ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 10/16 sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Would you say it is reasonable to expect a pretty good basketball team this year? Seems like we have a nice mix of veterans and some young athletes coming off the bench. Usually seems like a pretty good formula in CBB

KQ- I think it is reasonable to expect a competitive team. I think in year one expecting a big uptick in wins and losses will be hard to figure out early. Both CDS and his players and staff are figuring this all out. The schedule is not super hard, but the ACC slate is pretty brutal upfront and there are a couple of tough non-conference games as well mixed in as well. It is not a gimme schedule.

What I'm looking for is the execution and vision of what the style of play is on both sides and improvement on both ends of the court. I think ultimately the wins and losses will be determined by 3-point shooting and player development of guys like Miles Kelly (can he make him an All-ACC guard), Amaree Abram, Baye, Deebo, Kowacie, Ebe and Terry. I think other guys like Claude or Sturdivant are what they are so it will be those other guys and if they can find five of them to be the core of the team.

Did our Jackets steal all October "Atlanta sports good vibes" and left none for the Braves? Answer via haiku plz

Rainy October
A saddness Jackets sling
at the old Canes.

Where does the Miami game rank as the all-time greatest comeback for GT?

KQ- My reference points are limited to about 2008 on. Obviously, the UGA game in 2008 was pretty epic. As was the 2016 UGA game. Those pop out in the top of my mind.

We seem to play harder and even win on the road better than at home since key took over. Do you think they are a disappointment when the players comes out at home and sees that the stands are half full compared to the road games they play in so they give less effort than they would on the road?

KQ- Yes. I've said this a lot. When folks don't show up it is deflating for the SAs, it doesn't help recruiting and it has an overall negative impact on the program whether you like the HC or don't or are not loving the team or not. If you want it to get better you have to show up and be loud.

Is a head coach chewing out a coordinator / player on the sideline really a bad look? I was a Gailey fan but always thought he could’ve showed more emotion on the sideline when something wasn’t going right. I never had any problem with CPJ lighting up a player during the game.

KQ- It depends, there are guys who do too much of it. I thought CPJ was always pretty justified when he lit someone up and it made sense most of the time. I think Key isn't over the top with it either. I do think there are hot head guys as well who go overboard. I am not a fan of the stoic Gailey type either. To me it gives off the wrong vibes in this era to both the team and the fans if you just stand there internalizing everything. Sometimes folks need to be yelled at.

What's the general point of view around GT Football as you interact with other media at the half-way point? Has it changed from pre-season, or is it pretty much the same?

KQ- I haven't been around anyone outside my bubble since the Miami game, so I am unsure. I think everyone is in the prove it mode with GT especially after the Bowling Green loss. The team has played up and down pretty consistently since 2017. I think a lot of that is talent and some of it is coaching/leadership. That is what Key is trying to fix.

Are there any players that you are expecting to head to the league after this season?

KQ- For GT? Like guys leaving early. No. Could it happen, I guess. Really the one to watch is LaMiles Brooks if he builds upon the last game and plays like he did most of last year. I think it will be interesting to see what his draft stock looks like if that happens. There are always guys who test the waters as well.

How about any All-ACC predictions?

KQ- I assume you mean relative to GT.

I think right now Haynes would get honorable mention at QB, Jamal Haynes might be up for most improved player, Kyle Kennard honorable mention, Jay King honorable mention, Joe Fusile and Weston Franklin maybe honorable mention. Eric Singleton Jr. All-Freshman along with Ethan Mackenny.

• Which players do we expect to see back on the field after the bye week?
KQ- I'm happy to guess now before I go to practice tomorrow. I would think we will see Chase Lane and maybe Jordan Williams. I think Leo Blackburn isn't ready yet.
  • It seems that the ACC has thrown ACC order of finish out the window for the bowl selection process. If GT were to finish at 5-3 in the conference, does GT get overlooked for Jax, Nashville, & Charlotte?
KQ- GT probably goes to the Sun Bowl or Gator Bowl in that scenario maybe San Diego.
  • Which player or players do you expect to have the strongest 2nd half of the season?
KQ- LaMiles Brooks, Paul Moala, Horace Lockett, Eric Singleton Jr, Leo Blackburn, Haynes King.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.