ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a change at the top of GT Baseball

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
I am appreciative of Danny Hall. He's done a lot for Tech Baseball. He's a class guy who has run a clean program who has achieved a lot of success. He inherited a solid program and took it to new levels nationally.

Of course there is a "but". The program has dropped significantly over the past 5 years. He's been bailed out with a couple of hot ACC Tournament titles to which we Tech fans appreciate, but (there it is) it has masked the real complexion of what's been going on. Fan interest is as low as it has been in a very long time.

He recruits well. I think any reasonably intelligent head coach at Georgia Tech should with the bevy of talent in the Atlanta area alone - not to mention the broader state of Georgia. Recruiting well and underachieving year after year reminds one of (cough) a certain (cough) football program which also resides in the state of Georgia (cough). But, I digress.

I wonder aloud as I watch programs like Virginia and Maryland far surpass Georgia Tech nowadays play in yet another Super Regional, I think how the Maryland Head Coach would do with a so-called hotbed of talent right in his backyard. Or, how the Virginia pitching coach might do as a head coach at Georgia Tech.

While I'm wondering aloud, I wonder just how great all this so-called talent from the Cobb County area really is. It's very good. No question about it. But, not sure it is as great as is advertised. At least, if Georgia Tech's so-called pipeline is some kind of indicator. The bottom line is it is very confusing. How can a so-called pipeline of talent nearby with a program which has all of the advantages in the world continue to struggle and be bypassed by programs like Virginia and Maryland which pull kids from New Jersey?

I've been a Georgia Tech Baseball fan from the time I was a junior in high school and then when entering Tech as a freshman in 1983. I've never felt as low and disgusted with the direction and current state of the program as I do right now.

Does Danny Hall deserve another year? No. Will he get it? Of course. Should he be fired with another crap season in 2016? Of course. Will he? I have no faith in Georgia Tech's Athletics Director to do anything for the better of Georgia Tech. So, we are left with watching the rest of the nation enjoy yet another year a time of year which we should be very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT