ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Smoke Show at the DGN's (advice needed)

GTDGN04

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2014
Woodstock, GA
Have family coming over and throwing my first brisket on the Pit Boss tomorrow morning. Have done butts and wings and they have all turned out great, but I know brisket requires a bit more TLC. A few questions for the resident pit masters...

Prep
I have heard you want to be careful trimming too much fat so it stays nice and juicy - obviously not nearly as liberal as butts and other cuts. Advice?
Seasoning? I have several from Pit Boss but my buddy, who is a foodie, normally just does a mustard base with salt and pepper. The brisket is between 5-6 lbs. - how much seasoning do you recommend?

Smoke
Temp and time / internal temp for a 5-6 lb. slab? My friend was saying several hours and cook to an internal temp around 150-160 degrees I believe. Do you wrap it on the smoker?
Finish: My friend also says he finishes in the oven to the final internal temp (can't recall exactly what it is).

Etc.
Any other suggestions? Let is settle in a cooler? On the counter? Cut it length wise with a meat knife I assume, into strips. Any advice for the edges to give them a great char / flavor or does the smoke and seasoning already do that?

Appreciate it.
@BeerBrewingJacket
@_Uncle_Leo
And others I know I am leaving out. My apologies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News