ADVERTISEMENT

This week an important vote takes place on early signing period for FB

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Story... http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...-need-know-vote-proposed-early-signing-period

I think it benefits Tech for this to pass as well as ultimately the broader stage of D1A CFB.

A December signing period would allow long-committed -- or recently pledged players who are decisive in their college choices -- to simply get it over with seven weeks earlier than under the current system. Because of the pressure-filled nature of recruiting and constant threat of decommitments, college coaches spend as much time in January catering to their committed recruits as they do working on undecided prospects.

And an early signing period would end some, if not most, of that.

For instance, Syracuse coach Scott Shafer said his program lost recruits last year to Notre Dame, Clemson and Florida State. If an early signing period existed, he said, the Orange and others would be rewarded for their work in identifying prospects. Instead, a cesspool often forms after the season, involving, among other perils, the rise in power of third parties who seek to benefit at the expense of players.

"Anything we can do to help get the runners out of the deal" would benefit the game, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said.

"I don't really see any cons," Johnson said. "I think it's all pros."

I don't think we'd see schools like Syracuse losing commitments. I just think those players would not "commit" as soon as they do.

Also, I am not surprised that the SEC and B1G are against the proposal and were able to get the trial tabled for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT