ADVERTISEMENT

What's your least favorite/worst Tech vs georgia memory?

bossross90

Aug 14, 2010
We may all have a new favorite after tomorrow, so Here is my worst memory in the series, and please feel free to share yours too.

The Game - 2006
The Play - A Reggie Ball "fumble" , "scoop" and "score".

I said I'd never go back to Athens after 2002. My family and I were treated terribly walking into that game and just as bad when we left (at halftime which thank goodness...dad never let us leave early but even he gave up that day, far after Chan and the players did).

I started dating my now wife in 2003 and she is a 4th generation georgia fan/alum. Her parents and grandparents on both sides(all alum) were alive in 2006, but like all georgia fans, they are front runners and only go to games they think they'll win, so they gave me and my wife their tickets because none of them wanted to go. That's how you know GT is going to win the game, because they only stay home if they don't have a chance.

I was in the older georgia fan section that you basically had to have tickets handed down from WW2 to sit in, so it was all mutts around me. They are tamer than the young turd Richt generation georgia fans because they survived some lean years after Dooley.

I cannot ever remember being more pissed off after a Tech game than that one(1997 was close). I don't ever show my ass at another team's place but that day I was belligerent. I would have fought all 92k of them that day and was just asking for someone to pop off. Can honestly say no one said a damn bad thing to me before, during or after the game....but still the worst memory I have in the series.

I went over to an old school (50's grad) Tech alums house a few weeks later. He pulled me into the house and had the Reggie Ball fumble pulled up on his projector and began a film session akin to the scene in JFK "back and to the left". Fumble, unpiling of bodies by refs, whistle blowing, back judge waving arms, 10 seconds later the ball being picked up and run back for what the refs called a TD. He kept rewinding it and hitting play like something you'd go through in a skull session the Monday after a game with a coach. He died not long after this. Maybe he finally cracked the mystery of conspiracy theory and someone had him bumped, or maybe he died of heart break and insanity, uttering "he was down" as his last words. We'll never know for sure, but I'm convinced this game literally killed a man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.