ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 in the ACC...and some other games of note

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Friday, 8:00 ESPN: Boise State (2-1) at Virginia (1-2)
*As I warned in last week's preview, you never sleep on a Jimmy Laycock Tribe bunch. Again, it almost came back to bite the Croissants at Scott Sisson Stadium. They survived to avoid a winless season. And, here comes the Smurfs who will be without their starting QB for the first time this season. This is the type of game where the French step up at home. Boise is laying 2.5 pts. Not really a short week since they (BSU) played their last game on Friday night in Week 3. I like the Frenchies to win out right in a high scoring game as they get this one in just before rain comes in for the entire weekend here in God's Country.

12:00 ESPN-2: Ga Tech (2-1) at Duke (2-1)
*This is a HUGE division game for both teams in the ACC's only conference game of the week. This game will be played in a downpour. Not sure who that might favor, if either. If Tech can slow down or stop Duke's QB runs, it should prevail here...that is, given the Jackets can avoid turning the ball over and get the offense rolling again. Tech is laying 8.5 pts as I type this at midweek. Seems like way too many. Then again, if Tech's offense shows back up, this could be a lopsided game in Tech's favor. I sure hope so. I expect some angry Jackets out there Saturday in a half-filled stadium (mostly due to the weather...if a clear day, I think Duke would get a good crowd). Side note, for those of you who will be watching this game on TV, I'm sure you he-man woman haters will be thrilled to know the play-by-play announcer will be Beth Mowins. I'm sure the female announcer phobes' heads will explode from that news.

12:00 ESPN: LSU (2-0/2-0) at Syracuse (3-0/1-0)
*The Bengals should roll into the Carrier Dome and dominate. "Should" is a risky word with them as they are laying a whopping 24.5 pts. After patting themselves on the back quite a bit this week for their dominating win over an average-to-maybe-poor Auburn team, I imagine they will come out flat in upstate New York thinking the Orange will just lie down to them and their near 4 TD spread. It *should* (there's that word again) be a close game by halftime but the Bengals will pull away in the 4Q. LSU wins but I don't think I'd lay any money on them covering that many points - even with the Orange now having to use their 3rd string QB.

12:30 ACC Network: Indiana (3-0) at Wake Forest (2-1/0-1)
*After this game, Wake hosts FSU, travels to BC and UNC, hosts NC State and Louisville, travels to Notre Dame and Clemson, before ending with hosting Duke. In other words, this may be the Deacs last decent shot at registering a W. The game is currently off the board in Vegas because they are waiting to find out if Wake's QB, John Wolford, will play or not after being knocked out of their last game - a 17-14 win at Army. This is Indy's first road game of the season after beating up on inferior teams at home so far. A loss here and the Deacs are looking at a 2-10/0-8 type of season square in the face. Even with a win, they are still looking at a 3-9/0-8 type of season so I guess it doesn't really matter much now does it? While Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech and Louisville are playing in-state SEC rivals every year right after Turkey Day, I guess the rest of the ACC is choosing to play the Big We Can't Do Math with its P5 OOC games.

12:30 RSN: Delaware (1-2) at North Carolina (2-1)
*The Blue Hens blew a late lead last week which would have been a HUGE D1AA upset over highly ranked Villanova on Nova's home field. This is UNC's 2nd D1AA in the last 3 weeks. Really Carolina? I feel sorry for Wes Durham and James Bates as I doubt in Week 4 they ever thought THIS would be their gig to announce on TV (and in the rain to boot). Maybe Week 1 or 2, but by Week 4 you'd think they'd have some better inventory to call.

1:00 ESPN-3: Northern Illinois (2-1) at Boston College (2-1)
*BC's defense gave a valiant effort at home against FSU last Friday night. Now, their starting QB is down for the season and they host a team who took the almighty Buckeyes to the wire last week thanks to a slew of Bucks' turnovers. BC is a small 4-pt favorite. I expect this game - like their last one against FSU - to be very low scoring so I have an eye on the Over/Under as it will be tasty and tempting if it is 40 pts or more.

3:30 ABC: Virginia Tech (2-1) at East Carolina (1-2)
*The Bucs have been a bit of a thorn in the Buzzards' tail feathers over the years. This one will be in eastern NC (another one in the pouring rain). VPI&SU is laying 8 pts. They should win and cover that number, but that has been said many times before in this series.

6:00 ESPN-3: Samford (2-1) at Louisville (0-3/0-1)
*As expected the Cards gave a good fight to the Kitty Cats a week ago on Thursday night. This will be their opportunity to let out some pent up anger against a cupcake. On the horizon are roadies to NC State and FSU with an off week sandwiched in between the two. For now, enjoy the easy week...well, what *should be* an easy week that is.

7:00 ESPNews: NC State (3-0) at South Alabama (2-1)
*The Pack's September Tour of Weaklings continues. Really, NC State? The Wolfies are 17 pt favorites in Mobile.

Off this week: Clemson, FSU, Miami and Pitt

and some other games...

3:30 CBS: Tennessee (2-1) at Florida (3-0/1-0)
The Vols had Western Carolina to kick around last week as they got over their anger for giving away the W against the Sooners in Week 2. This is a critical SEC East game. The Gators are laying 1.5 at the Swamp. UT had them beat at Neyland but pissed it away late to lose by 1 pt last year, similar to their loss against Okie 2 weeks ago.

4:45 FOX: TCU (3-0) at Texas Tech (3-0)
The 3rd ranked Toads head on the road as 7 pt favorites. Upset Alert!!

7:30 SEC Network: Missouri (3-0) at Kentucky (2-1/1-1)
The 2-time defending SEC East champs who don't know what it is like to come up short in winning a division title in the SEC open their conference schedule in Bluegrass Country as 3 pt underdogs. The Cats came up short at home vs UF last week. Should be a good game.

Last edited:
Not many SEC teams travel outside the south. Glad to see LSU taking a trip. I hope Syracuse gets them on an off week.

UVa? not sure what to think of them yet.

East Carolina is not as good as some past teams, but I would not be surprised at a close game there.

Worried about BC without their QB. could be a long day for them.

Excellent previews! Worth at least 622k, or maybe that many raindrops on the Atlantic Coast.

My question is when does Petrinis run for the hills of Kentucky and leave for Ar-Kansas Dorothy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT