ADVERTISEMENT

"New look" Lady J's 2015-2016

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Lots of new faces. While I appreciate Kaela Davis choosing Tech and giving it a go as an Electrical Engineering major, I think Tech will be just fine next season. The team often sat back and watched Kaela force shot after shot. When she was on, she was terrific. When not, well, I'll just stop here. I thought the best player last season for Tech was Aaliyah Whiteside. And, quite frankly, I didn't even think it was close.

Looking at the '15-'16 Lady J's, I see a team who should contend for a return to the NCAAT. The ACC will be super tough as usual. Hopefully, the ACC will release ACC opponents soon so we will see who in addition to Clemson we have both a home and away game this upcoming season.

Point Guard: Soph. Imani Tilford returns and likely has first shot at the starting role on Day 1 when practice opens. However, she will be tested by talented incoming freshman Ciani Cryor. I expect these two to share the point position throughout the season and the team will love it. They are both pesky defenders who set up their teammates with a pass-first mindset. I expect Imani to open up her scoring game a little more this season. With Davis no longer around, that frees up a LOT of shots for the rest of the team for that matter.

Shooting Guard: I believe Sr. Aaliyah Whiteside will take over Davis' position as the starter and Soph. Antonia Perreson will get good minutes here as well. Perreson played a lot of point last year, but I believe her best role is at the 2. She showed some strong outside shooting capabilities during the 2nd half of the season last year. With Cryor now in the fold and 2 solid point guards, this allows Coach Jo to move Perreson over to what I believe is a more natural position for her.

Small Forward: Hard to call Jr. Katarina Vuckovich as "small" with her tall, lean and lanky 6'3" frame. But, I think she moves into the starting 5 and gets her out to where she can use her outside shooting prowess while defending smaller forwards as well. Her time has definitely arrived and I see a very strong season ahead for her. Talented wing Dejoria Howard from South Carolina enters as a true freshman and I see her contributing right away. UTEP transfer Irene Gari will also compete for playing time in her one season at Tech and she could spend some time at the 4 off the bench as well. If Gari shows she can make some outside shots and play Coach Jo's brand of defense, she'll get more playing time as will Howard. Lots of nice interchangeable parts with these 3.

Power Forward 1: Speaking of interchangeable parts, to me the 2 post positions are just that for Tech and so I'll list us with 2 PF's since we don't really have what I'd call a true "center". One starter will be Soph. Zaire O'Neil. She really came on strong during the 2nd half of the season in particular during her initial campaign with the Lady J's this past season before ending with a knee injury in postseason. I believe she will return 100% in time for preseason practices. Like Roddreka Rogers, if they both had another 4 inches of height not only would they be playing for UConn but they'd be a 1st round WNBA selection. Both are Coach Jo's types of players. Lots of energy, hustle and fight. Incoming 6'3" freshman, Martine Fortune, likely will get some playing time at one of these 2 post positions off the bench.

Power Forward 2: Sr. Roddreka Rogers (aka The Motor, aka Double Double Machine) will start at the other post position and some combination of redshirt frosh Erin Garner and true frosh Chelsea Guimaraes from Portugal will battle for playing time to spell The Motor. We have good depth in the post now and that helps because it allows Vuckovic to work more outside (as well as Gari). In a pinch if Coach Jo needed it, Katarina could play some 4 as might Gari though I'm hopeful they won't be needed.

While we lose The Double Double Machine after this season, we get Hofstra transfer Edeferioka for 2 seasons after she sits out the mandatory transfer year next season. I saw Edeferioka twice this past season in games against JMU and she will do well. She is taller, has good moves in the paint, and gets after it like Coach Jo wants.

Coach Jo already has a commit from Osborne HS (Marietta, GA) guard Zutorya Cook who will compete at both guard positions. Tech is reportedly in the running for ranked guards Jacaira Allen 5'11" from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and Dominique Toussaint 6'0" out of New York City. Either would be nice additions to replace Whiteside at the 2-guard spot. Coach Jo should have 5 ships to hand out to freshmen and/or grad transfers. And that is counting that Edeferioka already has 1. I know Coach Jo has her eyes set on some other players and I expect we'll attract another international player or two. It will really be interesting if she could land Ciani Cryor's teammate at Neuman Goretti HS in Philly, the number 1 ranked HS girls basketball team in the nation this past season by the way. She is Felicia Aiyeotan and she stands 6'9". I have no idea if Coach Jo is recruiting her or if she has any interest in the Lady J's. But, if we are and she is, it may help that we have Cryor in the fold. You never know.

The '15-'16 version should be fun to watch and getting back to a style of play Coach Jo desires. That is, defense creating havoc. More players who can get up and down the court. Less reliance on one player. Good depth allowing players to give their all and less drop off from starters to backups. More of a T-E-A-M approach by the players. That by the way should not be construed as a shot at Kaela Davis. It is a fact she can be a terrific scorer at times. 5 will beat 1 most all the time though.

Last edited:
Antonia Peresson is having a super Euro U20 tournament for Italy. So far, in 25.4 minutes per game over their first 5 games, she is 46.2% from 3 point land (12 of 26) and averaging scoring 9.2 ppg. She is coming off her most productive game earlier today in a close loss to Portugal where she dropped 17 points on 5 of 9 shooting outside the arc.

She will bring a solid presence at the 2-guard this upcoming season and provide the outside threat Tech needs. The shooting guard position is her more natural one and removing the primary ball handling tasks she had to endure at the point for much of her freshman season should help her tremendously. The versatile Whiteside can be on the court at the 3 with Peresson at the 2 to provide 2 strong outside shooting threats for the Lady J's with more shot opportunities available now that Davis has departed.

I hope you are right about Zaire being ready to go. Amazing how quickly players can come back from ACL injuries these days. I am looking forward to seeing what a healthy Erin Gardner can do. And don't discount Simi Avram. From photos posted on the team's Facebook page, she looks to be in much better shape than last year.

There should be excellent competition in the post. Zaire participated in the recent Marine workouts IIRC and looked to be participating at 100%.

I guess it will be a few more weeks before we see an out-of-conference schedule. As for Kaela, I'm sorry it didn't work out for both sides the way they had hoped. She is a very talented player and I hope she does well in Columbia. It seems Coach Jo's system/program works better with players who are not highly recruited and come in with something to prove (I'm thinking of players like Ty, Sasha, Roddreka).

Side note...Lady J's game in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge at Indiana on Dec. 2, Wednesday, is one of only two games that night hosted by Big 10 teams. The other 5 games are at ACC schools. This provides a good chance that the game will be televised via the Big 10 Network. Perhaps a double-header with the other game hosted by Big 10 member, Maryland (hosting Syracuse). The men that week are all on ESPN networks during those days as part of the Men's ACC-Big 10 Challenge so the Big 10 Network will not have a lot of conflicts. Well, all men's programs in the ACC & Big 10 except Ga Tech of course who will be sitting out this year's event.

One of Coach Jo's biggest targets, Dominique Toussaint from Christ The King HS in NYC, has committed to Virginia. Toussaint is the #27 player in this upcoming signing class per Prospects Nation.

Coach Jo would REALLY like to land Jacaira Allen, 5'11" combo guard from south Florida. She needs to land a standout 2-guard in this class. Allen is ranked #41 nationally by Prospects Nation and her game fits Coach Jo's style very well.

The non-conference schedule is out: linky thingy. A couple of things jump out: looks like we'll do a couple of double headers with the men (November 13 and December 15). A Saturday afternoon home game (December 5) is rare.. is that the weekend of the ACC Championship game? IUPUI would have been Nariah's senior year homecoming.. sorry to see that's not gonna work out like that for her. No tournament hosted by GT over the holidays.. hope they can stay sharp for ACC play.

I am pretty certain the game at Hell will at minimum be streamed live via SEC Network + (essentially same thing as ESPN-3/WatchESPN) with an outside chance it may be televised via SEC Network TV channel.

Last year, the Big Ten announced its Women's Hoops TV schedule at the end of September so assuming they do it again this year, we should find out in a couple of weeks whether the game at Indiana on Dec. 2nd will be televised live on the B10N. In the ACC-Big 10 Challenge thingy on Dec. 2nd, there is only one other game hosted by a Big 10 school so hopefully they may do a DH with one start at 7pm (GT at Indy) and the other at 9pm (Syracuse at Maryland).

Hopefully rr.com will be updated in the next few weeks to exhibit which games will be streamed live via ESPN-3. I always like listening to Beesball Richard's WREK broadcast and watch the game being streamed or on TV if I can sync it up properly.

Man, you covered it all here and in such full detail. Thanks a million! Jf61 too.

When I see M. Fortune, it reminds one of Nisha Adames. Tall, lanky shot-blocker.
We want post players and I get that....point guards are paramount too, especially in rebuilding/reloading( whatever we are calling this after the Sweet 16 appearance). I do need to see some scoring recruits or shooters. Sort of like what the men have been missing. Maybe not to the degree of hawking like Kaela did, possibly Peresson is the one-although she is a fine ball handler too. Resigned to staff turnover, I'm starting to take my gold colored glasses off and realize that Coach moves them along, ready for a HCoaching job or not.

Brittany Garner is a 6'4" 4-star 2018 prospect out of Camden Catholic and Merchantville, NJ.

http://prospectsnation.com/player/brittany-garner

She is the younger sister of our own Erin Garner. "2018" means she just started her sophomore year in HS. At 6'4" she likely has some more room to grow. Unclear if Coach Jo has a shot at her, but having Erin on roster has to at least give us a foot in the door. Coach Jo has been very successful recruiting the Philly-NJ-NYC corridor in recent years.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-02-...is-palladino-camden-catholic-trenton-catholic

Nice find!

I wish we could move a few letters around on her last name, allow her to shed a few pounds and grow half a foot more. Sound like a Pheonix player in the WNBA?

Just no cat fighting allowed, "Glory" be!

Lady J's at Cesspool, Sunday, Nov. 22, now scheduled for 4pm tip and will be streamed live via SEC Network + (WatchESPN).

edit note: also, home opener on Nov. 13, has now been scheduled for a 5:30pm tip which is the first of the DH with the BasketJackets (tip at 8pm) at the Enormous Boob.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT