ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 3/25

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
How many interior LOS guys do you expect us to sign for 2020?

I don't have a hard number yet. Four to five off the top of my head. The bigger needs on the OL are OTs and on the DL are DEs right now.

I might have missed this, but has Usher applied for a waiver yet, and do you think he has a good chance at getting one so he can play at the beginning of the year?

They are working on that. It has not been resolved yet per Pastner.

Do you know anything about CJ Dixon’s recruitment? I haven’t seen much about it. I believe UGA was high on his mind, but would he still commit there with Carson Beck already committed?

It is sort of stalled right now. UF, Bama and UGA were the main players. UGA has room to take two QBs so I guess if he really is a fan of theirs like he has said in interviews it may not matter.

Different type question....what does pretty active day in the life of Kelley Quinlan consist of? Just curious how you manage both sites; get insider info; maintain family stability; and deal with me tagging you on every post?

I manage four sites, I have staff on all of them that I entrust to handle things like Russell doing the heavy lifting for recruiting on here and Jared handling anything I can't do in-person like Pro Day last week. Most of my day is phone calls and texts from various sources/friends in the business etc. When my wife and son come home I try to shut a lot of it down until they go to bed.

Can usher participate in the Europe tour, regardless of the waiver?

Yes if it is considered an exhibition he can play.

Last weekend did you have any trouble getting your stuck chainsaw free? Kind of leads into what's your week like.

So I bought a second blade and chain and just trimmed up the tree until I could free it by maneuvering it. The issue is where the tree fell was on a slope so it pinched my chainsaw as I was logging it. I have a crappy electric saw since I haven't really had to chop anything sizable down and it seemed unnecessary to get a big gas saw. That probably didn't help. However it's free, tree is almost chopped up into firewood. Just have a little more to do. March Madness put a damper in my tree chopping this weekend.

Could you ask TStan or someone at the AA at what point they may start with the Edge demolition and reconstruction? Could you ask TStan or someone at the AA at what point they may start with the Edge demolition and reconstruction?

There is/was a certain number where Stansbury said they can begin construction. I'm not sure if they've hit it yet or not. I'm sure they are being careful given the precarious financials right now and don't want to plow ahead until they are confident they will reach the end goal as well.

In terms of RB recruiting, who are the guys that we've offered that have the most interest in us? It seems to me like Mecose Todd and Joquavious Marks are the only two or is there anyone else?

I think last week's mailbag addressed this exact topic.

Any news on Trey Zimmerman? His last article here was almost a month ago after he posted his final 4 and I have not seen him take visits or post anything substantial on twitter.

He is preparing his decision.

If we play with a 3 safety look who would be the 3rd guy. Charlie Thomas, Christian Campbell or Kaleb Oliver? I would assume Juanyeh and Tariq have 2 of the spots locked down. I know Thomas is a question mark as far as off the field issues but it seems like if he is eligible him or Oliver should move to LB if they can’t get on the field at safety.

I would not assume anything with a new staff. My understanding is the third safety guy would be more of a hybrid who can cover, play some LB and even blitz some so Thomas or Campbell or Oliver or Bonds would fit that as would Carpenter actually.

1. Given MBB's IMMENSE youth, the unexpected loss of Okogie to the NBA, the fact that we finished 10th ( not 13th, 14th or 15th as predicted) was this season Pastner's best coaching job of his three years at Tech?

I was impressed and that is why I've tried to chill out those calling for the guy's head. I thought they'd win 2-4 games total in ACC play and they did much better than that and had some good upset wins like at Arkansas early in the year. I thought his first year was also very impressive with how he built the team around Lammers who had been a 15 mpg backup and used him to run the offense through.

2. Assuming we don't stumble too many times in our non-conference schedule, I would think that 9 ACC wins in '19-'20 would get us on the bubble ( and to the NIT at worst). Double digit ACC wins gets us an invite to the Prom, I would think. What's your take on number of ACC wins needed by Tech in order to go Dancing?

So that is an interesting question because the non-conference will be a lot harder next year. I think if you win 9 games in the ACC then you should definitely be on the bubble. As you look around the league I think that VT, BC, Wake and Pitt will probably be the bottom four off the top of my head. VT is losing everyone on their team and Buzz is going to be the next head coach at TAMU as soon as they are eliminated. However with the schedule going to 20 games next year I think 10 would be the magic number.

3. What's your take on Tech's strength of schedule next season? Schedule looks tough to me.

As I said above it is a much tougher schedule than GT has had in a while. That will be interesting along with the 20 game ACC schedule.

4. Was CJP's assumption that JBIII's hardship application would not be approved and not initially preparing him to play this season a mistake? If it was, will he handle Jordan Usher's summer training/development/practice differently then ( so that he can play from the beginning of the season and not have to wait until school starts in January)?

So it is hard to call it a mistake. The free-hand with waivers began late-Summer into August so they were unable to be sure and that would've really screwed things up had they prepared for James and then he wasn't available.

5. Will Curtis need surgery for the bone chip in his ankle? Also, are Curtis' struggles offensively a result of poor 'work' habits or just 'one of those things'? In other words, does he work at the craft of shooting 3's.

They are trying to avoid surgery, but I'll check on that. His shooting was in his head. He started missing them in warm-ups. I noticed it during his cold streak he would miss a heck of a lot of the warm-up shots too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News