ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 in the ACC...and some other games of note

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Thursday 7:00 ESPN: North Carolina (6-1/3-0) at #23 Pittsburgh (6-1/4-0)
*A really big game for the Coastal division at Heinz Field. The Tar Holes open as 3-point favorites on a short week of rest. Pitt has squeezed out 3-pt wins on last minute field goals in their previous two games - both on the road. Pitt has played 5 road games to only 2 home games this season. 4 of their last 5 now are at home starting with Thursday night. Pitt defeated UNC in Chapel Hell last year, 40-35. UNC won the first meeting with Pitt as an ACC member 2 years ago in Pittsburgh, 34-27. Should be a great game and perhaps another high scoring close affair as well.

Friday 7:00 ESPN-2: Louisville (3-4/2-2) at Wake Forest (3-5/1-4)
*The Cards have won 3 of their last 4 and can get back to .500 with a W at Winston. With Cuse and the French at home in their next 2 games, UofL has a good shot at qualifying for a MEG with a W this upcoming weekend. The Cards are 11-pt favorites.

12:00 ABC: Syracuse (3-4/1-2) at #17 Florida State (6-1/4-1)
*Time for the Noles to start another ACC winning streak? Likely. Though, with a roadie on the horizon at Clemson coming up in Week 10, it may be short-lived. I doubt ABC was expecting the Noles to be coming off a loss when they chose this game for a national noon telecast. The Noles are laying 20 at home (seems like a lot to me, btw). Cuse has lost 4 in a row, but other than a bad outing at South Florida, they have played everyone tough (10 pt loss vs LSU, 6 pt loss in 3OT at Virginia, 3 pt loss vs Pitt).

12:30 ACC Network: Virginia Tech (3-5/1-3) at Boston College (3-5/0-5)
*BC has lost 4 in a row. The Hokies' nation-leading streak of MEG appearances is in serious jeopardy at this point as they have lost 4 of their last 5. The Hokies defeated NC State to break a streak of losing to Atlantic division teams. The Eagles have won the last 2 years. The Hokies open as 2.5 pt favorites.

3:00 RSN: Georgia Tech (3-5/1-4) at Virginia (2-5/1-2)
*Just using Sagarin's as a guide (I know there are other and perhaps better ratings services), GT has played the 6th toughest schedule in the nation and the French have played the 7th toughest. Thanks to a 3-game winning streak and 5 of the last 6, Tech now leads the all-times series, 19-17-1. However, Tech is 4-10-1 at Scott Sisson Stadium. SSS likely will be less than half full this Halloween. Tech opens as a 3.5 pt favorite in God's Country.

3:30 ABC: #3 Clemson (7-0/4-0) at NC State (5-2/1-2)
*THIS is the trap game for the Orangenecks. It boggles my mind that Clemson isn't ranked #1 in the nation. Or, at least, ahead of Baylor, who has played NO-BO-DY! The Textile Bowl should be a good one like it normally is. Clemson is laying 10.5 pts. Seems like too many to me. Watch out, Tigers! Clemson is the ACC's only team (IMO) with a shot at making the playoffs. These next 2 weekends will be their biggest tests in that journey I think.

7:00 ESPN-U: Miami (4-3/1-2) at #22 Duke (6-1/3-0)
*Will the Canes bounce back from their embarrassing loss at home to Clemson? Maybe. But, the truth is....I just don't think they are all that good. Duke is coming off a huge road win in 4OT at Blacksburg. Duke needs this win to stay in the Coastal race with UNC and Pitt. It's now a 3-team race. The game is currently off the board with the leadership changes taking place at Coral Gables.

and a couple of others...

3:30 CBS: Cesspool (5-2/3-2) vs #11 Florida (6-1/4-1)
*Both teams were off this past weekend. The Gators can cash their ticket to Atlanta with a win here. The Gators open as 3 pt favorites in Jacksonville.

8:00 ABC: #9 Notre Dame (6-1) at #21 Temple (7-0/4-0)
*Wow! Who woulda thunk this game would feature teams who are a combined 13-1 at this point? The Irish are 9.5 pt favorites. The Owls are very good on the defensive side of the ball. They are still in the running for the G5's NYD MEG entry. Great to see a program get a sellout at Lincoln Financial Field when just a decade ago (similar to Duke) they were struggling to draw 5 thousand fans.

Btw, I thought Chris Farley died many years ago. Who knew he is alive and a Clemson cheerleader?

102415-CFB-Clemson-Head-Coach-Dabo-Swinney-PI-CH.vadapt.620.high.21.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT