ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Georgia Tech Football Average Annual Attendance; nothing but the facts

Whatsthegoodword

Gold Member
Aug 13, 2017
Arkansas
Tech-average-attendance.png

I've been compiling this data in my free time for months, and a recent ice storm finally gave me the time to finish it and put it all in an easily digestible form. This info comes from multiple sources; media guides, news clippings, wikipedia. Some of the data from the 1930's and '40s includes some estimates, but everything from 1950 or so forward is as accurate as the record keepers wanted it to be.

The light gold area in the chart shows Grant Field's capacity for the given year, and the dark gold area shows the per game average attendance for that same year.

My takeaways from this data: 1) The 1988 stadium renovation/reduction was needed, as was the 2003 stadium expansion. In our entire history, we have averaged over 50,000 per game only nine times, but SIX of those years have come since the '03 expansion. I've said here repeatedly that the recent expansion was needed, but poorly executed. I think this data backs up that opinion.

2) The fan base *really* did not like Pepper Rodgers. I've always heard this and look at these numbers!

3) Yes, the arrival of the Braves & Falcons hurt, but it can be overcome.

I have lots of detail info that explains some the data, and I'll post that as well in time. This chart is a good place to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.