ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 8/28 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

It’s Saturday after the game; Georgia Tech has beaten Louisville because ______________

KQ- Tech's defense played well and the Jackets won the turnover battle.

Georgia Tech has lost to Louisville because ___________

KQ- The Cards jumped on the Jackets early and neither the offense or the defense could catch up.

A corollary to this: give us a few stats that will point to the winning time next Friday night (if we allow 3+ sacks that means an L, if we score 30+ that means a W, etc.)

KQ- If Tech is in the plus on turnovers, if the QBs are +8 yards per pass attempt, if Plummer is under 250 yards passing, if GT is +100 yards rushing.

If Stanford, Cal and SMU join would you personally like to see GT draw 1 or 2 per year, and what do you think is the likelihood that GT would prefer to end up with something like a Clemson, Cal, SMU permanent draw over what is in place now? I would Imagine Clemson is the only partner GT will be married to going forward in ACC scheduling.

KQ- I was told that GT would like to play at least one of the new additions as a regular rotation game maybe replacing Louisville or Wake. I don't see Clemson being dropped.

Is there anyone currently with a long term injury that will likely come back before the end of the season?

KQ- The only long-term injury guys are Leo Blackburn, Bryston Dixon and Juju Lewis. I expect Leo back at some point this year, hopefully in October. Juju I don't know about and Bryston is just going to redshirt. Key has mentioned all three publicly as being long-term injuries so I am comfortable sharing this.

Brisket or Pulled Pork?

KQ- Brisket if done correctly, however most places around here can't make brisket to save their lives so if I'm in a Georgia bbq spot I'm probably going pulled pork out of those two options.

In the first scrimmage in Fall Camp, I got the impression that our Defense dominated the Offense. Now I know that is not unusual in the early weeks of practice, but I felt last year we evolved into a really good defense. And we get a lot of the players back. Offensively we have struggled since CPJ left and I think it is fair to say our OL rebuild has taken longer than we all had hoped for various reasons. I am of the opinion we will be better offensively than a year ago, but will we be only marginally better? Will our defense be stout or just better than average? I am of the opinion we will be slightly better on offense, but really good on defense. I just don’t see a lot of playmakers on offense. What say you?

KQ- Those are good questions and I have no idea. They have plenty of playmaker types on offense starting with three of the fastest guys in the ACC, Malik Rutherford, Christian Leary and Eric Singleton Jr. I think they have solid pieces at spots, but the offensive skill spots are still in development and a lot of guys haven't played much here yet or whatnot that could be impact guys like DJ Moore for example or Seither the TE or Blaylock or Chase Lane. The RB position is the one where they need someone to really step up. My money has been on Jamie Felix, but we shall see if that happens.

Is there another restaurant that feeds our organization a pre-game meal in 30 minutes that we're using...or is it still Maggiano's? ("nobody cares" is an acceptable answer)

KQ- No idea. I haven't asked and I know they have things catered sometimes like Fox Bros or other stuff. I am unsure as to what Key's choice is for a pre-game meal.

Whats the shot as some point this year we line up in a defensive formation with players with only jersey numbers 0 through 10? If that happens will ESPN reference that it happened u/o 4.5 times per game for the remainder of the season? How much do the coaches actually care about who gets what number?

KQ- It is pretty much zero. The only single-digit DT is Makius Scott. Only two DEs are single-digit as well, ET and Kennard. So you'd need an odd front with those three and then there are three LBs with singles, but only 11 players with single digits on D and you'd have no nickel in that situation and have to play 3 CBs. That's not how they use their sub packages.

Will the team bring back running out with the American/State flag this year?

KQ-

Dog Gif GIF

The top 3 offensive playmakers for us in the Louisville game will be?
Maybe King, Smith, and Rutherford?
A dark horse like Singleton or D J Moore?

KQ- You'd want to see King, Rutherford and maybe a RB or TE.

What day will be our uniform reveal for the MBS game?

KQ- If they do that, I would guess Wednesday because that would be Thursday (on a normal week) and that is when I think they used to do it. You guys pay way more attention to that stuff than I do.

What kind of crowd are you expecting (overall & GT & Louisville separately)? Assuming you will be at the game, where will you be stationed in MBS? Are going to be able to make it to the HD Lot for tailgating?

KQ- Why would I not be at the game? I've missed three football GT games in my 14 prior seasons covering the program, one with norovirus, and one because my father died and I was onsite already. One for other reasons. I'll be in the press box.

I'm hoping to hit the tailgate scene for a second.

What’s the loudest you’ve heard Bobby Dodd over a complete game? Loudest moment I think would be kick 6 vs. FSU, loudest game I’ve heard was 09 upset of VT. I’m hopeful we’ll see good attendance this year and get BDS rockin again

KQ- Probably the VT game in 2009.

Do you think Key will or have asked for advice from Ralf Friedgen?

KQ- I wouldn't be shocked if he has.

Do you think attendance will go up automatically now since Collins is gone?

KQ- I'm not sure if it will be automatic but it will.

Being realistic I see it being “low” but maybe improved from 2021 and 2022 but I’m concerned it will take awhile to get back to 2008-2011 numbers due to loss of fan support since Collins and other issues.

KQ- It will take consistent winning to get back to anything like the early 2010s numbers.

Do you think this issue of attendance is more than just winning? I hope winning can cure most of it but even if we win I have doubts we can keep it up consistently

KQ- Winning is a big piece of it, having a consistent product.

Whats the most random/stupid topic you have seen on here that was more than one page long?

KQ- Chicken sandwiches.

The deal for Russell was up in July 2018. We announced in late august 2017 that we signed with adidas. So wouldn’t you expect some update on either resigning with adidas ( hopefully a better deal) or going with a new brand. I’m sure JBatt keeps that close since nothing leaks. What’s your gut say?

KQ- It was public that the Russell deal was ending and we are over a year away from the Adidas ending. It is a situation where Adidas is bidding to resign and Batt would be fielding other offers. I broke the Addidas deal back in 2017 because it was a done deal at the time. When there is something done hopefully I can break it. My gut is they may try to go to Nike.

If you addressed this before I apologize, but I was curious how legitimate it was when we heard Bill Clark’s name mentioned in the HC discussion?

KQ- It was not a serious deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News