ADVERTISEMENT

(non-GT) Week 1 of the NFL Season

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Looking forward to Fox NFL Kickoff show moving from Fox Sports 1 over to the Fox network channel this season. The 1-hour long show will kick off at 11am with a new cast prior to leading into the best NFL pregame show on the planet with Curt Menafee, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Michael Strahan and Jimmy Johnson (and supporting cast).

Fox NFL Kickoff will be hosted by Charissa Thompson...
images

Yes. Yes, this works. She will be joined by Champ Bailey, Randy Moss, Dave Wannstedt (aka Mustache), and Colin Cowherd. Will be interesting to see how Cowherd does in a cast setting among real athletes/coaches. Hopefully, he doesn't become too annoying.

Hope to post the TV coverage maps from 506 Sports when released tomorrow with announcing teams for each game. Welcome back, NFL Football!!!

Week 1 NFL ATS plays...

Kansas City-Houston under 41, 1:00 CBS
*Solid defenses. Houston is missing Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins will be blanketed in coverage. Houston's QB situation is not good. Former Jacket George Gutsy will have his hands full trying to find yards and points in this game. JJ Watt and crew should get to Alex Smith. They just need to keep Jamaal Charles in check.

Detroit +2.5 over San Diego, 4:05 FOX
*I'm buying the Lions defense this season. Rivers is missing his go-to guy in Antonio Gates for the first 4 games and I'm not buying Melvin Gordon or their running game to take pressure off of Rivers...yet. I think by mid-season the Bolts' running game may be a lot better. Right now though, I think the stout D-Line of the Lions will shut them down. Stafford and crew should make enough plays to get the win outright on the road.

Cincinnati-Oakland over 43, 4:25 CBS
*Oakland should show significant improvement offensively this year. I expect them in a lot of shootouts because other than their stud LB Mack, they are thin at most positions defensively. Cincy should be able to move the ball and make a lot of plays with Hill and Green. Oakland should respond well though.

Denver -4.5 over Baltimore, 4:25 CBS
*'Woe is me' is the talk out in the Rockies about Peyton Manning. Too old. Can't feel his finger tips on his throwing hand anymore. Didn't look good in preseason. GET REAL! WAKE UP!! Denver's offense will be just fine and their defense might be as good as it has been in a while with new D-Coord. Philips running the show. The Ravens' normally stout #1 defense was shredded in preseason and while I don't put a ton of stock in what happens during preseason, this was a sign to pay attention to I think. Flacco doesn't have a 2nd WR option to turn to yet. Though I expect Smith Sr. to make some plays, it won't be enough.

Monday, Philadelphia-Atlanta over 55, ESPN
*I expect this will be the most entertaining game of the week...perhaps by far. Philly's fast paced offense will be matched by Matt Ryan and the aerial attack at home in the Dome. Both teams may score in the mid-to-high 30's. Fun stuff indeed.

GLA!

I'm all over the Dolphins -3.5 at the Redskins. The Phins have a habit of looking like world beaters in September and their 1st quarter preseason outings suggest this is yet another - start with a bang - end with a wimper season. And let's face it, they don't even have to start with much of a bang to cover three and half against the 'skins.

Being a Skins fan, I can understand your confidence in the Fish. Having said that, the Skins D is going to be much improved. They were good stopping the run last year and should be even better this year with the additions of Pot Roast at the nose in the 3-4, Stephen Paea at one end and a healthy Jason Hatcher at the other. They have depth there as well and plan to rotate frequently to stay fresh. If I was a Lamar Miller fantasy owner, I would not be very confident heading into this game as I think the Skins will stuff him and force Tannehill to beat them via the air.

Now, having said THAT, the Skins have improved in personnel in the D-Backfield but that's like saying on a scale from 0 to 10 they have moved up from a 0 to a 2 or 3 in my opinion. Tannehill's WR's should be licking their chops. Any fantasy owners of Tannehill should be feeling good going into this game.

On other other side of the ball, Kirk Cousins is a considerable upgrade at QB over RG3 in this offensive (no pun intended...well, not yet at least) scheme. Look for the backup RB, Matt Jones, to spell Alfred Morris effectively. The Skins will run the ball and run it some more. That will be difficult to do though considering Suh is now on the Fish D-Line and they may stuff the run just like I expect the Skins D to do. In a game where who has to be most effective potentially via the air, the nod goes to Tannehill in the QB matchup while the nod goes to Washington on the WR's as I think Jackson and Garcon are better weapons than what Tannehill has at his disposal.

The difference may be special teams and this is where Miami likely has a huge advantage. Again, any improvement by Washington would be moving up from a grade of 0 last year. Watch for former Duke WR and current Skins rookie Jamison Crowder in the punt return game. He could make a difference.

I know the Skins have been a soap opera and circus over preseason (and pretty much ongoing for years under Danny Boy) this year, but one thing that has gone unmentioned is that they looked pretty darn good in preseason and have made a lot of solid personnel moves - particularly on the defensive side of the ball, in the draft, and moving Cousins to the starter giving the team at least a chance. Covering 3 1/2 on the road is difficult so buyer beware. I'm leaving it alone. Same reason I shied away from laying 2 1/2 on the Colts in Buffalo. On the one hand, it looks too easy with Tyrod Taylor vs Andrew Luck in the QB battle. But, the Bills are at home, have a great defense, and the Colts defense is porous. Glad to finally discuss real NFL football. Good luck this weekend, mate.

I haven't seen this much preseason optimism permeate the Dolphins fan base since 1995 and I must admit to being caught up in it to some extent as well. There are tangible reasons for optimism but there are also a few chinks in the armor.

On offense the guard situation is shaky. The starters are 3rd year man Dallas Thomas and rookie 4th round draft pick Jamil Douglas. Thomas started 9 games at both guard and tackle last season with mixed results. If he doesn't improve substantially this will be a weakness that opponents can certainly exploit. Jamil Douglas moved up the depth chart in the closing weeks of camp to beat out 2nd year man Billy Turner who also has no game experience. It's anybody's guess how Douglas will fare in real game action. If he flops it will be particularly painful for this 'phins fan because Shaq Mason was on the board when Douglas was selected. The offensive guards will be the two I keep my eyes on every time the Dolphins snap the ball on Sunday.

On defense the heir apparent to take over the starting corner spot opposite Brent Grimes was 3rd year man Jamar Taylor but injuries have slowed him up during camp and journeyman Bryce McCain gets the nod against the 'skins. Look for Cousins to test McCain early and often in this game.

FYI...Sneezy listed as questionable by Bolts in this week’s injury report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT