ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 5/28 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Have you heard how many of our guys have opted in for the new ncaa football game? Saw LSU had like 38 players that opted out and really hoping we don’t have close to that many

KQ- That was sort of an old news story recycled. Some of the LSU players have refuted that report. Apparently, they opted back in. No one has a true count of it yet because of the way people have to go about reaching out to players. It is not exactly a lucrative offer to the players in the game, but they get a copy and a little bit of pocket money from EA. I would be shocked if anyone opted out from GT. I have not heard about anyone opting out, but I haven't asked either.

Do you think cutting capacity at BDS will actually help? Have any of the SA’s been talked to and asked how they feel about it?

KQ- The players could give zero shits about the stadium capacity. They just want a loud and fun environment to play in. It has not been that many years since probably 2016 game to game. That is a fan ego thing not a player thing. Haynes King or Jamal Haynes or Eric Singleton Jr. don't care if there are 2k less seats or whatever in the stadium. Brent Key doesn't care either. They want to win games and they want a loud crowd, end of story.

This part of the move had nothing to do with reducing overall capacity in any real way but had more to do with the space needed for the new building. It was some bold strategy to reduce seating by J Batt. They are going to eventually change the seating IMO from everything I've heard and try to make the stadium have a more premium feel, but this isn't a big cog in that wheel. They had room to trim some excess capacity anyway. Less UGA fans coming every other year now and your tickets become more valuable as well.

When you get a chance, can you ask Romello Height how he feels about opening the season at home in Dublin?

In all seriousness, do you think he was the biggest transfer addition? Sack leader this year?

KQ- That is funny. I'll have to remember that when we talk to Romello. The staff are very excited about Romello and view him as an upgrade over the other rush ends from the last few years from a pure talent standpoint. He was productive and this is where Jess Simpson and Kyle Pope can really earn their keep. They need to develop him into a consistent sack producer. He has all of the tools and it will be interesting to see how both Height and Kevin Harris respond to the coaching and changes in approach from what their previous coaches and schemes had them doing. Both have a lot of potential still. I would put my money on Height leading the team in sacks this season as of today.

Probably a question for Russell, but what dollar figure keeps Drew Burress at Tech next year?

KQ- @Russell Johnson

With schools now paying players like employees, would all scholly players get paid the same amount?

KQ- No it will remain tiered just like it is at most places now. Everyone gets a baseline and GT the top 20 or 25 get more than the baseline and it goes upward for guys like Eric Singleton Jr.

For the top players would it be “base pay” plus NIL?

KQ- That is what it is now.

Do golfers and tennis etc get paid? Female sports?

KQ- That is up to the schools. There is not a requirement that everyone gets paid now, just that they can get paid.

Does the base pay come from Football which would be different than basketball different than softball?

KQ- Again you are thinking about this like a 20-40-hour job with a pay scale. That is not how this will work. They are not being called employees this just allowed them to bring NIL basically in-house.

What would be your guess on base pay for football?

KQ- No clue. I think everyone is trying to figure that out right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News