ADVERTISEMENT

Question about top 25 ( Not GT )

stech81

Sep 15, 2015
I'm not a Tennessee fan don't dislike them but I know GTJT likes them and his son.
Tennessee played Alabama I know they lost but Alabama was number 1 . I just felt the Tennessee downed too much in the polls. Wisconsin is 4-2 at 10, FSU is 5-2 and had a bad loss, Oklahoma is 4-2 , and Arkansas is also 5-2 and all are ahead of Tennessee. I don't have a dog in this fight but to drop 9 spots is a little too much.

Maybe we can vote and have our own top 25 ( Although no matter what I would not put uga in at any time )

Vols looked awful against Bama. They were lucky to beat a mediocre Cesspool team. They have played to the level of their competition against Appalachian State and Ohio - both at home. They've blown out one opponent this year - oddly, it was the Hokies in Bristol...thanks mostly to the Hokies being far too kind giving the Vols more turnovers than most people have fingers on a hand.

So, UT can't really complain IMO. Having said that, their schedule eases up considerably the rest of the way. Though the Vols have that terrible habit of playing to the level of their competition, so you never know, this remaining schedule... at South Carolina, Tenn Tech, Kentucky, Mizzou, at Vandy... should (and I stress "SHOULD") have them at 10-2/6-2 just after Turkey Day. They only need some help from the Cesspool (unlikely), at Arkansas (maybe), or at LSU (maybe) to hand the Gators one more loss and the Vols will have a date at the Ga Dome in the SECCG for the first time since 2007. Where, they likely get another shot at Bama and hopefully will go better the 2nd time around (though I wouldn't expect it).

As for all the others, I quit trying to make sense out of polls for D1A CFB a long time ago...just after quitting on trying to make sense of commercial airfares I think. ;)

Your right I guess it was like when my son did something wrong at home and I was the one my wife got mad at . Now I could have kept my mouth shut but not me I would say why are you mad at me he did it not me I was at work. Then she would start in that's the problem your never here. Now again I could have stopped there but not me. I would say I'm working so you will have money to spend on crap I don't want. ( from this point on it got bad for the home team) . But after over 40 years of being married and at the age of 64 I have learned to just not say anything )

I have a good feeling if we win the rest of our games, we will be ranked in the top 25 at some point. Maybe behind 4-8 Georgia, the 10th best team in the SEC, but by golly we'll be there...maybe...I guess...if we're lucky.

You could try a Trumpian theory and just kiss her, when the mouth opens or before it even opens. Of course that might turn habit forming and you will be kissing every woman in the world after starting that custom.

For the record, he's never kissed me. Naturally my eyes will be staying open when on any aircrafts, bars, Florida country clubs, et al.

NC State's choke at Clemson this past Saturday possibly had a huge effect on the ACC's potential of getting a team into the playoffs.

Great issue to bring up. It was pointed out to me at the game Saturday, that I needed to pull for the Tigers w/ a lake so the ACC will still have a chance for the playoff and more money for those potential extra two games.

NC State's choke at Clemson this past Saturday possibly had a huge effect on the ACC's potential of getting a team into the playoffs.
They have to win out to make it. Still have FSU, Pitt, WF and Cuse so they have to play well .

Some people feel that the week before a top 5 team plays another ranked team, the lower ranked team gets an artificial bump in the ranks. This may be due to several factors, most un related. But many folks (conspiracy types) feel that the voters (especially AP poll) are connected to the networks wanting to plug another highly rated team. So when a team like Tenn falls so much after a big loss, was it the correction from the previous artificial high?

I didn't used to listen to these stories, but sometimes I think there is more there than not.

Vols looked awful against Bama. They were lucky to beat a mediocre Cesspool team. They have played to the level of their competition against Appalachian State and Ohio - both at home. They've blown out one opponent this year - oddly, it was the Hokies in Bristol...thanks mostly to the Hokies being far too kind giving the Vols more turnovers than most people have fingers on a hand.

So, UT can't really complain IMO. Having said that, their schedule eases up considerably the rest of the way. Though the Vols have that terrible habit of playing to the level of their competition, so you never know, this remaining schedule... at South Carolina, Tenn Tech, Kentucky, Mizzou, at Vandy... should (and I stress "SHOULD") have them at 10-2/6-2 just after Turkey Day. They only need some help from the Cesspool (unlikely), at Arkansas (maybe), or at LSU (maybe) to hand the Gators one more loss and the Vols will have a date at the Ga Dome in the SECCG for the first time since 2007. Where, they likely get another shot at Bama and hopefully will go better the 2nd time around (though I wouldn't expect it).

As for all the others, I quit trying to make sense out of polls for D1A CFB a long time ago...just after quitting on trying to make sense of commercial airfares I think. ;)

Once again, The SEC Narrative TM is expanding. 8 teams in the top 25, even though they were absolutely demolished by Alabama.

Alabama - Beat a "ranked" USC team that is now 4-3 and has lost to every decent team they've played. Beat an "ranked" Ole MIss team that is now 3-3 and has beaten only Wofford, UGA (who lost to Vandy), and Memphis. Beat Arky who has beaten only TCU of consequence and who has beaten only KU, SDSU, SMU and Iowa St. Trounced a very pedestrian UT team, who's signature win got waxed by Syracuse last Saturday.

They all feed of this this narrative using the "good loss" theory.

"Everyone" knows that the 3-3 Ole Miss is the 23rd best team because they lost to Bama by 5. Never mind that - yet again - they have only beaten Wofford, UGA, and Memphis. Likewise, "everyone" knows that UT is the 18th best team despite haveing only beaten App State, Ohio, UGA, and a VPI team that got waxed by Syracuse.

Here's a thought experiment: It's mid October. How about we wipe the slate clean and pick 25 teams that we think are the best given who they've beaten on the field.

Mine would be:
1. Alabama (7-0) - Beat UT (5-2) and Arky (5-2), and are defending champs
2. Clemson (7-0) - Beat Louisville (5-1) and Auburn (4-2), best win of all these teams
3. TAMU (6-0) - Beat Arky (5-2) and UT (5-2)
4. Ohio State (6-0) - Beat OU (4-2) and Wisconsin (4-2)
5. Michigan (6-0) - Beat Wisconsin (4-2)

6. Washington (6-0) - Beat Stanford (4-2)
7. Louisville (5-1) - Beat FSU (5-2), lost to Clemson (7-0)
8. Navy (4-1) - Beat Houston (6-1), lost to AF (4-2)
9. Houston (6-1) - Beat OU (4-2), lost to Navy (4-1)
10. Nebraska (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody

11. Baylor (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
11. WVU (5-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
13. Boise St (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
14. W Michigan (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
15. UT (5-2) - Beat UF (5-1) and UGA (4-3), lost to TAMU (6-0) and bad to Bama (7-0)

16. FSU (5-2) - Beat Miami (4-2) and Wake (5-2), lost to UNC (5-2) and to L'ville (5-1)
17.Wisconsin (4-2) - Beat LSU (4-2), lost to tOSU (6-0) and UofM (6-0)
18. Arky (5-2) - Beat TCU (4-2), lost to TAMU (6-0) and Bama (7-0)
19. OU (4-2) - Beat TCU (4-2), lost to Houston (6-1) and tOSU (6-0)
20. Auburn (4-2) - Beat LSU (4-2), lost to Clemson (7-0) and TAMU (6-0)

21. UNC (5-2) - Beat FSU (5-2) and Miami (4-2), lost to UGA (4-3) and VPI (4-2)
22. VPI (4-2) - Beat UNC (5-2), lost to UT (5-2) and Syracuse (3-4)
23. Stanford (4-2) - Beat USC (4-3), lost to Washington (6-0) and WSU (4-2)
24. Florida (5-1) - Beat nobody, lost to UT (5-2)
25. Utah (6-1) - Beat nobody, lost to Cal (3-3)

Once again, The SEC Narrative TM is expanding. 8 teams in the top 25, even though they were absolutely demolished by Alabama.

Alabama - Beat a "ranked" USC team that is now 4-3 and has lost to every decent team they've played. Beat an "ranked" Ole MIss team that is now 3-3 and has beaten only Wofford, UGA (who lost to Vandy), and Memphis. Beat Arky who has beaten only TCU of consequence and who has beaten only KU, SDSU, SMU and Iowa St. Trounced a very pedestrian UT team, who's signature win got waxed by Syracuse last Saturday.

They all feed of this this narrative using the "good loss" theory.

"Everyone" knows that the 3-3 Ole Miss is the 23rd best team because they lost to Bama by 5. Never mind that - yet again - they have only beaten Wofford, UGA, and Memphis. Likewise, "everyone" knows that UT is the 18th best team despite haveing only beaten App State, Ohio, UGA, and a VPI team that got waxed by Syracuse.

Here's a thought experiment: It's mid October. How about we wipe the slate clean and pick 25 teams that we think are the best given who they've beaten on the field.

Mine would be:
1. Alabama (7-0) - Beat UT (5-2) and Arky (5-2), and are defending champs
2. Clemson (7-0) - Beat Louisville (5-1) and Auburn (4-2), best win of all these teams
3. TAMU (6-0) - Beat Arky (5-2) and UT (5-2)
4. Ohio State (6-0) - Beat OU (4-2) and Wisconsin (4-2)
5. Michigan (6-0) - Beat Wisconsin (4-2)

6. Washington (6-0) - Beat Stanford (4-2)
7. Louisville (5-1) - Beat FSU (5-2), lost to Clemson (7-0)
8. Navy (4-1) - Beat Houston (6-1), lost to AF (4-2)
9. Houston (6-1) - Beat OU (4-2), lost to Navy (4-1)
10. Nebraska (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody

11. Baylor (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
11. WVU (5-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
13. Boise St (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
14. W Michigan (6-0) - Beat nobody, lost to nobody
15. UT (5-2) - Beat UF (5-1) and UGA (4-3), lost to TAMU (6-0) and bad to Bama (7-0)

16. FSU (5-2) - Beat Miami (4-2) and Wake (5-2), lost to UNC (5-2) and to L'ville (5-1)
17.Wisconsin (4-2) - Beat LSU (4-2), lost to tOSU (6-0) and UofM (6-0)
18. Arky (5-2) - Beat TCU (4-2), lost to TAMU (6-0) and Bama (7-0)
19. OU (4-2) - Beat TCU (4-2), lost to Houston (6-1) and tOSU (6-0)
20. Auburn (4-2) - Beat LSU (4-2), lost to Clemson (7-0) and TAMU (6-0)

21. UNC (5-2) - Beat FSU (5-2) and Miami (4-2), lost to UGA (4-3) and VPI (4-2)
22. VPI (4-2) - Beat UNC (5-2), lost to UT (5-2) and Syracuse (3-4)
23. Stanford (4-2) - Beat USC (4-3), lost to Washington (6-0) and WSU (4-2)
24. Florida (5-1) - Beat nobody, lost to UT (5-2)
25. Utah (6-1) - Beat nobody, lost to Cal (3-3)
I like yours better then the AP or coaches :) I also see you don't care for the Big12

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT