ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 10/25 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1635184192347.png
Is Jamal Camp progressing at all?
KQ- Hard to say, he is very much on the developmental team and is not traveling either. He is playing offensive guard but I would say he is maybe 3rd team if you are getting that deep into it.

How is the staff feeling about Perry?
KQ- Peery and I’m not sure where he is in his development curve. He lost a full year of development in HS so I think there are some growing pains there. I’m curious to see what his long term plan is. He has a serious GF back out west (I think at one of the Arizona schools) and sometimes that tends to not workout as well.

RJ, is Antonio Martin having a disappointing senior year?

RJ- No, I wouldn’t say he has had a disappointing year at all. He struggled with an injury earlier this season, but is now fully recovered and ready for a playoff push. He was impressive this past week. He and Kellman are great 1-2 punch at the position for Choice to have so far.

Kelly, do you think CGC thinks this job is harder than he thought?

KQ- The one thing that every GT coach since Bobby Dodd will agree upon is the job is harder than they thought it would be. I can see it wearing on Collins already visibly. CPJ aged like 10-15 years from 2010 to 2013.

Does tech have a better shot to beat uga this year or 2019?

KQ- I think if the game is as close at halftime as it was in 2019, they should celebrate. This UGA team is nasty on D.

Does Meka play a large role this year?

KQ-It will all depend on how he looks when the lights come on. He is coming off a serious back injury so I think it will take him some time to get back to where he needs to be physically. I do think he is a good rebounder and a decent rim protector so if Rodney Howard or Saba are not getting it done his minutes will go up.

Who leads the bball team points? Rebounds? Assist?

KQ- Points, Devoe, Rebounds- Usher, Assists- Devoe

Does AT not have a chance to play O in college?

RJ- This is something I have been intrigued by in recent months. Thomas is athletic enough to play on either side of the ball, that much cannot be denied. Could he play both ways at times in college? Absolutely. Could he play offensive exclusively and end up in the NFL like I expect him to as a defender? Possibly, but I believe his ceiling is highest at cornerback.

It does seem like tech should be the favorite in the coastal in 2022 with Sims and Gibbs back agree?
KQ- So Pitt loses everyone, Miami is a mess, UNC is a mess and UVA lose a bunch of guys as well so I’d think GT would be a top 2 or 3 in the Coastal.

Out of the 6 remaining regular season games, O/U 1.5 games Gibbs will have 100+ rushing yards?
KQ- He just had one, he just needs one more, I think he will get one more if he stays healthy.

Defense forced 9 turnovers in the 1st half of the season. O/U 9 takeaways in the back half of the schedule?
KQ- I’ll take the under there based on who is left. BC, UGA and ND all protect the ball well from what I’ve seen so you’ll need to get them off VT and Miami.

Of the current GT commits for the 22 class, how many will sign in December?

RJ- If one of the current commits doesn’t sign in December, they either are going to de-commit, already de-committed, got dropsed, or are waiting for a bigger offer. I currently would be surprised if more than one of the current commits didn’t sign in December. I don’t see a River Helms or Trent Howard on the list at this time. That can change, of course, but for now I believe they have a really strong foundation in this 2022 class. There’s still room for more, too.

When will the 2023 recruits be re-ranked? Javin Simpkins seems a little low as a 5.7.

RJ- 2023 recruits will be evaluated and re-ranked after the HS season ends. They are not the priority of course, as the updates with the 2022 class will come first.

We keep seeing new offers for 2022 go out.
1) At this point, are all of these offers commitable?
2) Which players with recent offers should we be looking at as near future commits?

RJ- 1- All of the offers being sent out are not committable. I know that may be confusing, but let me explain a bit further. Georgia Tech can throw out offers all over the country to prospects when they are either blowing up or about to blow up. By doing so, they stay on “level ground” with the other schools that have offered, and can continue to keep the prospect warm, knowing that they are not close to a decision. The next step after sending out an offer like that, is to see the recruit in-person. That’s what is being done all over the country by nearly every coaching staff that doesn’t have a full class currently.

From there, they decide whether or not they should continue recruiting said recruit, and make the offer committable.

2- Cam East, Jacarrius Peak, Eddie Kelly, B.J. Diakite, Jamari Sharpe, etc.

With Choice visiting Barnes are we considering taking 3 RBs in the class now?

RJ- IMO, it would be very hard to turn down Barnes, if he wanted in. I don’t see that happening, but they continue to push for him so he continues to be on the offer list.

Set the O/U on the number of questions until he commits, about AT that get the response of “the longer it goes the better it is for GT”.

KQ- 150

In general when it comes to roster management are coaches looking at the roster as if the COVID year pause didn’t happen? When looking at rosters it is ridiculous seeing the amount of freshmen. In 3 you could actually have of a roster graduate.

KQ- Not sure what you are asking, are you asking if they will lose a flood of seniors in three years who are like sophomores athletically and that is possible with the way GT moves guys through the system.

KQ..hearing any feedback from CGC in regards to Rece Davis’s comments this morning on Gameday…that LSU, Ohio St and UGA have no recruiting competition in their perspective states?

KQ- No he is no fool, GT is not in a position to poke that dog at the moment.

Question for RJ: How AWESOME are the Braves?!!?

RJ- Man, I couldn’t be more happy to eat crow. I was fully in the selling mindset back in July. AA deserves all the credit in the world for putting this together. I have been beyond impressed by him. Next is winning the series, re-signing Freddie, and hoping that there is no lockout before next season. Liberty Media will have NO excuse to not invest this off-season given the money they are currently printing in The Battery.

The stadium, and the economy boost around the area it has created the last few years have completely flipped that part of the city on its head.

Getting back to the team, I don’t even know the word to describe what we were feeling at my house last night. Very excited for Tuesday night.

- Who’s Yondjouen’s favorite Belgian soccer star?

KQ- Not sure but I’ll try to ask him.

- In your experience, does it benefit a college coach to coach both sides of the ball at some point in their careers (as CPJ when he started working for CER)?

KQ- I think it does, Collins has coached both ways he was a TE assistant coach under GOL and then later a defensive coach. Many of the guys I know who are successful coaches know both sides of the ball.

How would you improve the defensive side of the ball?

KQ- So I think you have to keep it simple, try to blitz and let them play more man-to-man and get guys on the field who can handle that. I'd stay out of the 3-3-5 if you not going to blitz and if they are going to play back 8 like they did against UVA you should be in a 3-2-6 and pull one of the bigger LBs out like Ace or Quez because that is unfair to ask either of them to cover so much in zone.

Key is the highest paid assistant. I believe at least 50% higher than any other. What are his duties besides OL coach?

KQ- Key is the highest paid assistant because he was the most in-demand assistant coach on the staff and the only one on a P5 staff in 2018. It is that simple, market economics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News