ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/13 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1639432147872.png

What is the largest animal you could kick to death ?

KQ- Is it tranquilized or not?

We take Over/Under 5.5 transfers?

KQ- Over

Odds our recruiting class breaks the top 30?

KQ- Decent, just depends on the count of transfers vs HS kids. I do see them potentially signing HS kids in Feb this time around. Everyone is pivoting to transfer targets so the math is very fuzzy on how teams will finish in the top 40 to begin with right now. There are schools taking mostly transfers instead of HS kids, it is wild.

Who is an underrated player on the roster you see potentially making a big improvement this off-season?

KQ- Tyson Meiguez is a guy who I think would've played a lot this past year and didn't because of the knee injury. Going with people I've seen play this past year, Derrik Allen at safety (he needs to play safety) has the size and body type to be pretty good if he gets coached up. On the offensive side, I still wonder about the two Dylans and if having a Chip Long who knows how to use TEs more effectively in his offense than Pnode will yield some much bigger numbers for those guys.

Over/under for 4* in 2023 class?

KQ- no way to know about 2023 kids yet, we have only seen a fraction of them and they will move around the rankings a lot over the next 9 months.

How do you see the RB room fill out? (How many transfers and recruits come in)

KQ- Dontae Smith, probably Antwan Roberts and the two freshmen Antonio Martin and Jamie Felix. The funny part is the two freshmen walk-ons Daylon Gordon and Englan Williams may have been better than Tony Amerson or BJS when I watched practice last year. They can play well enough to contribute some if needed.

Would there be serious consideration to moving home games vs. UGA to Mercedes-Benz for at least a game or two to measure it’s impact? Couldn’t hurt based on several factors.

KQ- Some people around the program have discussed this at different times. CPJ told me it was discussed when the Benz deal first came about but they opted to not do it for a multitude of reasons but maybe Covid and other factors could change that math.

A few questions with baseball

• What's y'all's read on the coaching situation? Is 2022 CDH's swan(n) song?
  • True/False - we have a non-zero chance of getting Johnson or Sabathia on campus
  • Guesses on rotation this spring?
RJ- I do not believe Hall has received a contract extension other than the one that secured him through 2023 back in 2019.

I anticipate a coach-in-waiting title coming for James Ramsey, possibly even before the season.

He has been heavily involved on all personnel decisions. Look for that influence to grow more and more in all aspects if what I mentioned above does actually happen.

True

I expect them to give Marquis Grissom the first shot at being the Friday night starter early on. I’m curious to see what they are going to do with Cort Roedig. He pitched really well this fall. If he can be slotted in on either Saturday or Sunday and be counted on that would be a huge relief for Danny Borrell and the rest of the staff. Maxwell still had trouble with walks in the fall, but he also has a super high K% that makes you wonder if he can be stretched into a starter. Throwing 96 or 97, controlled and with more innings, could be better for both his short and long-term future. There are several newcomers, both from the portal and from HS that could end up fighting for a rotation spot.

Can you do your best to describe "the culture" that CGC has repeatedly told us will lead to wins? What even is so special about this sense of comradery he talks about so often? Purely a marketing ploy?

KQ- I am probably not going to do this justice and I'd rather let someone else explain it within the program, but to me, it seems like they have a brotherhood of players and they hold each other accountable on and off the field when it is functioning properly. I think like anything it is not a perfect system and obviously, Collins has been tweaking and adjusting things so maybe it is changing. It is a lot different than say GOL who had a really dominating top-down setup or CPJ who had his culture based on the offense and the players believing in the system and the way they did things every day.

Kelly if you started training tomorrow do you think you could contribute at RB next fall?

In all seriousness, we are probably getting Martin/Felix but we really still need 2 RBs in the portal right? Not sure if they're going after 1 or 2 but I'd think we need 5 RBs next year..

KQ- As I said above I think they are okay with four because of the quality of the two walk-on kids they have and if they need another RB there will be some available in the portal come May as well.

Is this the worst birthday you have ever had?

KQ- Sadly it is not the worst birthday I ever had. The worst birthday I ever had was many years ago and involved a girl...

do you expect any positive signing day surprises?

KQ- Yes

do we have any vocal leaders on this team that will push their teammates to a higher level?

KQ- I think there are a few, it is one of those classic things where I think the older guys didn't command the room for whatever reason as leaders. I saw a leadership void on the players' side and a lack of accountability amongst the players at times.

With all the bad news lately, what do you say to the GT faithful to give them hope?

KQ- Right now Geoff Collins is like a soon-to-be free agent pitcher coming off an injury who needs a big season to get his money contract. Either he will bounce back or the team will cut ties with him and it is unlikely that a 12-10 record and a 4.95 ERA is going to get him another year if that makes sense using baseball. The one other thing I will say is there are more important eyeballs on GT football than I've seen in my time covering the program from the booster, academics and president side expecting things. That has the possibility of changing some things.

You and Russell are named Co-ADs for GT. You are told to assemble a coaching staff and support staff consisting of your JOL subscribers. What would your team look like?

Let's save this one for another week my friend, I like the question though.

Thank you and @Russell Johnson for the fantastic coverage, even when it doesn’t go our way!

KQ- It is all we know. lol.

Can you explain how many transfers we are allowed to take? I have heard something about a cap on transfers at 7 assuming you take a 25 person recruiting class, but there are some loopholes there. Can you help us understand the numbers?

KQ- The rule is 7 at a time to replace guys who have left. GT has had like 9-10 transfers since the start of the year so they can sign 7.

If the Geoff/Todd plan does fail next year, do you think it could be a quick fix if the next hire hangs onto some of the talent, or do you think it could turn into a long mess like Men’s Basketball finally got out of last year with the breakthrough getting back to the tournament? A blip of a few 3-win seasons is one thing, but realistically could we be at the precipice where GT risks getting totally left behind in football altogether?

KQ- With football, it is too hard for guys to leave in big groups because there are just not enough homes for kids especially those who have not proved themselves on the field. I think the overall talent will be up from when they got here as well so those are things to consider. I am not a doomsday guy, I'm actually very optimistic about where GT football is going long term given some things I've been hearing.

When is your next vacation? I need to know so I can take a xanax on that date.

KQ- I am seriously going out of the country next year to somewhere without cell service if I have to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News