ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Ehmer, RIP

MariettaJacket

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2012
Georgia Tech lost one its greatest alumni with the passing of Walt Ehmer on Friday. Walt was President and CEO of Waffle House.

Walt was a tireless supporter of Tech including serving as the Chair of the Alumni Association and a member of the Foundation board. He was a passionate fan of GT football and all our athletic programs.

Walt was not just respected but beloved by the Waffle House family and epitomized the definition of a servant leader. He also served on a number of charitable boards and organizations in Atlanta.

A favorite personal story that that will give you a good feel about Walt is that he loved to get behind the counter and cook when visiting Waffle House restaurants. It was not unusual to see him serving breakfast at the Tech Square Waffle House.

On the morning of my oldest son’s graduation from Tech, he went by the Waffle House early, and there was Walt behind the counter. He was talking with Walt when an older couple came in. Of course Walt greeted them and waited on them. My son started talking with the couple and they said “you must come here a lot if you know the cook.“ And the wife added “he seems quite bright, as well.” Of course, Walt said nothing, and only as they were leaving did my son reveal to the shocked couple that they had been served by the CEO.

Walt was incredibly humble, but possessed a wickedly dry sense of humor. He simply was a Great Tech Man in every sense.

Walt is survived by his wife, Kara and three children, all proud Georgia Tech graduates. He will be greatly missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.