ADVERTISEMENT

Oh...hell...yes! Jackets win 17-14 in Ireland

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Now THAT should be a fun 7+ hour flight back to Atlanta.

Clutch plays on the final drive. Butker with a key make. Other than the 1 long run for TD, I thought our D played really well. Created 3 TO's.

Nice!

WOOHOO!!

Now THAT should be a fun 7+ hour flight back to Atlanta.

Clutch plays on the final drive. Butker with a key make. Other than the 1 long run for TD, I thought our D played really well. Created 3 TO's.

Nice!

WOOHOO!!
Now ain't we happy Matthew Jordan is a QB and not an AB ?

It's great to pull one out like that with clutch plays to start the season! That's the kind of win that builds team chemistry. Defense played pretty well and pass protection is much improved over last season. Lots to clean up on offense but that stuff is fixable.

I'm going out on a limb and calling it now...

...we're gonna beat the snot out of Mercer.

I know. I know. I know what you're thinking.

It's ballsy picks like this that keeps me on speed dial of the sharps in Vegas.

Reactions: USCJacket
Now ain't we happy Matthew Jordan is a QB and not an AB ?
You got me. I'm through listening to my football contact, other than recruiting. My bad, but I was pulling hard for that clean white shirt wearing #11 to get in that left corner. I still don't like the ball being in his right hand if someone caught up to him and nailed that pigskin.

It's great to pull one out like that with clutch plays to start the season! That's the kind of win that builds team chemistry. Defense played pretty well and pass protection is much improved over last season. Lots to clean up on offense but that stuff is fixable.
Not sure that wasn't the best defense we will play this year . ( I hope it was )

I'm going out on a limb and calling it now...

...we're gonna beat the snot out of Mercer.

I know. I know. I know what you're thinking.

It's ballsy picks like this that keeps me on speed dial of the sharps in Vegas.
You know you missed this pick by a half of a point. Tough prediction loss, but a sweet win.

Wait you even thought we would lose straight up. But, I never thought Jordan would see that one play. Especially after Thomas had the first play inside the 10 yd. line.

Ga Tech sits atop the Coastal Division at 1-0. Take a picture.

Let's hope we stay there all season. We now have as many ACC wins as we did all of last season.

Only saw the first quarter, minus the first drive. What I saw was ugly, but it was not unexpected, given it was the first game and it was against a top 5 D. Defense is always ahead of offense early in the season. Let alone that it was 5 time zones east. Win these type games early and it sets up nice later on. I will take it for what it was, a W.

Edit to say: Geeze! I'm sure TOS is melting down right now with all sorts of dire predictions of doom and gloom. I like my new neighborhood.

BC's defense is good. Playing conditions were tough. We are playing a ton of young guys.

We won't see a really good offense until Clemson.

Inside the stats observation...

...Tech finished #2 in the nation in penalties committed last year. One of the few positive stats in an otherwise forgettable season. We finished at 3.2 penalties per game and 27.4 penalty yards per game. Only Navy was better than us. Today, we committed 3 penalties for 28 yards...right where we left off a year ago. That's really admirable considering it was the first game in particular. By contrast, BC committed 7 penalties, though only for 39 yards.

Tech should shut out each of its next 2 opponents...well, before the starters are taken out, that is.

Ok I'm sober now , but not for long. I did see a problem today we had a 26 and 24 yard punt today. I'm thinking other teams have figured out that play. Maybe we should stop using it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking ahead, which fans are allowed to do.....Clemson lost three DB's to the NFL. GT must pass block to have a shot at pulling the upset at home. Watching them stuff those Tigers w/out a lake, reminds us of the B.C. front we faced yesterday.

Figure filberts:
1)GT's first and last drives of the game, 11 plays and 59 yards for each.
2)119 yds. passing, 119 yds. rushing.

Thoughts on the game having watched most of it. Disclaimer: I have not pored through the entire game.

Offense:
a. BC had their way most of the day with their very good front 7. That was a seriously good D.
b. Our pass pro was significantly improved, but JT5 still had to run too much.
c. It looked to me that blocking on the edge was uneven and at times much better than last year, at times not so much. Prolly has something to do with personnel groups. Those guys are still very young compared to 2 years ago. But you can see the improvement.
d. Our interior OL struggled to establish. Undoubtedly this was due to the quality of the BC DL.
e. WR's played a good game. The hold on MLD was sketchy, IYAM. We've got some players there, but no Smelter/Waller at this point.
f. Justin showed great maturity, if not superior consistency of play. His savvy should win games for us this year, as this year's schedule is not near as strong as last year's on the whole. BC < <FSU, Mercer = Alcorn, Vandy > Tulane, 2016 Clemson = 2015 Clemson, GA Sou << Notre Dame, 2016 UNC < 2015 UNC, 2016 Dook << 2015 Dook.
Overall, some improvement against a very good D on a rainy day.

Defense:
Disclaimer: I FF through lots of BC's plays, so this is sketchy.
a. Allowed a 70 yard TD run. Unacceptable. Other than that, played pretty well.
b. The INT was good. Overall, the front 7 held their own quite well.
c. LB play was good to very good. The one big busted play on the run notwithstanding. Good speed there, with good aggressiveness. Davis and Mitchell looked real good.
d. The DB was OK, but made the big play when needed. They will be good, but need to grow up. This year's recruits will help out next year. Step and AJ both looked pretty good. Austin and Griffin made some tackles, and Griffin had the pick.
Overall, hard to tell as BC's O is so challenged. Still, a good first game. Holding any opponent to 313 is good, and when one play was worth 70 of that, its even better. I'm encouraged somewhat.

The person I was impressed with the most in the game was Antonio Simmons. He seemed to be in on almost every play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT