ADVERTISEMENT

Tech's 1955 schedule if played today

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Of course, some of these powerhouses known today weren't anywhere near that back then. But, just for giggles during the quiet offseason, let's take a look...

1955 Tech FB Schedule
MIAMI
at Florida
SMU
at LSU
AUBURN
FLORIDA STATE
DUKE
at Tennessee
at Alabama
GEORGIA

Tech defeated Pitt in the Sugar Bowl to finish the season 9-1-1 and ranked 7th in the nation. The lone loss was to Auburn, 14-12, and the tie was at Tennessee, 7-7.

Of course, some of these powerhouses known today weren't anywhere near that back then. But, just for giggles during the quiet offseason, let's take a look...

1955 Tech FB Schedule
MIAMI
at Florida
SMU
at LSU
AUBURN
FLORIDA STATE
DUKE
at Tennessee
at Alabama
GEORGIA

Tech defeated Pitt in the Sugar Bowl to finish the season 9-1-1 and ranked 7th in the nation. The lone loss was to Auburn, 14-12, and the tie was at Tennessee, 7-7.
GTJ, I think people have no idea what an unbelievable coach and person Coach Dodd was. To me he is truly the most underrated coach (for many reasons) in the history of CFB. As someone who was a kid in Atlanta in the 60s, he was, and is, my hero. People really should take the time to learn about what he did, and how he did it!

Reactions: Jacket Up
donsue, no question about it. I was born in '65 so my very early days were when Coach Dodd was ending his wonderful career as HC at Tech. I became a die hard Jacket fan in '72 (yes, as a 7 year old as I was forced to make "the decision" as many young southern boys have to). It's been a great ride through these years and I'm so glad I chose Tech instead of scum. One of my greatest thrills in life (prior to being admitted to Tech and eventually earning a BS and MS) was as a teenager meeting both Coach Dodd and Al Ciraldo within 10 minutes of one another at the team hotel the night before Tech played in Neyland Stadium back in 1981.

Reading Dodd's Luck should be a requirement for every Tech fan - especially the younger generation. For that matter, every CFB fan should. My son is a proud UT alum and still a diehard Yellow Jacket for life (my wife and I brainwashed both of our kids well). A favorite moment when interacting with UT people given the opportunities over the years when they find out I'm a Tech alum is the discussion that always migrates to a mutual love of and for Coach Dodd. At least with the older generation who remember him as a Vols legend and appreciate what he did at Tech.

My son and I are really looking forward to the 2017 opener between UT and Tech. I'm hopeful both schools get together and do some kind of tribute to Coach Dodd as he means so much to both institutions.

donsue, no question about it. I was born in '65 so my very early days were when Coach Dodd was ending his wonderful career as HC at Tech. I became a die hard Jacket fan in '72 (yes, as a 7 year old as I was forced to make "the decision" as many young southern boys have to). It's been a great ride through these years and I'm so glad I chose Tech instead of scum. One of my greatest thrills in life (prior to being admitted to Tech and eventually earning a BS and MS) was as a teenager meeting both Coach Dodd and Al Ciraldo within 10 minutes of one another at the team hotel the night before Tech played in Neyland Stadium back in 1981.

Reading Dodd's Luck should be a requirement for every Tech fan - especially the younger generation. For that matter, every CFB fan should. My son is a proud UT alum and still a diehard Yellow Jacket for life (my wife and I brainwashed both of our kids well). A favorite moment when interacting with UT people given the opportunities over the years when they find out I'm a Tech alum is the discussion that always migrates to a mutual love of and for Coach Dodd. At least with the older generation who remember him as a Vols legend and appreciate what he did at Tech.

My son and I are really looking forward to the 2017 opener between UT and Tech. I'm hopeful both schools get together and do some kind of tribute to Coach Dodd as he means so much to both institutions.
Absolutely GTJ! I consider the 1962 Tech 7-6 win over Bama to literally be the best day in college football. Too bad I was only 4 at the time. In a world that is getting more screwed up by the day, Dodd's program stood for the very best of what sports should be, and at the same time, being a winner!

I live in Tallahassee now, but I am actually writing about the old days in Atlanta, and Dodd and GT have a big role in it. E mail me if you will, I would love to share some of the old stories: doncutchins@yahoo.com

GTJ, I think people have no idea what an unbelievable coach and person Coach Dodd was. To me he is truly the most underrated coach (for many reasons) in the history of CFB. As someone who was a kid in Atlanta in the 60s, he was, and is, my hero. People really should take the time to learn about what he did, and how he did it!

There`s a video around made around 1970 of Coach Dodd speaking at a luncheon for some group. I last saw it this past spring. Now this is 45 years later, and he spoke about the most important things in winning. There were (still are) THREE fundamentals he ALWAYS stressed: The kicking game, penalties, and turnovers were the third. The reason, he said, was that those three things could kill an advance (field position) quicker and with virtually no effort by the opposition - in other words, they were GIFTS.

I was listening to 680 this afternoon, and they were talking about coaching personalities and their different press conferences and their relationship with their players. Belitnikoff was the absolute worst, but they loved Pete Carroll - so full of life and humor. Carroll has always been a favorite of mine too.

Then I remembered reading something about Pete ALMOST winning two Super Bowls in a row. And when I started this post, it occurred to me how fantastic Coach Dodd`s theories were - still. Because Pete almost won the Super Bowl, but lost it by an interception. And Bill Belitnikoff , of all people won it.

Different leadership styles can create similar successful results. Coach Dodd was a leader in a different time and space. Since his departure as HC the most successful HC's at Tech have resembled the style of Bill Belichick far more than Pete Carroll or Bobby Dodd. Ross, O'Leary and Johnson are far from what would be labeled as a "player's coach". I think that fits today's GT far more and will ultimately be more successful in the long run. Gailey, Lewis, Curry and Pepper were all considered "nice guys" who players liked. The media liked them too. They didn't win enough for the fans.

By the way, a misnomer is that tough coaches don't care for their players. They do.

Different leadership styles can create similar successful results. Coach Dodd was a leader in a different time and space. Since his departure as HC the most successful HC's at Tech have resembled the style of Bill Belichick far more than Pete Carroll or Bobby Dodd. Ross, O'Leary and Johnson are far from what would be labeled as a "player's coach". I think that fits today's GT far more and will ultimately be more successful in the long run. Gailey, Lewis, Curry and Pepper were all considered "nice guys" who players liked. The media liked them too. They didn't win enough for the fans.

By the way, a misnomer is that tough coaches don't care for their players. They do.
I agree with that assessment for the most part. Coaches are coaching a different kind of kid today too. But, the biggest misnomer was that Dodd wasn't tough. Nothing could be further from the truth. He didn't beat the hell out of his kids in practice, but he was very demanding about his rules, and the consequences were unbending. (He got the name "The Big Whistle" for a reason.) One of the best examples was the 1066 Texas A & M game. Gene Stallings, the A & M coach publically went on record as saying Dodd's teams were "soft" during the summer before the game. That may be the only time Dodd stuck it up someone's a$$ in a 38-3 win. In the last minute with a 31-3 lead, Dodd kicked onsides, then threw a bomb for a TD on the last play of the game.

BTW, I still don't care much for Paul Johnson. I think his style will produce more 6-6 records than last year's success. Was kinda hoping he would bomb, and Tech could get a different coach, but it looks like he is there for a while.

I think this is particularly a big year for Johnson. He has won ACC Coach of the Year 3 times in his first 7 years at Tech. If Tech comes up big - as could happen - this fall, he has a chance to win that award in 4 of his 8 seasons as CEO of Tech FB (read: half!). 2 of his 3 awards came during seasons ('08 and '14) where the expectations were very low. It will be interesting to see how he guides the ship during a season where we enter it with high expectations along with perhaps the most difficult regular season schedule since he arrived at the NATS.

I am a fan of Paul Johnson. Then again, though I didn't agree with the hire at the time, I rooted for Bill Lewis as well - at least until it was obvious midway in '94 that he wasn't going to get it done. The one glaring mistake made by Dr. Rice as AD looking back was hiring Lewis instead of promoting Fridge to HC from within when Ross left. O'Leary was emphatic stating he would have stayed at Tech as D-Coord under Fridge instead of following Ross to San Diego if Fridge had been named HC. Oh well, what's done is done on that front. But, it *did* set Tech FB back at least 5 years in my opinion and unfortunately killed any momentum that Ross and the national title in 1990 had created around Tech FB.

If Lewis had succeeded, then Tech succeeds which makes me a happy guy. Same for Johnson. Same for Pepper and Curry. Same for Brian Gregory (who I'm not a huge fan of). Same for Danny Hall (who I'm no longer a huge fan of). Etc.

I agree with that assessment for the most part. Coaches are coaching a different kind of kid today too. But, the biggest misnomer was that Dodd wasn't tough. Nothing could be further from the truth. He didn't beat the hell out of his kids in practice, but he was very demanding about his rules, and the consequences were unbending. (He got the name "The Big Whistle" for a reason.) One of the best examples was the 1066 Texas A & M game. Gene Stallings, the A & M coach publically went on record as saying Dodd's teams were "soft" during the summer before the game. That may be the only time Dodd stuck it up someone's a$$ in a 38-3 win. In the last minute with a 31-3 lead, Dodd kicked onsides, then threw a bomb for a TD on the last play of the game.

BTW, I still don't care much for Paul Johnson. I think his style will produce more 6-6 records than last year's success. Was kinda hoping he would bomb, and Tech could get a different coach, but it looks like he is there for a while.

donsue- I see you`ve been on the Rivals board since `06, but have just come out of the closet, so to speak, with your dislike of Paul Johnson. You have had a lot of company off the Johnson Band wagon until last season, and you will have a miserable season this year as well.

I, personally, have had lots of fun shooting down a lot of the negative nellies, and thought they were virtually put to rest - not because of me, certainly, but because of probably the best coach since Dodd, and one who looks like he could even out-do him. All I can say is, "Do yourself ( and others) a favor and get on the right side of this guy. Otherwise you`re gonna make yourself very uncomfortable".

donsue- I see you`ve been on the Rivals board since `06, but have just come out of the closet, so to speak, with your dislike of Paul Johnson. You have had a lot of company off the Johnson Band wagon until last season, and you will have a miserable season this year as well.

I, personally, have had lots of fun shooting down a lot of the negative nellies, and thought they were virtually put to rest - not because of me, certainly, but because of probably the best coach since Dodd, and one who looks like he could even out-do him. All I can say is, "Do yourself ( and others) a favor and get on the right side of this guy. Otherwise you`re gonna make yourself very uncomfortable".
Whoa Nellie! You and I just disagree a little here on this topic. Don't make it personal. You may be right, and I hope for Tech's sake you are. My point is, yes, when he gets a QB who can throw a little, and a defense that slows people down, he can have success. He could have easily lost 4-5 games last year as well as won 10.
His system does give some people fits, but I can't see people making a consistent living recruiting 3 star players over the long haul. I think GT can play a different style and be competitive. Just my opinion. BTW, I truly enjoyed rehashing the old days, and I didn't reply to your thread as a way to come out against PJ.

Seasons that end in "5" for Tech FB...

1915 (100 years ago!): 6-1-1
Lost to LSU in NOLA. Tied the Cesspool 0-0. Defeated UNC, Alabama and Auburn.

1925: 6-2-1 (4-1-1 in Southern Conference)
6th season under Bill Alexander. Lost to Bama and Notre Dame. Tied Auburn 7-7. Defeated the Cesspool (3-0), Florida and Penn State.

1935: 5-5 (3-4 in SEC)
Alexander's 16th year as HC and Tech's 3rd in the newly formed SEC. Losses to Kentucky, UNC, Vandy, Auburn and Alabama. Defeated Duke, Florida and the Cesspool.

1945: 4-6 (2-2 in SEC)
Dodd's first year as HC. Lost to Notre Dame, Duke, Navy, LSU, Clemson and Cesspool. Wins over UNC and Auburn.

1955: 9-1-1 (4-1-1 in SEC)
As outlined in the original post in this thread, Sugar Bowl champs.

1965: 7-3-1 (3rd year as an independent)
Won the Gator Bowl over Texas Tech. Losses to Texas A&M, Tennessee and Cesspool. Tied Vanderbilt to open the season. Wins over Clemson, Auburn, Duke, Navy and Virginia.

1975: 7-4 (still an independent)
A 7-4 record today would easily have Tech in one of these goofy bowl games in late December. But not back in 1975. Tech defeated Miami, Clemson, and FSU. Lost to South Carolina, Auburn, Notre Dame and the Cesspool.

1985: 9-2-1 (5-1 in ACC)
Curry's best team. Best defense in modern era of Tech FB. The Black Watch! Won the All-American Bowl (note, Tech's ONLY bowl appearance in the decade of the 80's) Gary Lee in the fog. Ahhhh the memories!

1995: 6-5 (5-3 in ACC)
O'Leary's first year as permanent HC. Lost a heart breaker at #15 Arizona in game 2 (19-20) that may have been the difference in obtaining a bowl bid or not.

2005: 7-5 (5-3 in ACC)
Gailey's 4th year as HC. Opened with a dominating win at Auburn. Spent much of the season in the top 25. Lost to Utah badly in the mud in San Francisco to end the season.

2015?
It will be Paul Johnson's 8th season as HC. That's the longest tenure as HC since Dodd retired. Curry and O'Leary were each HC for 7 seasons.

Looking at the schedule brings up a side thought.

going back to ten games isn't going to happen. But I'd love to see it. I think we'd be able to get a better playoff system if the regular season was shorter

1955 Tech FB Schedule
MIAMI
at Florida
SMU
at LSU
AUBURN
FLORIDA STATE
DUKE
at Tennessee
at Alabama
GEORGIA

The FSU game was my first visit to Grant Field. Sat on the last row in the old South Stands Horseshoe and watched Tech win 34-0. Great day for an eleven year old.

Looking at the schedule brings up a side thought.

going back to ten games isn't going to happen. But I'd love to see it. I think we'd be able to get a better playoff system if the regular season was shorter
Truthfully, I miss the the days when teams played their local rivals. The conference thing has gotten so ridiculous with Syracuse and BC in the ACC, and Mizzou and A & M in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT