ADVERTISEMENT

So GA Tech football over last 50 years...

stinger78

Mar 19, 2016
Twenty-six seasons of 7-win or more seasons:
Three 11-win seasons (1990, 2009, and 2014)
One 10-win season (1998)
Six 9-win seasons (1966, 1970, 1985, 2000, 2006, 2008) (2016?)
Four 8-win seasons (1991, 1999, 2001, 2011) (2016?)
Twelve 7-win seasons (1972, 1975, 1978, 1989, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013)​

Twenty-Four 6-win or less seasons (too many to list)

(Bold = Gailey Equilibrium)
(Italic - CPJ years)

It is an interesting discussion that is had often.

Some would want to compare schedules form season to season and point out the inferior opponents is some of those seasons. But everyone has those. Even Alabama plays cupcakes.

Some would want to point out the different number of regular season games and that's a fairly valid point. Because some of those early teams could have won more with more opportunities. But also some of the struggling teams could have lost more. In the long run it probably evens out when comparing to other programs. I think winning % takes that away. I'd like to see the full distribution to see how normal it is? I think it is skewed more to the 6-7 win side partly because of the 2 cupcakes that are often on the schedule vs 4-5 win and below.

GT hasn't moved much over the last few decades. There has been a step up from the late 70's and early 80's.

I don't know what it will take to move toward more 9-10 win seasons. I'd love to see that next step happen. And I'd be willing to make some moves on the academic side to make it easier, Being on the recruiting side and knowing some families recently gone through it, I know GT doesn't talk to a lot of athletes because of the academics. I also know they are more selective than in years past. I am not sure this added restriction is necessary, but it is real. GT is not only turning away athletes, but it is turning away in-state students as well. They can do better by relaxing some of those admission hurdles. I think in the long run it will help GT by getting to that next athletic level.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Excellent point about in-state students, in addition to the other ideological analysis. The student section is half empty factoring in all 7 games this year on a rough visual comparison average. Most attendees are out of state if not country. The facts are the majority of GT students will be doing studying and research abroad. Whether more liberal classes, adding majors/programs will cheapen the degree, is another debate I'm trying not to start. One issue we can all agree upon is how it makes recruiting more stringent. The coaches point to the difficulties and attrition.

There's a player on Berry's team who is in the 3-2 engineering partnership with GT. I have never understood why Tech pushes students into this path instead of expanding GT's student body, bringing these students into GT and educating them from the start. IMO, if they are good enough to finish the last 2 years of really tough engineering classes, they are good enough to be full-time students as a freshman. There are some exceptions, but in general GT needs to expand and offer more freshman slots.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
. One issue we can all agree upon is how it (academics) makes recruiting more stringent. The coaches point to the difficulties and attrition.

GT has done a decent job recently of managing the attrition due to academics. Much of this is the admissions office working earlier to identify players who have the right "credentials" So the pool is definitely smaller, but the positive is players not leaving unexpectedly due to failures in the classroom.

I don't know if the recent attrition is academic related or not. But GT needs to also work on avoiding the non-academic transfers as well. It is hard enough to find these players and get them to commit to GT. It is sad to see the coaches can't maintain the buy-in from these players. That is why this recent 3 players transfer is disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT