
Matter of fact with my Crystal recruiting Ball, this is a loss at Clem-son-ing for us in 2017!

I don't know why, but this year I expect the defense to do a better job creating turnovers. I also think the young RBs from last year will have better ball control this season. I think we will see more games with a + TO margin for the Jackets.

In 2015, we finished tied for 105th in the nation in TO margin per game at -0.58. Thank goodness we "only" lost 2 of our 9 fumbles in the Miami debacle last year.

In 2014, we finished 14th in the nation at +0.79 per game.

2013: 86th at -0.31

2012: 47th at +0.29

2011: tied for 44th at +0.15

2010: tied for 86th at -0.46

2009: 21st at +0.57

2008: tied for 49th at +0.15

CPJ's 2 best seasons as HC at Tech are when we finished 14th in the nation and 21st in the nation in TO margin per game. Coincidence? I don't think so. There are lots of other variables of course and 2008 was a pretty damn good season. Certainly, our funky offense is prone to fumbling with all the chances we take though that may be offset with less chances throwing the ball too. We need our D to be more opportunistic. If we aren't going to stop people on downs, then at least take chances to get TO's. That's kind of what the 2014 D became...especially late in the year. VERY disappointed we were as bad as we were a year ago considering we started 4 senior DB's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT