ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS My opinion

Dan McDonald

Silver Member
May 19, 2008
With a few days to think about this now, of all the coaches GT could reasonably attract in this search, I think Bryce Drew is the best fit. I watched a couple Valpo games this year and think he plays an attractive style. It's a lot of ball screens and they push the ball up the court (think similar to Billy D at Fla). He's obviously won a good bit. He comes from a basketball family. Recruiting would be the one question with him, but from everything I've heard about him as a person, he seems like a good guy with a lot of personality. I think he'd do fine on the recruiting trail. His brother has recruited really well at Baylor. I'm guessing he'd be smart enough to at least hire one assistant with ties to Atlanta or that has had success recruiting in Georgia. Unlike Jeff Capel with the NCAA baggage at Oklahoma and the fact he flamed out after Blake Griffin left and unlike Kevin Keatts who is connected to Louisville although not directly linked to the scandal to our knowledge, Drew comes with no red flags. That's not saying Capel or Keatts couldn't come and do a good job, but I think Drew could really knock it out of the park.

I'd also think, after watching the NIT last night, that Mike Lonergan from George Washington, would be an interesting choice. He's won everywhere he's been. He's more experienced as a coach. He has a lot of energy. Haven't seen his name connected to the search, but with Bobinski's connection to the A-10, I could see him getting consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News