ADVERTISEMENT

Week 3 in the ACC...and some other games of note

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Thursday, 7:30 ESPN: #11 Clemson (2-0) at Louisville (0-2)
*Like Ga Tech, the Tigers now finally get a legit game that should test what they are made of. UofL has played two tough opponents and have failed by close margins in each. This is a make-or-break kind of game for the Cards as their next 3 games after this one are hosting Samford and then traveling to NC State and FSU. A loss here has the Cards facing a 1-5 start to the season right in their face. Clemson OTOH has a chance to set the tone for the rest of the Atlantic Division that they are indeed the favorite as most have projected them. Traveling on the road on short rest against a team who has its backs in the corner…upset alert! It’s “great” to see the ACC & ESPN put one of its better inventory games on Thursday night to compete with the Broncos & Chiefs on CBS prime time TV. (eyes rolling) The Orangenecks are 6 pt favorites.

Friday, 8:00 ESPN: #9 Florida State (2-0) at Boston College (2-0)
*The Eagles are 2-0, but 0-0 against D1A competition. I like HC Addazio and I am confident he will have his guys ready and the stadium will be jacked up for this Friday night affair. FSU RB Dalvin Cook had a massive day (266 yds, 3 TD) in their 20 pt win over USF this past Saturday afternoon. Should be a great game that is tight in the 4Q. FSU is currently 7.5 pt favorites.

12:00 CSB Sports Network: Wake Forest (1-1/0-1) at Army (0-2)
*Former Yellow Jacket assistant and Ga Southern HC, Jeff Monken, is off to a bad start in his 2nd year at West Point. Well, perhaps “bad” isn’t the right adjective. “Frustrating” is probably better. They’ve lost 2 games by a total of 7 pts (37-35 to Fordham and 22-17 to UConn). The Deacs lost their pivotal game at Syracuse and this roadie by the Hudson is likely one of the very few remaining win opportunities remaining on the schedule. Wake is a 5.5 pt favorite…I’m not really sure why.

12:00 ESPN-2: Illinois (2-0) at North Carolina (1-1)
*Not sure what to make of either of these teams. The Tar Holes are 10 pt favorites. The Illini has wiped out Kent State and Western Illinois – both at home – to the tune of a collective 96-3 score. I think UNC will score on them quite a bit though at Kenan Stadium.

12:30 ACC Network: #23 Northwestern (2-0) at Duke (2-0)
*The Wildcats are ranked #23 this week. Yet, they are currently 3.5 pt dogs in this game. Give Duke the home field 3 pts and the books essentially think these 2 teams are level. Duke had a sellout for their home opener this past Saturday night which is great to see. If the Devils can win this game, it sets up a huge game at home to open the ACC against the Jackets in Week 4. Well, that game will be big no matter what in truth. This will be a good game for many to watch as a lead-in to the Tech-ND game. Hopefully, this game ends by 3:30 so those ACC Network affiliates who are NBC networks will get to the GT-ND game on time (by 3:30 kickoff).

12:30 RSN: Central Michigan (1-1) at Syracuse (2-0/1-0)
*The Orange have a great shot here as 6.5 pt favorites at home to open the season 3-0 and only need to register 3 more wins to get to eligibility for a meaningless exhibition game some place in late December. In truth, like Wake, this really is one of the few remaining win opportunities IMO for them. As they are “only” giving 6 pts by the linesmakers to a mid-level mid-major at home, it says a lot about where Cuse is right now.

3:30 NBC: #14 Georgia Tech (2-0) at #8 Notre Dame (2-0)
*Like Clemson, this will be a game where everybody gets to see what Tech is (or is not). For some of the Jackets players, this is a great opportunity as well to raise their draft and NFL prospectus stocks. ND is loaded with guys who are already projected very high in next spring’s NFL draft. And, for instance, if guys like Gotsis and Hunt can make some big plays on this biggest of stages against highly rated O-Line prospects of the Irish, they will turn some heads potentially. Tech is a 2.5 pt early favorite.

3:30 ABC or ESPN-2: Nebraska (1-1) at Miami (2-0)
*The Canes are off to a lightning start. OK, that was not funny. Both of the Canes games so far have featured weather delays for lightning/weather. Pretty typical for South Florida this time of year especially though I guess. Miami has an open date in Week 4 so getting the big W here would be a nice September for a change for the Canes. Miami is 3 pt favorites.

3:30 ESPN-3: William & Mary (1-0) at Virginia (0-2)
*One of my favorite signatures on a message board is a guy at the JMU board whose says WTTE of “JMU can do what UVA can’t…beat William & Mary and Virginia Tech”. LOL! Bill & His Old Lady had last week off to freshen up and prep for the French. This has letdown written all over it. From the high of a sold out packed house against ND and the crushing blow at the end to lose to less hype and an always-dangerous Jimmy Laycock led Tribe bunch coming into town (and with Boise State on Friday night looming). Suit up and get ready, French! Overlook the Tribe and you’ll be 0-3 and your orange faces will be red. Having given the fair warning, Virginia is a dangerous team – especially at home (notice to GT fans and the rest of the Coastal).

3:30 ESPN-U: Virginia Tech (1-1) at Purdue (1-1)
*This is a pretty important game for the Hokies if they want to keep their nation-leading streak of appearances in postseason meaningless exhibition games going. With road games left at GT, at BC (who they’ve lost to the last 2 years), at Miami, and at dangerous Scott Sisson Stadium, they have little room for error. Losing at West Lafayette would be an error, but won’t shock me at all if it happens. The Hokies are currently 6.5 pt favorites….mostly, I guess, because Purdue stinks. If Purdue wins, I wonder what that means for the smell in the cow pastures of southwest Virginy.

7:00 American Sports Network: NC State (2-0) at Old Dominion (2-0)
*Watch out, Wolfpack! This won’t be a cake walk by any means. ODU will be jacked up hosting an ACC team. Don’t be surprised if you look at the scrolling score along the bottom of the screen Saturday night and see a very close game going on. NCSU is 18 pt favorites, which seems pretty high to me. Pack likely wins, but it won’t be easy.

8:00 Big 10 Network: Pitt (2-0) at Iowa (2-0)
*Iowa is coming off a nice 14 pt win at their in-state rival this past Saturday. You’d like to think Pitt HC Narduzzi knows a thing or two about Iowa’s personnel, though Michigan State is in a different division than Iowa. MSU and Iowa played each other every season between 2007 and 2013. Pitt has an open date in Week 4 looming before kicking off ACC play in Blacksburg in Week 5. They can throw the kitchen sink at Iowa in a game most figure they lose. Iowa is a 5.5 pt favorite. Should be a good game to watch.

Some other games of note…

3:30 CBS: #18 Auburn (2-0) at #13 LSU (1-0/1-0)
*Auburn taken to OT by Jax State? Whoa! Jax State of course last week announced they will be trekking to Grant Field in 2017. The Bengals squeaked out a W in Starkville, but get the Tigers in their home opener (season opener was cancelled due to weather). LSU is a 7.5 pt favorite. While Auburn’s embarrassing game this past Saturday likely will make a lot of bettors think LSU will drill them, buyer beware! Historically, LSU has been horrible favorites by more than a TD – especially at home. If Auburn survives the first half, they have a chance here.

6:00 ESPN: South Carolina (1-1/0-1) at #7 Georgia (2-0/1-0)
*This SEC early season border war has seen Visor Boy’s guys knock off his hated rival 4 of the last 5 years. But, this year the Cesspool is favored by a whopping 17 pts. WOW! This game used to be a lock for playing under the Vegas total, but 3 of the last 4 and 4 of the last 6 games in the series have been shootouts. USCe very easily could and probably should be 0-2. UNC’s inability to convert late in the game inside the 10 yd line gave the Cockadoodledoos the game and UK finally won an SEC road game in Columbia this past Saturday night. The Cesspool didn’t look all that stealthy in Nashville. But, the game is ‘Tween the Privets and that likely will be the difference…though, not sure as much as the experts think.

9:15 ESPN: #15 Ole Miss (2-0) at #2 Alabama (2-0)
*Bama is a 6 pt favorite in their revenge match. Bama had won 10 straight over the Rebs before last year’s loss in Oxford. I figure Bama has a big ol’ can of whoop ice in store for this one. But, Ole Miss has some very good players. May figure to be a close game heading into the 4Q.

Last edited:
like the breakdowns. I am surprised at Louisville so far, I thought they'd win the first two.

You are right Va Tech needs this win.

South Carolina better get after the RB's I'd force the QB to beat me. If he does it, so be it. No reason to let Chubb run for 150 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT