ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 6/3 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

does COFH being moved to Black Friday have any ripples down the way with our schedule or is it all meaningless?

KQ- I'm unsure of what you are asking me. GT plays the Thursday night before with NC State and I think UGA plays UMass the week before so both teams will have ample downtime before the game.

Will there eventually be rules limiting transferring? If so when do you predict that would happen?

KQ- My expectation is there will be contracts and terms locking kids and SCHOOLS into a financial relationship for X-amount of time. I would assume that will be like a 3-year deal. It would level things off greatly if the Big Boys can't just cut guys and pick off guys from small schools when they screw up their evals.

Also, do any of our "leaders" actually care about the fans or just lining their wallet?

KQ- Generally, no one cares about people in a position of power, whether politics or anything else. Most would not pump the brakes if you crossed the road in front of them and no one was looking.

Have you been to Freakin Incan up in Roswell and if so, how does it compare to the peruvian chicken joint you recommended in Durham? Alpaca Chicken I think it was, place was closed last time I was in town.

KQ- I have not, I tried a different place up there and the sauce smelled like rotten ranch. I can't remember the name of it, but I had it delivered and it did not travel well either. It was a bummer of a meal.

Who are some of your favorite interviews - coaches that either crack you up or give you lots to work with?

KQ- I always enjoy the kids who have a lot of personality like Jordan Williams or even more out there guys like Jay Finch from back in the day on the player side. There was always something strange. As far as guys who crack me up on the coaches side, I always found Jim Boeheim to be the Larry David of college coaches and good from something really crazy coming out of his mouth. The old BC coach Frank Spaziani was a real character. Andy McCollum was also good with a fun story. Brent Key is a lot of fun outside the interview realm. There is a lot of ballbusting going on when we chat on both sides.

Thanks for the Uzzi interview. Awesome to get these lookins. Appreciate all you do

KQ- I'm going to keep doing them randomly as I am able to connect with guys. I owe one to Steven Sylvester. We were supposed to do it last year. There are a few older Curry-era guys I'd like to get and then work my way around different eras of guys.

Tech didn't use Anthony Carrie much in the spring game, so from your own observations and what your sources tell you, how would you rate these characteristics for him from strongest to weakest:

(1) Quickness - can make people miss in the open field
(2) Toughness - willing to run over people and then break tackles
(3) Speed - will outrun most DB's when he hits the 2nd level
(4) Skill & Coordination - Great hands for catching swing passes and screens
(5) Smart - Will not forget/screw up his assignments on most plays
(6) Sacrifices - Can and will pass protect

KQ- Hmmmm, He is very good at 4, 2, and 1. I think 5 and 6 are the areas that he needs to work on the most right now and 3 is pretty good.

No countdown to Ireland?

KQ- I have so much going on, I kind of forgot it was like day 97 before I remembered.

What happened with Jontae Gilbert?

KQ- He is slow. This happens every year with a guy like him. There was another DB this exact same thing just happened to last cycle, CJ Heard. He ended up at FAU.

Saw the post on the GHSA games not happening over Thanksgiving, will that be something that sticks moving forward or just a change with UGA having the game this year?

KQ- I'm not sure, but that makes sense. If COFH is on Friday moving it makes 100% sense. That is the biggest game of the year in the state of Georgia and a huge recruiting event for both schools regardless of who is hosting.

1. Who does Hall think he is?
2. What gives him the right?

KQ- ADTS

Are there any former assistant coaches for football/basketball that are still getting paid? If so, could that be hindering some NIL allocation?

KQ- That is a good question, but I believe all of that is off the books, but they had to account for all of that. I'll ask around about it.

Another guitar question. Do you like fingerstyle players? I saw that Mike Dawes is going to play in Decatur this summer.

KQ- Sometimes, it is really dependant. I like it in certain styles of music, but not necessarily when someone is covering a popular song and playing the vocal melody alongside of it. I've sen Andy McKee live and he was pretty good. I'll have to check out Dawes.

Do current commits get prioritized to come certain weekends for the OV to help recruit others visiting?

KQ- It is a mix of that and availability with their parents being able to come. If all things are equal they try to line up commits who they think will jive with specific kids to help recruit them especially the QB commits.

With unlimited OVs can they OV twice? I know it’s a Petty question.

KQ- Only if the head coach is fired. That regulation is still there, one trip to each school.

Beesball questions for RJ:

- What is the perception of the GT Program amongst other coaches and baseball people? Perception of CDH?
- Is CDH oblivious to how much the hardcore fans are past ready for him to be gone?
- Is CDH oblivious to how much he's tarnished whatever legacy he may have at one time had?
- Have you talked w/any former players to get their thoughts on the program?
- I would assume if CDH were to no longer be the coach that there would be huge interest in the job from high level coaches. Agree?

Alright @Russell Johnson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.