ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Major Update on GT Assistant search 4/9

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Like I've said I've been working many angles trying to piece together what is going on.

I've not had multiple sources tell me they expect Rutgers Associate Head Coach Karl Hobbs to come to Georgia Tech as Stoudamire's lead assistant. He has been with Steve Pikiell since 2016 at Rutgers. Hobbs was the head coach at George Washington from 2001 to 2010 and was on Kevin Ollie's staff at UConn 2011-16 after that and before that was Jim Calhoun's assistant at UConn from 1993-2001. He has a pair of national championship rings as an assistant coach at UConn in 1999 and 2014.

This may also explain all the smoke about Ollie and Stoudamire, this might be what was going on there, Ollie was pushing for his former coach to be on Stoudamire's staff. Hobbs would help recruit the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia) and the Northeast.

Hobbs was trying to get the head job at Manhattan but they went with John Gallagher who is the poor guy who quit at Harford after they announced they were dropping from D-1 to D-2 and he quit right before the season.

I am still hearing there is a strong possibility of Pershin Williams skipping USF and joining the GT staff on the bench. Neither Russ or I can get anyone to confirm that yet one way or the other, but there is still a lot of smoke. He would be the 3rd assistant most likely. Williams would give them help in Georgia with recruiting and based on other possibilities that is a big deal.

Another name that keeps coming up is San Diego State 3rd assistant JayDee Luster who worked for Stoudamire at Pacific and was a GA at Arizona when Stoudamire was an assistant there. I have a hard time seeing this one. Luster is working in his hometown for a team that just played fo the National Championship Game. If Stoudamire pulls him, consider that a pretty big win for GT. He has zero ties outside of the West Coast but could open up some recruiting grounds.

Another thing to keep in mind is Stoudamire can use his connections to hire coaches who no longer want to be on the road to help via this new pathway. That is likely going to be new positions (maybe the special assistant to the head coach for example) in addition to current positions.

Still digging, but I wanted to give you what I am hearing. Obviously, this can all change in the blink of an eye depending on coach movement, etc.

I have no info on which former players could be involved, BJ Elder appears to be remaining on staff. He could also help coach via the role below.

Earlier this year the NCAA supported an increase in the number of basketball coaches who may be employed & provide technical/tactical instruction to student-athletes from four to six with the understanding that the two additional coaches may not contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes (PSAs) off-campus; in addition, the two additional coaches are subject to individual associated with the prospective student-athlete (IAWP) legislation.

KEY POINTS

The institution’s head coach must be designated as one of the four countable coaches who may recruit off-campus.

All six countable coaches may simultaneously provide technical and tactical instruction to student-athletes. In other words, all six coaches may provide on-court instruction during practice.

The institution must designate, to the NCAA, the four countable coaches who may contact and evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus and the two countable coaches who may not.

An institution may temporarily replace one of the two countable coaches who may not engage in off-campus recruiting activities if the staff member is unable to perform any or all duties because of extenuating circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News