ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 2/20

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

In addition to Brittain Brown, do we lead for any of the folks we are recruiting? Are there any 2016 commitments on the immediate horizon?

Brittain is probably the heaviest lean right now. CB Ronnie Blackmon is pretty interested and S Jordan Mack as well. Those three are the ones I'm keeping a close eye on. The Feb 28th JR Day should shed more light on the situation as well.

Are there announced (or known) proposed position changes for Spring practice?

Qua Searcy is the only one so far to A-back. I don't see anyone else moving to A-back. They tried John Marvin at WR in bowl practice but his hands are not great. The only position light on numbers going forward is WR, but I don't really see anyone else moving right now. I guess they could try a LB like Tre Jackson or Marcus Allen at B-back, but PJ kind of shot that down as well.

Do you believe that CMP removed himself from consideration for the Okie job or did Okie tell him they were going in another direction?

Pelton withdrew his name and I don't think it was a fit either for him or his family. The guy they hired Diron Reynolds yesterday is not particularly impressive in comparison to Pelton either so the interest was legit but the window was small for a decision.

We've made some critical hay with big B-Backs: Dwyer, Allen, Sims, and Days come to mind. Guys that could really move the pile when they had to. Who's gonna fill that roll? Are we expecting somebody to play at 225-230 lbs?

Quaide has the ability to get up to that size in a year or so. That is why they signed him. C.J. Leggett is still growing and Marshall and Lands-Davis could end up in the 220+ range eventually as well. Marshall is over 205 right now and Lands-Davis was pushing 210 before basketball season.

What's the latest on Ga Tech Tennessee in the 2017 cfa kickoff?

Haven't heard anything lately, but the last time I asked one of the AD staff about it I was told that is one of several options GT is exploring for that 2017 spot.

I don't know if you've seen but custis put up a judo highlight he looks great. Just curious if hear from him again in college considering he hasn't signed with anyone and can go to the draft next year.

He is really not academically inclined, I think he will end up playing some place like Marshall or similar academically. I don't think there is any chance in hell he goes to the NFL without playing a down somewhere in college.

Is TaDarryl Marshall still high on GT, or do the new "high profile" offers from Alabama and potentially Auburn cloud that interest significantly?

TaDarryl still loves him some GT, but obviously there will be a ton of pressure to stay in-state. I'm not sure what will happen in the long run with him. He can throw the football though, I think people don't realize that.

Two questions about Shaq: Who are the decision makers that decide who gets NFL Combine invites? Total disrespect to Shaq after his performance all year and at the Sr. Bowl. Also, with no Combine invite and GT workouts only, how will the more limited exposure affect his draft position? (I am assuming that he is drafted and that some team is going to get a steal.)

After talking with some coaches and scouts it certainly appears Shaq will get drafted by someone assuming he doesn't tank his Pro Day. The players are selected by a committee of players and a BLESTO scouting service used by most NFL teams. The theory on Shaq is several teams are interested in hiding him.

Was Derrick Brown ever on our radar or wasn't gonna pass the Hill so we backed out early?

Which Derrick Brown?

Have you seen or heard anything on the kids working out - especially the kids red-shirted last fall and the early sign-in freshmen? Anything like packing on some meaningful pounds or taking a few tenths off forty times. Maybe John Sisk would have a couple of comments.

Will Bryan has been kicking a$$ and taking names in workouts whipping guys. If I can track down Sisk I'll ask him what's doing. OldDawg told me Will measured in as the heaviest OL minus body fat weight.

Any word from GTAA how season tickets sales are going?

No, but I can ask on Monday when I'm back at GT. Just remind me on Monday if you remember ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News