ADVERTISEMENT

Volleybees Weekend: ACC Home Opening Weekend... Oct. 1-3

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The Volleybees (10-4/1-1) open the home portion of their ACC schedule this weekend. Tech is coming off a 1-1 road trip that saw a loss at Pitt, who is sitting at the top of the ACC at 12-3/3-0 at the moment, followed by a win at Virginia Tech.

Friday, 7pm, vs Cheaters, ACC Network Extra live streaming
The Cheaters (10-2/2-0) are the ACC preseason favorites - along with the Noles. They are ranked #10 in the nation in this week's AVCA poll. This will obviously be a tough match for the Volleybees. The Cheaters are very talented along the front line with great blockers. Last year, the Cheaters defeated the VB's 3-1 at O'Keefe in the only meeting between the 2 teams. This year, Tech returns a trip to Cheaterville late in the season (Nov 12).

The Cheaters lead the all-time series, 35-25. Of course, that includes the fact that they won 16 of the first 17 matches going back to the beginning in the early 80's and continued through that decade and into the early 90's. Tech turned the tide however in 1993, breaking a 14-match losing streak. From that win, the Volleybees went on to win 7 in a row and 10 of the next 11. This was followed by a turn back to the Cheaters who won 5 straight and 8 of the next 10 between '98 and '02. Then, the momentum returned to Tech between '03 and '10 seeing the Jackets go 11-3. Since '11 though it has been all Cheaters as they've won 7 of the last 8, including the last 3.

Sunday, 1pm, vs NC State, ACC Network Extra live streaming
The Pack (8-6/1-1) heads into O'Keefe off a tight ACC opening loss at the Cheaters that went to the final 5th set before defeating Syracuse 3-0 at home. NCSU will play at Clemson on Friday night. Tech has dominated this series sitting at a 40-18 advantage...and that is after the Pack opened with wins in the first 10 matches back when the Jackets entered the ACC. So, Tech has won 40 of the last 48 meetings. Having said all that, the Pack has the latest momentum. NCSU is 6-3 since 2010. Tech won a season ago in the only meeting (at O'Keefe). Tech has won 3 straight at home and the last Pack win at O'Keefe came in 2011. Since 1992, Tech is 21-2 vs NCSU at O'Keefe. Here's hoping this Tech team gets it done again.

No question this Cheaters team is very good. If the Volleybees can go 1-1 this weekend, that is OK. Need to avoid the upset by the Pack on Sunday. After this weekend, Tech will have a roadie at Pitt out of the way and 1 of 2 matches against the Cheaters out of the way. Looking at the schedule, after this weekend there is no question that the next 5 matches provide outstanding opportunities for the Volleybees to win as we will be favored in each of them.

Cheaters take Set #1... 25-19

The Cheaters' blocking is just incredible.

Cheaters take Set #2... 28-26... with some help from absolutely horrible officiating. Just amazingly bad.

Frustrating. :mad:

Cheaters up 2-0.

I've never seen officiating so consistently poor. CMC is about to lose it. And, I don't blame her.

This is just embarrassing for all VB officiating. Awful. Just awful.

And, the Cheaters take Set #3... 25-23. Frustrating loss for the Volleybees tonight. But, very proud of the effort. First set belonged to the Cheaters. 2nd and 3rd sets could have gone either way. Had 2 opponents tonight. I like what I saw from the Volleybees.

Now, we need a W on Sunday over the Pack and this team could get on a nice winning streak over the next month. I have the VeeBee's going 8-1 in October.

Reactions: kjmc15
Volleybees sweep the Pack, 3-0. Moves to 11-5/2-2 on the season.

Next up: at Clemson, Wednesday at 7pm, game televised via RSN and streamed live via ACC Network Extra

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT