ADVERTISEMENT

3 Weeks to Toe Meets Leather...Game 9 Preview: Cheaters

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Tech travels to Chapel Hell to visit the most corrupt and fraudulent athletic program in the nation. The Cheaters have won 2 straight over Tech for the first time since '96-'97 (read: almost 20 years ago). Like they normally do, the Cheaters will have the extra week off before playing the Good Guys. Head Cheater, Larry Fedora, is coming off the best season in Cheater history since the last days of Mack Brown 20 years ago. Tech will have their hands full to avoid a 3-game losing streak (pity the thought).

Game Info: Nov. 5, Time and TV TBA...all 14 ACC teams are playing conference games this date...the GT-Cheater game is one of the best...others include Va Tech at Duke, FSU at NC State, Pitt at Miami, Syracuse at Clemson, Louisville at BC, and Virginia at Wake.

Last Meeting: Tech jumped out to a 21-0 lead at home with 4 minutes left in the 1st half. Instead of heading into the halftime locker room with a commanding lead, what was seen all too often last year, the Jackets allowed the Cheaters right back in the door as they scored twice just before half to cut th lead to 21-14 and take momentum into the half. Tech scored again in the 3Q after a Cheater FG to take a 28-17 lead. 3 Cheater TD's later saw Tech's lead evaporate to a 38-28 deficit and all Tech could muster at the end was a Butker FG to cut it to a 1-score lead with 2 minutes left. Tech lost an INT and a fumble while the Cheaters were turnover free. Tech amassed 417 of total yards while the Cheaters equaled with 413. The loss broke an 8-game home winning streak of the Fraudulent Flagship University of North Carolina on Grant Field.

All-Time Series: Tech leads 28-20-3. Tech has won 14 of the last 18 starting with a 6-game winning streak in 1998. Before that '98 win (at Chapel Hell that broke a long losing streak for Tech there going back to 1945) the Cheaters led the series 16-14-3. Tech has won 6 of the last 9 at Kenan-Cheater Stadium.

Cheater Offense: They should be really good again. They lose QB Marquise Williams which will make a difference. Mitch Trubisky will take the controls and he could be good. RB Elijah Hood will be the star to keep an eye on. Most importantly, the Cheaters return 4 starters on what was a very effective O-Line last year. They also return good talent and experience at WR. If Trubisky can play to 80% of Williams' high level/standard, they will again put up a ton of pts on opponents. The Cheaters finished 18th in total O last year at 486.9 ypg and 9th in the nation in scoring at 40.7 ppg. Definitely this will be a huge test for CTR, whose troops have given up 38 and 48 to the Cheaters the last 2 years. Further, the Cheaters have scored 48 and 50 on Tech during our last 2 trips to Kenan-Cheater Stadium...then again, we've scored 43 (in a loss) and 68 (in a win). As usual, these games are high-scoring affairs and I expect it will be again.

Cheater Defense: Gene Chizik made a huge difference in his first year as D-Coord. As Athlon's preview points out (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/north-carolina-tar-heels-2016-preview-and-prediction), in his first year they dropped their yards allowed per game by 60+ and gave up 2 TD's less scoring per game. CPJ's guys have enjoyed a lot of success running all over the Baby Blues during his time at Tech. I figure Tech will again. The question will be can Roof's guys stop or slow them down (and maybe create some turnovers this time around).

What I Expect to Happen: Like stated above, I think this will again be another high-scoring affair where the game is close in the 4Q. Perhaps even, one of those whichever team has the ball last wins kind of games. I just don't think Tech has enough defense to get it done here and the offense will be required to once again outscore the Cheaters. Playing at home, unfortunately, I have to side with the Cheaters making it 3 in a row over the Good Guys... Tech loses 45-34...Tech moves to 5-4/2-4.

Highlights of the wild 2013 at Kenan-Cheater Stadium in a game that stands as a record for most points scored in an ACC game...

(if you like defense and players who actually tackle somebody...fair warning...you might not want to watch this video)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT