ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason camp opens one week from today!!

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Woohoo! Can't wait for the season to officially get going.

5 things in particular I am looking to see develop...

5. Inside Linebacker
With the departure of Harrell, as outlined in a separate thread here, it will be interesting to see who steps up. Certainly, there are 3 incoming freshmen who could and my guess is one of them will crack into the 2-deep. There are returning guys like Tre' Jackson who have the opportunity sitting right in front of him on a plate. Further, will Beau Hankins take the top ILB starter role and run with it? Will one of the OLB's move over to ILB to compete?

4. A-Back
CPJ stated in an article that he is not too worried about the A-Backs heading into camp... http://www.observerchronicle.com/sp...about-a-backs-georgia-tech-sports-blog/14272/ "That’ll take care of itself,” he said. “I’m not too worried about that.” As pointed out in a separate thread earlier this summer, I share this same view. Tech doesn't rebuild at that position. We just reload. Are there question marks as to who will be a part of the "reloading"? Absolutely. Though, I think the hand-wringing by some Tech fans while understood to a degree is unnecessary. I have faith in the guys we have coming back and the guys coming in. We've had multiple occasions where new guys stepped into starting roles and performed very well. Further, I am curious to see how the frosh are incorporated and when. Incoming guys Jarrett, Cottrell and T. Marshall have a super opportunity in front of them. Same for R-Fr. Searcy. I think Cottrell can help us potentially in the return game as well. Will Willis build on his super spring practice and be the starter opposite Snoddy? Looks like he will enter camp with that starter label.

3. Wide Receiver
Which freshman will step up and in? Perhaps could be both Philpott and Howell. For that matter, I think Brad Stewart has a chance as well. I think Summers is a given to be one starter. Can he become JT5's reliable security go-to guy? Ricky Jeune has the Smelter size. Will he step up and snare the starting WR role opposite Summers? I will not be surprised to see 2 frosh play here though I think CPJ would prefer to have only 1 in the 2-deep and redshirt the other 2 incoming WR's. I am assuming Dorian Walker will be redshirted and wind up at DB in 2016.

2. Jabari Hunt-Days and DL
Will JHD step up into the starting DT role beside Gotsis? He reportedly still had some "work to do" to get qualified academically over the summer, though CPJ has continued to state he is on track and "looking good" in that quest. Assuming he is ready to go in a week, it is hard to fathom a guy who was labeled "unblockable" will be a backup. If JHD starts as I expect he will at DT, that opens up all kinds of opportunities to move guys around for Coach Pelton and Roof. Patrick Gamble in particular can move outside some, for instance. Further, it will be interesting to see if Francis Kallon continues his improvement and adds important depth inside to spell Gotsis, JHD and Gamble to provide some much needed breaks to keep fresh for the 4Q. Certainly, Kallon should get ample opportunity to show what he can do in the first 2 games. I am also curious to see what becomes of long-awaited Kenderious Whitehead. Can he push Chungong for a starting role as a fast bookend rusher to Freeman? I love the depth that we now have along the DL. Should be the best since 2008 that featured 4 guys who played on Sundays.

1. B-Back
In some ways, I think similarly to A-Back above in that we tend to reload here. However, the loss of production from Laskey and Days in 2014 can't be ignored. Again though, I think having a road grader like Shaq Mason to run behind made those guys look really good. Hopefully, the experienced and talented guys on the O-Line like Errin Joe and Shamire Devine will grate some roads themselves. I think Marcus Allen showed he is very capable of performing well in the starting featured B-Back role. We need to develop some depth though. I think Marcus Marshall and Mikell Lands-Davis both have great opportunities to play as true freshmen, though I think CPJ prefers to redshirt both or at least one of them. Weimerskirch is iffy in terms of his return from foot injury and will be interesting to see if we just go ahead and use a redshirt on him this fall. Certainly, getting Patrick Skov in the mix helps with the chances that CPJ can and perhaps will redshirt all of the incoming freshmen. If Allen and Skov can stay injury-free and perform well in the role, then CPJ may get his wish.

One more: Quarterback
Will Matthew Jordan step up to earn some playing time in the first 2 games in what should be chances for playing time against Alcorn State and Tulane in the 2nd half if those games go the way we hope? While we may not learn much in August and perhaps will learn a lot more during the season via reports from the scout team, it will be interesting also to see what Christian Campbell does. Nobody expects him to see the field this year. But, he could be the future at the position post-JT5. His brother - as outlined in a separate thread - could be a future anchor on the O-Line if Tech can snag him away from LSU. We all hope so. While it is taboo to mention our greatest fear as Tech FB supporters, we do all know - like any position - JT5 is always just one play away from being lost. So, while it is nice having an experienced guy like Byerly as the primary backup, we need him to get some reps in those first 2 games to stay sharp as well. I think Byerly can be a mentor to the young guys and I won't be at all surprised if he makes it back to Tech one day in a coaching capacity under CPJ (or his multiple proteges like Monken at Army).

Reactions: halfmetaljacket
wow, great points. A lot to talk about here.

I am waiting to see what the WRs do. There looks to be several players with the right size and skill set. I hope they can make their presence known on the field. Being a tough aggressive blocker early in camp is what will grab the coaches attention. Catching the ball will secure the position. You are right about some of the freshmen coming in and fighting for playing time. I know they are working hard at it.

Agreed on WR's. I think there is star potential with the guys coming in for certain. Of course, I thought the same about Jeune when he committed to us and I still think that way about him. Messick is a wild card. Will he step up and earn a 2-deep role or will one of the incoming FR pass him by? Messick was set as Summers' back up coming out of spring.

One thing I did not include in the original post also is I have a keen eye on AJ Gray. He enters a unit that is deep in experience and talent. Having said that, if there ever was a guy entering Tech with the often used label by fans of "too talented to keep off the field", it is probably him. We'll see.

Of course, I didn't even include my biggest worry but that is a given I guess. I am constantly concerned about our 3rd string placekick holding position. CPJ just doesn't give that nearly the amount of attention it deserves in recruiting. *SIGH* ;)

I have not heard much from anywhere about the receivers. Maybe we will get some reports in about a week or so.

Byerly has really looked good when he is in the game. I think any younger player that passes him will be a very good QB, very good. It should be fun to see who steps up in the summer. I didn't know Byerly was considering coaching. I guess you think he'd be a good one.

Philpott I believe comes in with the most hype. Having said that though, Howell enrolled early and has the head start of having participated in spring drills.

I have no knowledge that Byerly is interested in coaching, btw. Just a wild ice guess on my part. You'd have to believe a guy who has been in the meetings, on the sidelines listening to the coaches manage the game, fully understands the offense and would be the #1 guy if not for the best QB CPJ has had at Tech in JT5 for this offense, etc...just seems like he is to JT5 what George Gutsy was to Joe Hamilton (though Gutsy obviously had 2 more years to play when Big Joe finished at Tech).

Can't wait for next weekend to get here. Woohoo!

A nice article on the B-Back situation and specifically Patrick Skov from the AJC's Ken Sugiura... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/27/skov-wont-be-anointed-starting-b-back/

Despite the lack of experience at the position, Johnson revealed no concerns.

“We’ll be O.K.,” he said. “Whoever plays B-back, they’ll have over 1,000 yards, two guys or one guy or whatever.”

He also said that we'd be just fine with Marcus in the position. I hope he and Patrick both have a big year.

Nothing against Marshall or Lands-Davis, but I am really hoping Allen & Skov (sounds like a law firm ;)) can man the B-Back position and be the one-two punch like Laskey & Days (sounds like a law firm ;)) did last year. This would allow those 2 guys to ease into the role this fall, get their bodies sculpted and ready for 2016 with a redshirt year under their belt. Leggett returns hopefully 100% next spring. Same for Weimerskirch - if not sometime this fall. Skov only has 1 year and Allen has 2. Lots of choices for CPJ and lots of competition to drive the cream of the depth towards the top.

Bottom line though, if the O-Line can block the way they did last year along with JT5 running the position with great decision making the way the QB is supposed to run it, I think old fartekers like us could rack up 30 yards and a cloud of dust in this offense.

*"30 yards and a cloud of dust" trademarked by my friend, stech81 :D

I am thinking that we'll use more than 2 b-backs during the year. It is going to be a long grueling season. Toughest schedule in several years. I just hope the 3rd back gets good quality reps during his time this year. I'd hate to not red-shirt ja player ust for mop up duty.

Agree 100% on "quality reps". Laskey and Days did so well as a combo last year that CPJ never pulled the trigger on needing to insert Leggett. Even though we've unfortunately lost him for the 2015 season, I think CPJ made the right decision. You never know how those injuries are going to happen. Based on CPJ's history, if Allen and Skov are getting the job done, it will take MLD and MM to come in and just outplay them significantly to get time. I don't see CPJ burning a redshirt for token carries here and there. All assuming Allen and Skov are getting it done (blocking, not turning it over, getting the yards they should, etc.) of course.

I am thinking that we'll use more than 2 b-backs during the year. It is going to be a long grueling season. Toughest schedule in several years. I just hope the 3rd back gets good quality reps during his time this year. I'd hate to not red-shirt ja player ust for mop up duty.

The long, grueling schedule is the top reason I am excited about Skov. He is really tough and strong. He isn't a new Dwyer but I think he is 8 yards and a cloud of dust. Marcus Allen ran with a low pad level and with strength in the spring game. With Justin Thomas providing his speed to counter their toughness, we are fine at B-Back IMO.

CPJ mentioned to a couple of ESPNers today that he doesn't worry at all about A or B backs this year but he does worry about WR.

WR seems to always be a concern. I guess it is because there are fewer on the team than most others. With just a few getting game reps every year, it seems the juniors and seniors seem to get the most playing time. Experience in the system wins out.

GT seems to attract the recruits with the measurables who still need development.

I think we'll see some players step up this year.

News on smelter and comments on the GT receivers:

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072915aaa.html

Last edited:
Speaking of WR's, as expected San Francisco announced yesterday that DeAndre Smelter will start out the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list as he continues to rehab his way back into playing shape from his knee injury suffered at Hell last season.

I really hope Darren Waller can make some noise in preseason for the Ravens. They have Breshad Perriman in as a rookie WR who was taken in the 1st round (26th overall) by Baltimore to line up opposite aged starter (yet still effective), Steve Smith Sr. If Waller can play in the slot to provide Flacco a big target - particularly in the red zone - then he may play his way into yet another Yellow Jacket WR to potentially be noticed at the next level.

Also keen on seeing how Stephen Hill does in Charlotte with the Panthers.

Hooray! It's finally here. So glad to see July go away. Welcome, August. You are yucky hot and humid still, but at least you give us some hope that football is almost here for real.

Jackets report... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/15-preseason.html

Tech is the first team to practice in the ACC (on Saturday). I read an article today that showed Pitt's first practice is not until August 10th. Wow! o_O

The AJC's Ken Sugiura is doing a great job covering the Jackets as usual...

JHD ready to go: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/techs-hunt-days-in-camp-with-jackets/nnBFW/
Johnson, who said that his eligibility status would be determined following the end of the summer term, is expected to address the matter Saturday morning following the team’s first practice. Tech’s summer term officially ends Saturday and grades are due Monday.

So is Broderick Snoddy: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/leg-healed-broderick-snoddy-ready-for-camp/nnBDx/
“I’m not going to be thinking about taking contact,” Snoddy said. “I’m just going to go out there and perform.”

Shamire Devine close"ish" to weight goal: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-techs-shamire-devine-close-ish-on-weight-g/nnBDd/
He pronounced himself “close-ish.” He was hopeful that practicing in full pads in August in the Georgia heat will help him reach his weight goal.

Reactions: Texwood
JHD good to go... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/jabari-hunt-days-eligible-to-play/nnBQn/

“I’m happy for him,” Johnson said. “He’s worked hard to get back out there. He got it accomplished. I think (the grades) have to be posted or something, but we’re pretty confident he’s good.”

Not only am I happy for JHD, but great job by his parents who pushed him hard to stay the course and not take the easy way out of Tech (read: transfer). Looking forward to seeing Jabari create havoc in the interior D-Line alongside Gotsis, Gamble and the others. This is great news.

Reactions: BornAJacket
I think the offensive line is going to be outstanding and the reason why this offense won't miss much of a beat from last year's productive group. A couple of nice articles regarding our O-Line.

AJC's Ken Sugiura: http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/08/05/8-camp-notes-from-offensive-line-coach-mike-sewak/
The line would be fine running sprints, but “I don’t know if you can go 18 plays in Miami right now,” he (Sewak) said. “I don’t know if you could run where you’ve got to block a guy for three seconds, get back up, get back in the huddle and get back in there another 20 seconds and do it again.”

Andrea Adelson of ESPN.com rates Tech's O-Line the best in the ACC: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83851/take-2-who-has-the-best-offensive-line-in-the-acc
The Jackets had the best offensive line a year ago and return four starters, so they are the slam-dunk choice as the best unit headed into the season.

The season opens up 3 weeks from tonight. Please Dear Buddha help us get through these last few weeks. I'm pretty sure the team is already sick of banging heads against the same group pretty much day after day. Starting next week the "camp" portion of August preseason is over and the team can start fine tuning some of its packages and schemes with the guys they plan to count on in the 2-deep getting a lot more reps along with more scrimmaging, game situational stuff, and eventually beginning prep for Alcorn State and perhaps some others.

Guys have been at it for almost 2 weeks now. Some teams just reported earlier this week and/or are just now getting into pads for drills for the first day or two. The Thursday night opener gave us some earlier time to get going. Right now, the guys have to bust through it as it is a difficult time right now almost midway through preseason. Perhaps CPJ has something special for them to keep the momentum up. I recall his first year as HC he ordered a random water balloon fight at practice. Of course, from hearing his commentary so far, he isn't sounding too happy with the lack of leadership on this team right now - particularly on the O-Line - so, doesn't sound like he's much in the mood for "games".

It isn't obvious that a semester of classwork and immersion in the program while rehabbing is worth starting the clock a full year earlier. Sounds like Kirvonte is eager to join the program and that is a good thing IMO. We had enough early enrollees that were backdated to the 2014 class to comply with the initial counters limit.

Thanks, mate! Makes sense. I just recall all of the worry warts constantly wringing their hands over how we were going to get 27 signees under the 25 max limit and Benson starting in January along with Ratliffe was supposed to be one of the rumored "solutions". No worries.

One of the things that I love about this place is the absence of worry warts.

Great comments on the A-backs.

“The guys that we have in this group at A-back, they can all run the ball, they can all run routes, they can all catch the ball,” A-backs coach Lamar Owens said. “Our big point of emphasis right now would be to continue to understand our role within the offense and continue to be physical on the perimeter. If we can get those two things down, we’ll see some good things this season.”

I think this goes a long way to satisfying your #4 concern for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT