ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 4/18 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1664824228051.png

Sorry for the delay, I actually forgot about this handling tax stuff the last two days and my elderly parents totaled their car in their driveway and got banged up. Being an adult sucks.

RE: Basketball - in order of most likely to least likely, rank the following:
  • Blue Cain recommits to Tech
  • Matthew Cleveland transfers to Tech
  • Neither guy ends up at Tech
  • Both guys end up at Tech

KQ- Neither, Cleveland, Cain, Both

RE: Potential soccer/lacrosse stadium - what would this look like to start playing varsity sports at the ACC level? Would it be a matter of "you can start playing as soon as the stadium is ready?" or is it more complex?

KQ- I don't know honestly. I think they'd have to let the ACC know and start working on how it would fit into the schedule and would it make for odd team numbers and would they need someone else to join or how would scheduling work. I'm sure the league would enjoy it but I'm not holding my breath in the short term. GT has a lot of other investments with athletics they need to focus on fixing.

Which happens first? ACC champ in football or basketball.

KQ- Probably football, I still think Key is three years away from having the program at a point to do something like that. I think he is trying to build a sustainable program from the ground up. There will be growing pains. I think hoops doesn't have the NIL cash yet to get there. I suppose if Damon can really coach and recruit they could get there faster, but both new coaches are truly unknowns running the programs.

Maybe these are just my anti-scooter-colored glasses, but it seems like we're getting more public interest from 'big' names (specifically: more 4 and 5 stars) in Key's year 1 than scooter's year 1. Is that actually true?

If so, wow scooter, recruiting was supposed to be your 'thing'. What the hell, dude.

KQ- This is more of a @Russell Johnson question. My memory can't handle who was on campus in 2020. I will say that covid hit a time that didn't do any favors to Collins recruiting ramp up to be fair to him and that staff. Covid happened 15 months after they took over the program and they came from Temple and had been recruiting in an entirely different area.

Are we going to land McClendon?

KQ- Another @Russell Johnson question.

For KQ or Russell or both if you have an opinion:

Danny Hall has famously said he has no hobbies to look forward to in retirement. At age 68, do you think a realistic outcome at some point is that he could move into an Associate AD role instead of retire?

That way you could sell it as Danny getting promoted, he can still come to work every day and have an emeritus type of influence on baseball, and GT hangs onto rising-star Ramsey - or whoever the succession plan is if Ramsey is gone by that point. But something has to change soon.

KQ- I was joking with Russell today that Danny will still be coaching when my toddler is ready to play college baseball. It was a cheap joke, but I have no idea what is going to happen. Batt pulled the trigger on a coach who had more recent success than Hall in hoops firing Pastner so I have no idea. I'm sure Danny has been hoping for one last run to Omaha to ride out on. I thought he was going to retire when his kids were done but that didn't happen either. It's not my area of expertise, but I think it is a question that should be asked right now. How do you get this thing fixed. They shouldn't be getting swept badly by VaTech in baseball.

Most important part of a spring game is coming out without any major injuries. Everyone that played good?

KQ- Only two guys left the game that I saw. Avery Boyd got knocked to the ground in the end zone and came back in a few plays later and caught a TD. Brett Seither tried to play on a bad ankle and ended up having to miss the rest of the scrimmage after he tweaked it. Seither tried to go back in and the trainers blocked him. He just has a sprained ankle I think.

Defense was playing more base set on Saturday but looked like we had three LBs out there at times. Are we less of a nickel base now?

KQ- That was numbers based, they were down a nickel in the spring with Khari Gee out recovering from something and also they are running more 4-3 against 12 personnel and the offense was light on WRs so they were playing a lot of 12 so that brings the SAM in the game. They showed this look at times last year against teams with heavier personnel. That is due to KJ Wallace and Rod Shelley being more slot corners and less like safeties. They also had like zero scheme installed for the spring game.

How do you see the kicking department shape out? Small sample size from Saturday but Stewart missed his short FG attempt and Birr made his.

KQ- I would put ZERO stock in what you saw. I wasn't even sure why Stewart missed his kick. I never saw a replay of it. Birr is not 100% yet and is still getting his leg strength back so I expect Stewart and Birr will battle well into the fall. Both have kicked well this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News