ADVERTISEMENT

Volleybees Weekend: Heading to the Beach Sep. 16-17

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Well, not beach volleyball, though Coastal Carolina is building a program for that. The VB's head over to CCU near Myrtle Beach for 3 matches this weekend.

Friday, our gals take on North Florida (8-4) at 11am. UNF was picked to finish in the middle of the pack (5th) in the A-Sun preseason.

Then, Tech will face a very good CCU team twice - 7pm Friday and 5pm Saturday. The Saturday match will be streamed live for those who have All-Access subscription. I will try to post links to Gametracker via reply for the matches near start time.

CCU is 7-2 on the season and coming off a terrific 2015 season which saw them go 25-5, win the Big South, and then lose to Creighton in the first round of the NCAAT. They defeated the Volleybees at O'Keefe last season in a tight 3-2 match. Tech won the first set, CCU won sets 2 and 3, Tech fought back to take set 4, and then CCU won the deciding 5th set, 15-9.

CCU's 2 losses this year have been to Michigan, who also defeated Tech, and Purdue. Both Big 10 clubs are ranked in the top 25 this week with Purdue at #14.

If the Jackets can get 2 wins at CCU this weekend, that will be a fantastic trip and a terrific pre-ACC performance IMO as the competition has been very good. Hopefully, this strong OOC schedule will help prep the Volleybees for the ACC schedule on the horizon starting next week with a road trip to Pitt (#34 in the nation) and Va Tech.

FWIW, I had us projected with a 6-6 record heading into the ACC schedule. We are already beating that at 7-2. So, at least for me, we are ahead of "schedule" in terms of where I think we'll finish up. I predicted a tough OOC record, but improving in the ACC with a final record of 20-12/14-6. If we can get 2 wins this weekend and the ACC record holds as I've forecasted, that final record looks more like 23-9/14-6, which will not make us a bubble team for the NCAAT, but instead serve as a lock for the NCAAT. First things first though...hoping the VB's can get 2 wins this weekend. That would assure we get at least 1 over CCU if that happens and that will look good on the resume' for the selection committee.

GO VOLLEYBEES!

Last edited:
Jackets take the first 2 sets, but in a battle in Set #3. Finish 'em off and save those legs for tonight, Jackets!!

Volleybees sweep 3-0. Move to 8-2 on the early season. Now two toughies against host, CCU.

Much better execution in the 2nd set by the Jackets.

Volleybees take Set #2... 25-21.

Watching via All-Access if you have it.

CCU takes control early and wins Set #3... 25-18.

Heading to Set #4 with CCU up 2-1.

GRRRRRREAAAAT job by the Volleybees to tie this thing up.

Tech takes Set #4... 25-22.

Heading to the final Set #5. Let's go Volleybees!!

This would be huge if the Jackets could get out of town with a W over a likely NCAAT team in CCU on their home court.

HUUUUUGE win for the Volleybees. Great comeback. Down 2-1, the VB's win Set #4 and then take the final deciding set, 15-12.

If we are on the NCAAT bubble, that is a quality win on the road that should help us tremendously.

Well done, Volleybees!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT