ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Week 4 TV and kickoff for Duke

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
We know the times and TV for the first 3 weeks of the season. When looking at Week 4, I have to believe the game at Wallace Wade Stadium may warrant a good time and TV slot.

Notes...

1. GT-Duke is the only ACC conference game in Week 4.
2. Clemson, FSU, Miami and Pitt are all off in Week 4. There's 3 of the most marquee TV brands in the ACC who won't be playing.
3. Duke and GT represent the last 3 Coastal reps in the ACC Championship Game.
4. Duke opens at Tulane, NC Central at home, and Northwestern at home. When the 12-day advance decision occurs on Sep. 14, there may be an assumption that Duke will be 3-0 when hosting Tech with their game vs Northwestern pending as well as Tech's game at Notre Dame pending on the 19th. I doubt ESPN will use one of the 6-day announcement options on such a relatively weak set of offerings in Week 4 and will save those options for later in the season.
5. Boise State plays at Virginia on Friday night (8pmET, ESPN) in Week 4.
6. There are 2 other Week 4 games involving ACC teams which are decent... LSU at Syracuse and Va Tech at East Carolina.
7. The rest of the ACC includes Northern Illinois at BC, Samford at Louisville, NC State at South Alabama, Indiana at Wake Forest, and Delaware at North Carolina.
8. Other big games nationally in Week 4 include... BYU at Michigan, Maryland at West Va, Mississippi State at Auburn (likely CBS game of the week), Oklahoma State at Texas, TCU at Texas Tech, Tennessee at Florida, Texas A&M at Arkansas, Central Florida at South Carolina (likely SEC Network), UCLA at Arizona, Southern Cal at Arizona State, and Utah at Oregon.

Hopefully, the Jackets enter this game 3-0 and coming off a big win at South Bend. I figure Paul Johnson and the guys have some serious revenge on their minds after losing to Duke at home last year. While Tech's 3 losses last year were by a combined 13 pts, there is no question the loss to the Blue Devils was our worst performance all season as we were down 31-12 midway through the 4Q before 2 late scores made the final margin look better than the game really was for Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT