ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 in the ACC (and a few others)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Fri. 7:00 (ESPN) Duke [3-3/0-2] at #7 Louisville [4-1/2-1]
Louisville is coming off a bye week and that disappointing late loss at Clemson. The Cardinals are still in the playoff picture…especially with Houston losing at Navy this past weekend and the Big 12 + Pac 12 only having 3 teams who are undefeated (Baylor, WVU, Washington). Duke held off Army, 13-6, in the monsoon known as Matthew. These two have one previous meeting on the books back in 2002 (UofL won 40-3). The Cards are laying 33. WOW!

12:00 (ESPN or ESPN-2) NC State [4-1/1-0] at #3 Clemson [6-0/3-0]
Ahhhh yes, another version of the Textile Bowl. Clemson comes home after destroying a pitiful Boston College team on the road and getting an extra day of rest, while NC State outlasted Notre Dame in the heavy rains and wind of Matthew at home. The Tigers lead the series 55-28-1. Clemson has won last 4 and 11 of the last 12. Clemson is 17.5 pt favorites.

12:30 (RSN) Georgia Southern [3-2] at Georgia Tech [3-3/1-3]
This game has already been previewed in a previous thread...https://georgiatech.forums.rivals.c...eather-game-7-preview-georgia-southern.13954/ Tech is laying 10.5 much to my surprise.

12:30 (ACC Network) Pittsburgh [4-2/1-1] at Virginia [2-3/1-0]
Pitt heads on the road off a big homecoming win over the Jackets, while Virginia had the week off. Virginia is better than their record indicates I think and a home win at Scott Sisson Stadium over the Panthers won’t surprise me at all. In fact, I expect it. Pitt doesn’t play much defense. These 2 programs have met 8 times with Pitt holding a 5-3 lead. Virginia is getting 3 at home.

3:30 (ESPN or ESPN-2) Cheaters [4-2/2-1] at #16 Miami [4-1/1-1]
Here are two teams coming off disappointing losses. The Cheaters were absolutely dominated at home in all phases of the game by the Hokies in the Matthew monsoon. Miami blew a 13-3 lead at home to the Noles. This very well could be an elimination game for the Coastal Division for the loser of this game. The Hokies look very strong. They already have the Cheaters out of the way and after this weekend, they host the Canes on a Thursday night in Week 8 (with both teams on 4 days rest). The Cheaters hold a slim 10-9 lead in the all-times series, though the Canes have won 4 of the last 6. The Cheaters won a year ago in Chapel Hell, 59-21. The Canes are laying 7 pts at home.

3:30 (ESPN or ESPN-2) Wake Forest [5-1/2-1] at #14 Florida State [4-2/1-2]
The Noles are coming off a big comeback win at rival, Miami. The Deacs took care of business at home against the hapless Orange of Upstate New York. The Deacs need 1 more win to qualify for a MEG and they have winnable home games left against Army, Virginia, and Boston College. This is the next-to-last road game for the Deacs as they only have a game at Louisville left on the road. The Noles hold a 27-6-1 advantage over the Deacs all-time. FSU has won the last 4 in a row. Though, the Noles are “only” 6-4 against the Deacs since 2006. FSU won at Winston last year by 8 pts, 24-16. FSU is laying a whopping 22.5 at home.

3:45 (ESPN-U) #17 Virginia Tech [4-1/2-0] at Syracuse [2-4/0-2]
Virginia Tech is looking like the Coastal favorites more and more every week. They kept their poise in the heavy wind and rain at Cheaterville and just destroyed the Cheaters. The Orange will be happy to get back to their Carrier Dome as they’ve played their last 3 away from home. Looking at the Hokies’ schedule, I can see them in the ACCCG at 11-1 against a Clemson team at 12-0 with a chance to get into the playoffs with a win. Getting way too far ahead of myself, but it is possible. The Orange lead the series 9-8. This will be the first meeting of these 2 previous Big East members as both members of the ACC. The Hokies are laying 19 on the road in the Carrier Dome.

Boston College is off this week.

And a few others…

3:00 (Fox Sports Southeast & ESPN-3) #5 Chattanooga [6-0/4-0] at #8 The Citadel [5-0/3-0]
Here at the midway point of the regular season, I think it’s time to give the D1AA programs a little love in some big upcoming games. The Mocs won at home a season ago, 31-23, though The Citadel still went on to share the Southern Conference (and defeated the SEC’s South Carolina) with Chattanooga. Both teams lost in the 2nd round of the D1AA playoffs last year. This game likely will decide the SoCon this year. Chattanooga leads the all-time series, 29-17-2. The Citadel plays at home for only the 2nd time this season as they come off 3 straight road games. The Mocs make their 3rd road trip of the season and are coming off a 52-31 home win over Mercer. No point spreads available for this D1AA matchup where I play, but using Sagarin’s as a guide, the Mocs would/will be a 6-pt favorite. Nothing against The Citadel, but I'll be rooting for the Mocs as one of my childhood friends is on the coaching staff there.

3:30 (CBS) #1 Alabama [6-0/3-0] at #9 Tennessee [5-1/2-1]
This game has strayed away from the old “3rd Saturday in October” tradition the last decade or so at times, but it holds true this year. Bama holds a 53-37-8 lead over the Vols and has opened up the lead on the strength of a current 9-game winning streak. The Tide won 19-14 last year in Tuscaloosa. Tennessee comes off a disappointing road double-overtime loss where they turned the ball over 7 times (and still had a shot against the #8 team on their home field). Bama just keeps rolling as they come off a double digit win at Arkansas. Bama hosts A&M in Week 8, but I don’t think they’ll be peaking ahead with this head-banger in Knoxville and knowing the Vols led them 14-13 with 3 minutes left in Tuscaloosa a season ago. The Vols finish up their 4-week tough stretch (Fla, at Cesspool, at A&M, Bama). UT has to be thinking a win here pretty much wraps up the SEC-East with the tie-breaker over the Gators and all left on the SEC schedule is 3 home games against So Carolina, Kentucky, and Missouri, while having to travel to Vandy. Though the Vols have a terrible habit of playing to the level of its competition, you have to think a win here means the Vols are 11-1 at the SECCG (and very much in the playoff picture). The Tide are laying 12.5 at General Neyland’s Stadium.

8:00 (ABC) #2 Ohio State [5-0/2-0] at #8 Wisconsin [4-1/1-1]
Ohio State just keeps cruising though they didn’t exactly put away an underrated Indiana team, like some thought they might. This appears to be their best challenge left until they meet Michigan (at home). The Badgers almost lost at home to Georgia State, but then defeated the Spartans (now 2-3) on the road and lost at the Big House 14-7 in their last game. They’ve had the week off to heal up and prep. ESPN Game Day will be in town for this big matchup. Much of the nation will be rooting for the Badgers. These 2 programs have met 80 times with the Buckeyes holding a wide 57-18-5 margin in the series. Their last meeting was 2 seasons ago at the Big 10 Championship Game which saw the Buckeyes win 59-0. A lot of people believe that blowout got OSU into the playoffs, to which they of course went on to win the national title. The Buckeyes are laying 10.5 in Cheese Head Land. Not expecting it by any means, but would love to see the Badgers pull a huge upset here.

You keep saying that UVA is better than folks think, but I don't see why. Now I agree that GA Tech at this point cannot overlook any team, starting with GA Sou this Saturday. So I accept that aspect of the admonition. However, it doesn't look to me that UVA is really much good at all. Perhaps you see them growing better each week? Perhaps you see their personnel and feel they are underperforming?

They have managed to lose to both Richmond and UConn, and get waxed by Oregon, before edging Central Michigan and beating Dook rather handily. Perhaps this shows the progression mentioned above. The only one that gives any credence to the claim that they are better than they look is the Dook game 2 weeks ago. That Dook team manhandled Army 13-6 Saturday in a hurricane. There's one excuse. However, VPI hung 34 points on UNC in the same hurricane.

Meanwhile, GA Tech's 3-3 record includes a bad loss to a top 3 Clemson team, and two "respectable" losses to a ranked Miami and a good Pitt on HC - both of which were very winnable in the 4th quarters.

Much will be learned about GA Tech this Saturday. The competition will be a good bit less than anything we've faced since Mercer. I suspect that we should win the game handily, but with this team you never know.

FSU is giving a lot of points to WFU...

Why not postpone until Saturday, are they expecting the river flooding to be that long an event? Is ECU in lowland area?

You keep saying that UVA is better than folks think, but I don't see why. Now I agree that GA Tech at this point cannot overlook any team, starting with GA Sou this Saturday. So I accept that aspect of the admonition. However, it doesn't look to me that UVA is really much good at all. Perhaps you see them growing better each week? Perhaps you see their personnel and feel they are underperforming?

They have managed to lose to both Richmond and UConn, and get waxed by Oregon, before edging Central Michigan and beating Dook rather handily. Perhaps this shows the progression mentioned above. The only one that gives any credence to the claim that they are better than they look is the Dook game 2 weeks ago. That Dook team manhandled Army 13-6 Saturday in a hurricane. There's one excuse. However, VPI hung 34 points on UNC in the same hurricane.

Meanwhile, GA Tech's 3-3 record includes a bad loss to a top 3 Clemson team, and two "respectable" losses to a ranked Miami and a good Pitt on HC - both of which were very winnable in the 4th quarters.

Much will be learned about GA Tech this Saturday. The competition will be a good bit less than anything we've faced since Mercer. I suspect that we should win the game handily, but with this team you never know.

Yes, it is more about what they've done the last 2 games. Mike London did not leave the cupboard bare by any means. His recruiting wasn't bad at all. His coaching was. They were up 10-3 heading into the 4Q in the road loss at UConn. Should've put that game away. Central Michigan is a good team. Defeated Okie State on the road in that controversial ending in Week 2. Virginia was up on them 28-0 before CMU came storming back only to see Virginia get their first win. Winning at Duke by 14 to get the 17-game road losing streak monkey off their backs is a big deal for them. Now, getting a week off to host a team who plays no defense (and is laying 3 pts on the road) makes Pitt ripe for the picking if Virginia can defend them better than Tech did this past Saturday.

I'm not sold on Mendenhall. Too early to tell one way or the other on Virginia and him though I admit. Just saying I wouldn't automatically assume Tech is going to beat them. They are a team to keep an eye on for sure. I've read statements from various places acting as if that game is a guaranteed win for us. We should win - especially at home - no question about it. But, like you said, if we bring anything less than our "A game", our margin for error is razor thin right now. Hopefully that changes by Week 12 and JT5, Burden, Gamble, et al, go out big winners on Senior Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT