ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL WAR ROOM 2/24: Offseason Workout Updates and more

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I've had people asking about offseason/winter workouts. Brent Key is still in the process of replacing social media team members so that is why you've not seen a lot of content on that side of things as was explained in the mailbag a week or two ago. Key wanted to focus on all the football coaching hires and support staff that immediately impact the players and then pivot to filling other roles per my sources. Obviously losing Jason Semore also probably didn't help speed those searches up either for social media types.

Back to the topic at hand, I'll break it down by position who has done well per my sources. Of note, the two QBs most likely batting for QB1 Zach Pyron and Haynes King are both coming off significant injuries going into spring ball.
Offense:
RBs- Tre Cooley, Evan Dickens, Dontae Smith
WRs- Leo Blackburn, Abdul Janneh, Christian Leary, DJ Moore
TEs- Dylan Leonard
OL- Weston Franklin, Jakiah Leftwich, Jordan Williams
Defense:
DEs- Noah Collins, Kevin Harris
DTs- D'Quan Douse
LBs- Braelen Oliver, Andre White
S- LaMiles Brooks, Myles Sims, really the whole DB room apparently has been getting after it.

The guys in bold are new additions, Dickens is a mid-year early enrollee so that is a huge plus that he is turning heads in the weight room and in conditioning already.

The excitement level around the program is very high right now. There has been a lot of internal amusement at the bitter sad sack shit Geoff Collins is doing on social media to troll GT. It further points out the differences between Key and Collins as to what is important. Key has been busy engaging with boosters and fans during the offseason as well and season ticket sales have bounced back nicely per my GTAA sources, the AA is very pleased with the progress they've been making up ground after losing so many during the Collins era.

Spring Practice starts on March 13 for that M/W/F, they bounce after the 17th for spring break and then come back on March 27th going to an M/W/F/S schedule after coming back culminating with the spring game on April 15th at 1 pm in BDS.

Every position is a wide-open competition right now from QB to water person.

The staff have been busy working on installs and the plans for spring ball and the mood is one of great excitement around the football program at the moment. Ultimately as I've said from the beginning when Key took over the focus has been completely on building a sustainable football program that can win consistently and compete with everyone on the schedule. It will take time to reach those goals completely, but there is no denim line, and no social media for his shoes, and Key has made it a point to make the program about what it is supposed to be about, the players and building a product that fans and alums will be proud of.

Batt and Key have been in lockstep on the approach to get there and Key has been working to raise money for the program and has put in his own money as well as President Cabrera noted. Key is fully invested in trying to make this work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.