ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 in the ACC (and a few others)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Fri. 7:30 (ESPN) #3 Clemson [5-0/2-0] at Boston College [3-2/0-2]
The Tigers are coming off the huge home win over the Cards which puts them in the driver's seat to head to the ACCCG (in Orlando) for the 4th time in the last 8 seasons. BC wore out Buffalo at home. In this series, Clemson is 14-9 all-time. Clemson has won the last 5 in a row and 7 of the last 8. BC won the first 3 after joining the ACC in ’04. The Tigers are laying 16.5 pts.

12:00 (ABC) Notre Dame [2-3] at NC State [3-1/1-0]
The Irish are coming off a high-scoring win vs Syracuse while the Pack had an impressive win at home over previously unbeaten, Wake Forest. This kicks off a great triple-header of ACC Football on ABC Saturday. The Pack is one of the few who can claim a series advantage on the Irish. Well, kind of. They’ve met once – in the Gator Bowl for the 2002 season and the Pack won 28-6. The Irish are a 1 pt favorite.

12:30 (ACC Network) Georgia Tech [3-2/1-2] at Pittsburgh [3-2/0-1]
A preview of this game has already been posted in another thread. Here's the link... https://georgiatech.forums.rivals.c...-toe-meets-leather-game-6-preview-pitt.13798/ The Panthers are laying 8 pts at Heinz Field.

3:30 (ABC) #25 Virginia Tech [3-1/1-0] at #17 Cheaters [4-1/2-0]
The Hokies had the week off to prep for this ACC road opener. The Holes are of course coming off a nice win at Tally where they led most of the game only to relinquish that lead in the last minute, but then storm back down the field and hit a huge 54 yd FG at the buzzer for the victory. These 2 have met 39 times and the Hokies own a 21-12-6 advantage. 5 of the 6 ties were 0-0 scores between 1896 and 1911. Since joining the ACC in ’04, the Hokies are 9-3 vs the Cheaters, including winning the first 5. The Cheaters won in Blacksburg a year ago, 30-27, in overtime. My guess is they cheated. The Cheaters are 2.5 pt favorites.

3:30 (RSN) Army [3-1] at Duke [2-3/0-2]
The Fighting Monkens had the week off to seethe over their loss they gave away in Week 4 at Buffalo. Army leads the nation in rushing yards per game. They head to New Jersey to face a Duke team who was beaten at home by Virginia. These 2 programs have met in this border war 25 times with Duke holding a slight lead, 12-10-1. Duke walloped the Black Knights at West Point a season ago, 44-3. Duke has won 8 of the last 10 going back to 1989 when Visor Boy was winning a share of the ACC title in Jersey. The Devils are laying 4 pts.

7:00 (RSN) Syracuse [2-3/0-1] at Wake Forest [4-1/1-1]
Both teams enter this game coming off double-digit losses. Coincidentally, the 2 teams they lost to are playing earlier in the day in Raleigh. The Orange are 4-1 in this series all-time and have won both games since joining the ACC. The Deacs are laying 2 pts at home.

8:00 (ABC) #23 Florida State [3-2/0-2] at #10 Miami [4-0/1-0]
Oh my, how the Noles are falling. I wonder if Jimbo's hind parts are getting warm. They likely will be if they lose again this week to move to 0-3 in the ACC. The Fighting Spray Tanners are looking good and head home for the first time against an ACC opponent this season. Miami holds a slim 31-29 margin in this in-state rivalry. The Noles have won 6 straight and 9 of the last 11. The 80’s and 2000’s belonged to the Canes. The 70’s, 90’s and this current decade has belonged to the Noles. Cyclical. The Canes are 2 pt favorites.

Virginia and Louisville are off this week.

And a few others…

3:00 (CBS Sports Network) #6 Houston [5-0/2-0] at Navy [3-1/2-0]
The Cougars are coming off a Thursday night ripping of UConn. An extra 2 days to prep for Navy's funky offense could help. Maybe not. The Mids return home after losing at Air Force. This was or is one of the few games on Houston's schedule folks thought would be a possible hiccup for them - in addition to Oklahoma & later Louisville. Houston needs to not only win at Annapolis, but they need to destroy the Mids, which these days is not easy. The 2 programs have met twice previously, both UH wins - last year the Cougs won 52-31 and in the 1980 Garden State MEG in Jersey they won 35-0. Houston is laying 18 at Annapolis.

3:30 (CBS) #9 Tennessee [5-0/2-0] at #8 Texas A&M [5-0/3-0]
Florida, Cesspool and now traveling out to College Station for the Vols. Bama is on deck in Knoxville. Tennessee keeps getting off to slow starts and eventually it is going to catch up with them. Then again, if they ever come out of the locker room hot, they could be a very good team. I have family ties for both teams here, but I'll be rooting for the Vols and my son. Third straight week I have to listen to those 2 goofballs on CBS. Ugh. This is the first meeting of these two since A&M joined the SEC. They've met twice before with the Big Orange winning both - in 2004, the Vols won the Cotton MEG 38-7 and in 1957, 3-0 in the Gator MEG. The Aggies are 6.5 pt favorites.

7:00 (ESPN) #1 Alabama [5-0/2-0] at #16 Arkansas [4-1/0-1]
This should be a good prime time game after a slew of good games throughout the Week 6 schedule. Bama is coming off a waxing of a hapless Kentucky crew while the Hogs blew out 1-AA Alcorn State. These two programs have met 26 times with Bama leading 19-7. The Tide have won 9 straight, including a 27-14 win a season ago in Tuscaloosa. Alabama is laying 13.5 on the road here.

Last edited:
David Teel: "ACC AD's meet this week...momentum building for 9-game ACC scheduling in the future?"

Link: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-acc-football-sked-vote-post.html

Tech fans should be supportive of the 9+1 model, IMO. We need the rest of the Coastal to have to face the behemoth that has now been built in Clemson more frequently. It gives the ACC more inventory for the ACC Network launching in 2019. ACC FB is on a roll right now. This would be a good move for the conference. And, though by no means a priority, it makes the SEC the only P5 conference playing 8 conference games while they schedule 2 meaningless cupcakes every season (read: eventually may look negatively for them).

I hope Stansbury doesn't just rubber stamp the thought process of Silent Bob. I hope he doesn't listen to CPJ either. He might not be here in 2019. Even if he is, we need to do what's best for the ACC as a whole. Just like Wake did when they helped lead the voting for the ACC to expand back in 2003, though it might not have necessarily been what was the best for themselves. It was best for the ACC FB.

David Teel: "ACC AD's meet this week...momentum building for 9-game ACC scheduling in the future?"

Link: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-acc-football-sked-vote-post.html

Tech fans should be supportive of the 9+1 model, IMO. We need the rest of the Coastal to have to face the behemoth that has now been built in Clemson more frequently. It gives the ACC more inventory for the ACC Network launching in 2019. ACC FB is on a roll right now. This would be a good move for the conference. And, though by no means a priority, it makes the SEC the only P5 conference playing 8 conference games while they schedule 2 meaningless cupcakes every season (read: eventually may look negatively for them).

I hope Stansbury doesn't just rubber stamp the thought process of Silent Bob. I hope he doesn't listen to CPJ either. He might not be here in 2019. Even if he is, we need to do what's best for the ACC as a whole. Just like Wake did when they helped lead the voting for the ACC to expand back in 2003, though it might not have necessarily been what was the best for themselves. It was best for the ACC FB.
I just don't see Us, Clemson , FSU, and Louisville voting for the 9-1. It's going to come down the how VT and Pitt vote.

I just don't see Us, Clemson , FSU, and Louisville voting for the 9-1. It's going to come down the how VT and Pitt vote.

You're probably right. Never thought I'd be putting my hopes to the Hokies and Panthers to do what is best for the ACC as a whole (IMO).

As FYI, Georgia Southern (3-1/2-0) travels to Arkansas State (0-4/0-0) for a Wednesday night game this week on ESPN-2 - kickoff at 8pmET - in case anybody wants to take a peak at our upcoming Week 7 opponent. And speaking of that Oct. 15th game, we should be finding out later this morning or around lunch when that game will kickoff and TV designation.

You're probably right. Never thought I'd be putting my hopes to the Hokies and Panthers to do what is best for the ACC as a whole (IMO).
I could see them and maybe others going with 9 (8) 1 (2) , I know this makes no sense so I'll try to explain what I mean.

all teams go to the 9-1 but in the years you have ND that game counts as an ACC game. ( ND still would not be eligible but the 5 teams that play them that year the game would count in the standing. ) Not sure anyone would agree.

Sports Illustrated reporting Charlie Strong will be out at Tejas at end of this season. Take it FWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT