ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 in the ACC...and some other games of note

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Didn't post a preview last week due to being in Europe on business, but will get this one in here this week a little early as I want to look ahead and perhaps help get this past Saturday's sour taste out of my mouth somehow...

12:00 ESPN: Louisville (2-3/1-1) at #11 Florida State (5-0/3-0)
*The Noles keep rolling. The Cards are coming off a bye week and a road ACC win at NC State in a monsoon in Week 5. The Noles travel to Atlanta in Week 8 and would like to roll into Bobby Dodd undefeated and still very much in the ACC and national title picture. With the extra week off, will Petrino and his guys take advantage of the extra time off while the Noles fought through their tough win over rival, Miami? The Noles are a touchdown favorite in Tally.

12:30 ACC Network: Pitt (4-1/2-0) at Ga Tech (2-4/0-3)
*The Panthers are in great shape to win the Coastal title. They have a road W out of the way at Blacksburg. They get UNC, UofL and Miami at home. They have a very winnable road game at Cuse in Week 8 coming up. That leaves the game at Rutgers-Durham in Week 11 as a potential looming winner-take-all game if they can navigate their way over the next few weeks. First things first though, they must take care of business as a field goal road underdog on Grant Field against an angry bunch of underachieving Yellow Jackets. Pitt's players have to be a bit upset and perhaps embarrassed themselves from the beat down they received by Tech a year ago at Heinz Field. What a difference a season makes. But, so goes life in college athletics featuring 18-23 year olds. Not really sure why GT is favored in this game, btw. The Pitt offense should be drooling when watching the Tech defense on film.

3:30 ESPN-U: Va Tech (3-3/1-1) at Miami (3-2/0-1)
*Miami has a home date with Clemson and a roadie at Duke after this one. The Fire Al Golden campaign is in full swing already in south Florida. Lose to the Hokies at home and it will be perhaps too much to overcome in mid-season. The Hokies got a key win at home over the Wolfpack this past Friday night after getting behind early. That win perhaps saved the Hokies season and at minimum kept some hopes alive to salvage their nation-leading bowl appearance streak. Both teams are in pretty tough positions to be seriously considered as a contender for the Coastal title, but the loser likely is pretty much eliminated considering what they have left on their schedules and the extreme unlikelihood either would run the table the rest of the way. The Canes are a touchdown favorite.

3:30 RSN: Syracuse (3-2/1-0) at Virginia (1-4/0-1)
*The Orange traveled to Tampa Bay and were soundly beaten this past weekend by a mediocre South Florida team to the tune of a 21-pt margin. The French are just wading through the inevitable firing of Mike London. BLAH is the only word to describe this matchup. Massah Jeffuhsun's Univuhsity is an eye opening 8 pt favorite which says something about the depths of how deeply folks in Vegas thinks the folks from upstate New York really stink.

7:00 RSN: Wake Forest (3-3/1-2) at North Carolina (4-1/1-0)
*Well hey there, way to go DEACS! They eeked out a 3-0 win on the road at BC. Wake defeated Va Tech last year at home 6-3...in double overtime!!!! So, they are used to winning these extremely low scoring games I guess. But, in comes Marquise Williams and the UNC offensive machine AND with a week off to freshen up and prep a little more. This smells like a blowout at Kenan. The Holes are 16 pt favorites at the moment.

7:00 ESPN-U: Boston College (3-3/0-3) at #5 Clemson (5-0/3-0)
*In rolls the offensive-challenged Eagles who play darn good defense. The Eagles have given up 43 pts on the entire season. How ironic that Clemson just scored that same number on the Good Guys this past Saturday at Death Valley in the rain. The Orangenecks are 16.5 pt favorites. This will be fun to watch if for no other reason to see if the Eagles can slow down the Kitty Cat offensive machine and Watson. Clemson's D should pitch a shutout.

Off this week: Duke (now #25 in the rankings) and NC State

And some other games of note..

3:30 CBS: #10 Alabama (5-1/2-1) at #9 Texas A&M (5-0/2-0)
*This should be a fantastic game to watch. Go Aggies! (full disclosure...my oldest sister is an Aggie alum) Bama is currently laying 4.5 on the road.

3:30 ESPN: #7 Michigan State (6-0/2-0) at #12 Michigan (5-1/2-0)
*Wow! Talk about a HUUUUGE matchup. Michigan is making some history with 3 straight shutouts. This game is not only about state rivals and who may decide the Big Pick A Number East, but it has obvious national playoff implications as well. And then, there are the Buckeyes who are sitting at #1 above each of them in the division too. The Wolves are a touchdown favorite at the moment.

7:00 ESPN: #8 Florida (6-0/4-0) at #6 LSU (5-0/3-0)
*Florida can make a huge dent in wrapping up the SEC East early with a W in Baton Rouge. I don't think they are good enough to win the SEC as I don't think anybody in the SEC-E is. The Tigers however are a national title contender. Should be another great game....following the 3:30 bevy of great games. The Tigers are a touchdown favorite.

Last edited:
Oh, and one more thing to post before I put last weekend to rest...

...WAY TO GO BIG ORANGE!

tumblr_maeu899QLj1qzw3av.gif

OK GTJT VPI or Miami ? Have not seen VPI this year. I don't think Miami looks bad but they have been seen to cash out after they lost to FSU in the pass.

Hokies have found a stud WR, Isaiah Ford, who has 28 receptions for 421 yds and 6 TD's thru their first 6 games. Blanket him and force the rest of the unimpressive Hokie offense to beat you. Who knows what you are going to get from the Canes? They lay eggs at Cincinnati, play FSU decent on the road....they are kind of like getting a Chaka Kahn present from your Grandmother. Not sure what you're going to get, but pretty sure you ain't gonna like it.

Watching whoever loses this game will be the fun part. I mean, since our season unfortunately looks to be on ready-mode for flushing, I am now forced to hope for a monumental upset right after Turkey Day by our Good Guys and in the mean time try to find humor and fun elsewhere in this miserable season. Watching the Hokies go to 3-4 and meltdown will be fun. Or, watching the Al Golden lynching will be fun too. Since I'm closer to the Hokies physically and in numbers, I will root for their meltdown. So, go Canes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT