ADVERTISEMENT

So the B1G title game doesn't include tOSU?

stinger78

Mar 19, 2016
I may have been a little consumed with our big win over UGA, but this is crazy. I'm sorry, but I have a big issue with a potential national champ who didn't even play for their conference championship. It smacks to me of protecting tOSU. In 1998, we were 7-1 in conference, but lost to FSU who was also 7-1. We were co-champs. They were the higher rated team and got the BCS bid, and would have played in any CCG we may have had. In this case, tOSU is the higher rated team and tied for the division lead according to record. They should be playing in the CCG.

I know an argument can be made for PSU playing in the CCG, but IMHO, not if tOSU is their effering for the CFP.

Thoughts?

this is one reason why 4 team playoff is flawed. It should be at least 8 with power conferences getting automatic bids.

this is one reason why 4 team playoff is flawed. It should be at least 8 with power conferences getting automatic bids.

Yes, maybe, but that still allows them to avoid playing their marquee team in a CCG. That's crappy, IMHO. This is silly that they are allowed to do that. I think it throws doubt on tOSU, personally.

well the rules for teams with divisions pretty much state they can't play. Its not really a choice the B1G can make.

Yeah, maybe. It's just silly to do that to yourself. You always give yourself (a conference) a way out of that mess by allowing the higher rated team to be chosen. What if the CFP said it has to be a conference champ?

Well it sort of like my sons team this year. 9-1 and missed the playoffs. Their only loss was to another team with one conference loss. Head to head decides who gets into the championship.

People want to have a playoff system, but they also want to avoid leaving out good teams who slip up once. Ohio State is a classic example of this.

Well it sort of like my sons team this year. 9-1 and missed the playoffs. Their only loss was to another team with one conference loss. Head to head decides who gets into the championship.

People want to have a playoff system, but they also want to avoid leaving out good teams who slip up once. Ohio State is a classic example of this.

Oh, I understand your point totally. It is simply silly to contrive a CCG system that doesn't allow for contingencies like this. tOSU will be playing for the national championship, yet they can't play for their own conference championship? That's absurd on the face of it.

I think the alternative is just as crazy, how can you be national champion without winning your own conference?

This is my point. If they have a team tied for a division title that will be playing for an NC, how is it that team is NOT in your CCG?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT