ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 3/6

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

Could MGH be a graduate transfer out of GT? Is there any chance of that happening?

No, he is a true junior and doesn't have enough credits to graduate.

For the 2016 recruiting class, what position/ positions do you feel, need the most attention? Any particular recruits you would go after to fill those needs? Thanks

Defensive tackle and offensive line are the two spots I would be focusing on if I were GT. No specific names at this point though.

Kelly- is the "Mystery DL Transfer" still a possibility? Had forgotten all about him and wondered if I`d missed any news.

Yeah still some stuff working with a DL transfer and one other guy who is looking to transfer.

For a player as highly ranked as Jordan Mack, I'm surprised he hasn't garnered more interest and offers by this point in the spring. What do you feel is holding back offers from other schools? Do you feel his GT offer is committable at this time?

Hell yes his offer is committable. He is the top guy on GT's board at safety. Everyone thinks he is going to GT so that is hurting his offer list.

Lots of chatter about the Braves offseason. With Spring Training just getting underway, I thought I'd ask your opinions about it…
1) Would you have extended Jason Heyward the 10 years $200+MM he's likely to ask for in free agency in order to keep him?

No, Heyward isn't even a top 10 RF and is worse at CF or LF, why the hell would you pay him like that when he has limited power and can't hit for average. Hunter Pence or Jayson Werth are worth big bucks. I'd rather have Michael Cuddyer than Heyward.

2) Was signing a 31-yr old Nick Markakis an incredibly dumb move for a franchise that most likely won't compete for the division in 2015?

Markakis isn't a bad signee. You have to get some type of production.

3) Which players/prospects netted from the various trades are you the most excited about?

To be honest I haven't really studied it.

- With a new MBB coach pretty much inevitable, do you think CBG suffered a series of bad breaks (Shumpert leaving early, not having a home court in 2011, GRJ turning into an idiot, Bob Carter transferring, Solo Poole getting dismissed, Jorgensen's injury, etc.) that derailed any momentum he could have built on, or was it more just not a good fit/not up to the job?

I think Gregory was sunk by circumstances and two bad decisions, signing Solo Poole and taking his brother and signing Corey Heyward. Wasting those three ships and then being unable to sign top talent that can help immediately has been his downfall. I told BG when I first met him that he was in deep and that was before Shumpert left. Hewitt left him with very little scoring other than Rice and Shump and some mismatched parts like Julian Royal and Mfon. He couldn't get it together and took bad gambles like the Poole brothers and it fell apart.

Why does Bud Light taste so much better in the aluminum bottle compared to the can?

The opening of the bottle makes it taste better IMO.

Were you able to find out how season ticket sales are going?

I was told they are right on projections if not a little higher. They expect some bumps closer to the season as well.

As a Dwag, did it truly sting your ass when we beat y'all this past year? Honestly.

not-sure-if-im-being-trolled-or-if-youre-just-an-idiot.jpg

Who do coaches think will be the go to WR this year?

Ricky Jeune

1. How much media coverage will GT allow for the spring?

Not sure yet, waiting for the release from SIDs on what the plan is for this spring.

2. Any news on DT transfers?

Still looking at options

3. Do you expect any BBall players to transfer into GT for next season?

Yes with or without a coaching change.

Any idea whether GT would hire a search firm to replace BG or appoint Mbob to conduct it himself? Any chance search actions are already underway?

I think MBob would do it without a search firm IMO. I have no word on if a search has started or not. All I know is they are doing very little recruiting right now for 2016 and 2017.

You indicated that reward to assistant coaches in football would come in the form of extended contracts and less so in salary. (Remaining here most concerned that staff won't stay forever if highly underpaid. Most worried about CAM, CBC and CMP.) Any further vibe on contracts? When in public record and you know?

I mean they should get some decent bumps for you or me but not decent bumps in college world. As the contracts are up they will be redone.

Going into Spring drills, do you hear staff wanting to emphasize some things more than others? Anything "new" or you expect to be agenda priorities?

Not yet.

Last year after Spring practice and into Fall, many felt Tim Byerly would be the starter at QB. Then, JT's ascension and TB is looking at his senior year as a bystander. Is he close to graduating (and taking his last year elsewhere)?

Tim is very much a team player, I don't see him going anywhere and he is a play away from taking the helm. Why would he leave for an uncertain job elsewhere. His skill set is perfect for this type of offense. Only a handful of places run it.

In an AJC article, Ken S named the seniors who are skipping Pro Day even though several are talented enough to harbor aspirations for the NFL. He said that all were already into career caliber jobs. Do you happen to know the companies or vocations where Perkins, et al are going? That's the kind of info recruits' parents should know.

I think I dove into this before on where guys ended up.

I mean Perk and Hill had no shot at the NFL, Perkins shoulder is duct taped together and Hill has his disease for example. A lot of the guys are finishing up right now and getting ready for internships or are currently interning.

Seniors:
Corey Dennis- GA at Ohio State University.
Deon Hill- Sales Rep at Mondelez International
Charles Perkins- Sales Rep at Mondelez International

Surprised that GT has only one commitment for 2016. (Miami has 18!) Are you aware of any who might commit in the next several weeks?

I'm not it has been the same way for the last decade basically. Miami is in a desperate situation and they are trying to lock up local kids.

If this has been answered don't worry about it.

Who are the top 5 five 2016 guys on GT's recruiting board? Obvisouly I mean guys that we think we have a realistic possiblity of gettting. It would be good to know who is on our coaches "Big Board" if you will. Thanks Kelly.

In no order:

TaDarryl Marshall
Jordan Mack
Brittain Brown
Xavier Gantt (already committed)
Malik Barrow

Is m bob capable of firing Gregory after we lose in the acc tournament?

Yes, he is if he thinks that is what should be done.

This post was edited on 3/6 4:24 PM by Kelly Quinlan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.