ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 3/27

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

What ever happened regarding Ray Drew's two illegal blocked kicks and the phantom fumble by Justin Thomas in the UGA game last season? Did PJ contact the ACC and send the videos to file a complaint against the SEC refs?

A whole lot of nothing. PJ didn't send in the complaint, Doug Rhodes did, the head of ACC officiating, he was not happy about it either. If the SEC punished the refs it was done quietly.

Does Freddie Burden need surgery on his wrist ?

No, they have set his wrist and he is in a brace and already out of a cast. They just don't want to chance anything with him.

When MBob didn't fire CBG, he mentioned that offense can't be something we just do in between defensive possessions. Any ideas on what CBG might/can do to try and fix the offense? Can he bring in like an "offensive coordinator" or visit with other coaches like Mark Few or even Coach Bud down to road to get some ideas?

He might assign someone on the staff to handle it, but I've seen everyone around except Mamadou in the last few days. Unless he left nothing will change staff personnel wise.

Will Byerly stay the #2/goal line QB all season or do you think they will try to work Jordan in more in blowouts to get him game experience since Tim is senior?

Byerly will be situational and the true backup, Jordan will be in for blowout situations as of right now. I guess that could change closer to the season.

What are the 3 biggest things you are looking at as the team starts scrimmaging Saturday?

Well they are not actually scrimmaging on Saturday, just some reps of 11-on-11, Sat is the first day in full pads.

The OL moves and the young OLs are something I'm pretty focused on going forward.

The young DEs and how they are progressing.

The WR situation and who will step up and push Summers for PT.

- Thinking about the 11-3 record last year and the 7-6 record in 2013. Do you think the decision to not put in JT as the starter in 2013 would have had an impact on either record…good or bad?

I think he should have started JT in 2013 and I was very clear about that from day one, but Vad had the locker room and PJ respected that aspect of it. I think they would have been about the same in 2013 and maybe a little better in 2014. JT made a huge jump in the spring of 2014 with running the offense that helped make him who he is, he wasn't the same guy that played in game one in 2014 in 2013.

- When Mike Bobinski is actually looking people in the eye when delivering bad news and dealing with difficult, uncomfortable situations like the leadership executive that he is paid to be………did he elaborate on how to address the style of basketball to be more offensive minded? CBG has shown that he is willing to leave offense on the bench if he isn't comfortable with that player on the defensive end. That has to have scared away some recruits in the past, right?

MBob will say what is on his mind off the record, I will give him credit for that. I'm sure he gave his complete thoughts on BG's shortcomings in their meetings.

Is it true that Mark Price has no buyout if he takes the GT job?

Who started that rumor? I doubt anyone has seen his contract yet since it is not available to anyone at this point.

Golden was good at PR last year, KO return not so much. Who all are we looking at for that position?

CRR said they are trying a lot of different guys there, I expect them to trot Searcy, the Austin twins, Nathan Cottrell, Isiah Willis and Dennis Andrews.

Rumor has it that we are recruiting three JUCO bball players for this Fall. Could you tell us about them? Skills, Dan or other experts' take on them? Odds of recruiting and programs competing?

Keep in mind they have ONE scholarship available

SG- Mychal Mulder (Vincennes University) probably going to Creighton visited GT earlier this month.
PG Rob Gray (Howard College) probably headed to Texas Tech

Those are the two off the top of my head. I'll see if Dan or Russ want to jump in here with any other names.

What draft round (or not) do you project each: Mason, Smelter, Waller, Days, Nealy, Laskey, others who tried out on Pro Day?

Right now probably 5th or 6th round, but it depends on so many factors including runs on a specific position.

May have been asked, so apologies if so: what kind of shape are Devine and Joe in? How serious is OT Griffin's injury? Burden's?

DeVine looks around the same size as the end of the season so that is a good starting point, much better than last year. Joe also looks much better than he did last season. Obviously both made their weights because they were not on the "beach" to slim down.

Last week a kid from Cornell won the NCAA wrestling title at 184 lb. During his match, they talked about him getting a football tryout at Tech, and it came up during his interview after the match. He made a big point that Tech turned him down, almost to the point of bitterness. Any knowledge or memory of his recruitment? Supposedly a QB prospect. I assume there are dozens and dozens of these a year where a kid gets a look and the staff declines to give an offer. Just odd that he seemed to have such ill will when it ultimately led to him finding his way to success elsewhere.

The 5'10" QB from Lowell HS in Mass was brought in to tryout by old FB Ops guy Matt Griffin. He was not a "player."

How does the team " glue " look for next year ? Believing in each other seems to have pulled at least two wins out of the fire.
Can we get our O line in the " you cant stop us " frame of mind again ?

LOL, I have no idea my man.

What's the story on Chris Bolden? BG purgatory, on the team or off?

So far he is still on the roster, one more strike and he is gone.

Has CTR given his insight on why he feels the defense had issues on third downs?

Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

I see a lot of information about giving MJ a lot of reps at QB. Is there any hint at using Byerly elsewhere?

NO, BYERLY IS AT QB, please understand this, he is not a B-back or a WR, please stop trying to move the back up QB to other positions people.

How high do you think Matt Jordan's ceiling is versus Tim Byerly? Versus Nesbitt? I won't ask you to compare him to Thomas because that'd just be unfair.

No clue, I want to see how he looks this spring. He has a nice arm and is very quick and tough. He has to get comfortable with his footwork and decision making.

What is the prognosis for A Marshall's shoulder injury?

He will be ready for summer workouts and fall camp. Not a big deal.

I'm sure you have said this multiple times, but where do you expect Smelter to get drafted?

See above

In your time covering GT is there someone you think the staff had a good shot with that we did not offer and they ended up being a really good player?

Grady Jarrett is the classic example I bring up. Not only did the GT staff not like him, but I was unimpressed and so was WhiskeyChef who watched him with me.

T.Y. McGill is another kid who begged for an offer.

Whitehead is still listed 209lbs. Got a current weight for him?

225, the roster weights are all wrong, as I talk to guys I try to update their weights.

Of the freshmen who were redshirted last year, who do you see making the biggest move up into the two deep? Should JHD make his grades, what kind of contribution can we expect from him? Being in a new position, it would seem he would struggle a bit............but what do I know. I hope he kicks butt, but I think it might be unfair to him to expect too much.

Jabari has been playing DT for TWO years now so I think he knows what he is doing. What he did on scout team every day against Shaq Mason is the same thing GT asks him to do at DT. It is not like going from scout team tight end to playing offensive tackle or B-back. He will be a force if he gets on the field in the fall, mark my words.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News