ADVERTISEMENT

So what was the best recruiting class for GOL?

stinger78

Mar 19, 2016
I noticed that we had that great 2007 class and this next year's class of 2017 is shaping up to be another very good class. Boss Ross' 1987 class was a pretty good one, too, IIRC. Seems we got this thing going about every 10 years or so.

What was GOL's best class, in your opinion?

It probably was the year he came back from the SD Chargers, in that next off-season. I sat next to him at a Hoops game in Alexander. He had three JUCO's from Nassau with him and they left at halftime to go to a nice restaurant. Al Jackson, Kamal Balogun and Jerome Miles.

Seems like Joe Ham. was in that class? It was what led to those good teams in the late '90's!

The numerologist in me says blindly without any research that it had to be 1997.

Having said that, what I really like is what has happened about 2-3 years after those classes. Just hope CPJ and staff can string together strong incoming classes.

Looking good on the legacy front. Cooksey last year. Now a Roof and one Swilling, maybe a 2nd Swilling (fingers crossed). Great to see they were raised correctly and brain washed properly. Well done.

Now, let's go get some DL's please.

It probably was the year he came back from the SD Chargers, in that next off-season. I sat next to him at a Hoops game in Alexander. He had three JUCO's from Nassau with him and they left at halftime to go to a nice restaurant. Al Jackson, Kamal Balogun and Jerome Miles.

Seems like Joe Ham. was in that class? It was what led to those good teams in the late '90's!

That would be '95.

Joe Ham, I think, was in the '96 class, can't remember if he redshirted, but don't think he did. I was in SC at the time, and remember a big USCe fan telling me that he had signed with us, but I hadn't followed the story. He said at the time that he was a fabulous QB and that we would really enjoy watching him. It was kind of similar to the Justin Thomas story: being recruited by a bunch of big teams, and all the teams wanted him as a DB, but he wanted to play QB.

The USCe fan, IIRC, said Nebraska had recruited him at QB, but he wanted closer to home, so he turned them down. Then he changed his mind and decommitted from where he was (USCe?), but Nebraska didn't need a QB any more. (They also recruited Eric Crouch the next year.) So Joe was without a team and it was close to signing day. He ended up at Tech. Great choice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT