ADVERTISEMENT

Learfield Athletic Directors Cup

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Virginia is currently 8th overall and a win tonight to obtain the College World Series would vault them up 100 pts to the 4th spot just ahead of ACC member, UNC. Even a runner up finish will move UVA up several spots.

4 of the top 11 (also including 11-FSU & 10-Notre Dame) are ACC members. The Pac-12 no surprise has the top 3 in Stanford, UCLA and Southern Cal. The Big 10 has Ohio State and Penn State at #6 and #7 currently. The Big 12 has one in the top 10 with Texas currently at #9. The SEC has 1 program (Florida at #5 currently but will fall behind UVA) in the top 10. Georgia is just outside the top 10 currently at #12.

Other ACC programs and their current rankings... Duke #20, NC State #28, Louisville #31, Virginia Tech #32, Syracuse #46, Clemson #56, Miami #62, BC #64, Georgia Tech #72, Wake Forest #87, and Pitt #94.

Source: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune16.pdf

Now, I think we Tech fans know we will never be a threat to finish in the top 10 or even in the top 25 primarily due to having one of the smallest athletic programs in the ACC in terms of number of programs. For comparison sake, UNC fields 26 athletic programs (12 M and 14 W). BC has 29 - though not all are in the Directors Cup scope. Georgia Tech has 15 overall...just one more than UNC has women's programs.

Having said that, we Tech fans should expect more from this athletic program as a whole.

2015: #72
2014: #89
2013: #74
2012: #72
2011: #59
2010: #49
2009: #48
2008: #55
2007: #46
2006: #50
2005: #31
2004: #31
2003: #53
2002: #50
2001: #61
2000: #58

Average between 2000 and 2011: 49.25
Median between 2000 and 2011: 50

Average between 2012 and 2015: 76.75
Median between 2012 and 2015: 73

Most Tech fans don't care. I know I know. All they care about is football and maybe men's hoops. But, this history exhibits how Tech once was experiencing nice success across the board with volleyball, softball, baseball, etc., all doing well qualifying for and advancing in the postseason. Pretty sad.

what's the best GT has finished? I would think the 1990- 1991 season would have been a pretty good score. GT had a good track program at that time too.

Final standings... http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune25.pdf

Top 20 consists of...

Pac 12 = 5 (including top 3)
ACC = 5
SEC = 5
Big 10 = 4
Big 12 = 1

The ACC had a fabulous year. I think an ACC Network will go over better than the SEC Network because more ACC fans are interested in sports other than football. Men's and Women's Hoops keeps the winter warm and the spring sports in the ACC are terrific all the way around.

Refreshing this thread from a year ago...

...Tech finished a pathetic #80 this year. Remember, don't compare Tech to other programs with this metric. Our athletic program is far too small for an apples-to-apples comparison to others. The more appropriate comparison is Tech to ourselves historically. Other than the T-Babes, this past year - the 3rd under our horrible Athletic Director - was historically awful. Good thing we have that strategic plan and all. (rolling eyes)

Unfortunately, the majority only care about football when it comes to Tech and some more about Men's Hoops. That fact is reflected by our A.D. as well. It won't get better any time soon I'm afraid. Hopefully, the Volleybees and Lady J's will see a return to the NCAAT this upcoming school year. Hoping.

David Teel provides a summary for the ACC... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-wrap-1516-post.html

GEORGIA TECH (80): This is the Yellow Jackets’ lowest Directors’ Cup finish since 1999, when they also were No. 80. Women’s tennis reaching the NCAA round of 16 was Tech’s best national effort, and the Jackets did not win an ACC title.

Learfield sounds like a landing strip for jets, no?

All kidding aside, you make an outstanding point. One cannot compare our 16 sports or for the most part, the academia to the majority of the other schools. We are low in numbers, on both accounts(I believe W.F. still only has around 3k or so undergrads on campus). So comparing us to ourselves is the only way to fly. We probably fell under the radar in 1999 within our fan base because Football did much better, and like you've stated here/in other threads-that is the sport for the majority.

Very well done, sir! Facts to support our reasoning.

Even given the small # of sports Tech has performed well based on post season appearances in many sports. Even track or cross country from time to time has performed well enough to gather some points. The golf team is rather young, but did make the regional and finished well there considering. A few bright spots, but nothing to really point out as outstanding, and overall most every team performed less than expected.

Just to update the original post from a year ago, Tech finished #80 in this past school year's Learfield Athletic Directors Cup. 14th out of 15 ACC programs - only Pitt finished worse than us.

As a reminder, I'm not comparing how we do against our competition. Our athletic program is very small comparatively speaking. IOW, we'll never compete for the top 10 and rarely for the top 20.

Instead, look at the trend of our program as a whole over time as was outlined in the OP. The last 5 years we have finished 72nd or worse.

2012-2016: 72 or worse
2006-2011: never worse than 59
2004-2005: finished #31 both years
2000-2003: in the 50's with one #61 finish

72-or-worse is terrible and not surprisingly very reflective of what has been said many times about the state of our overall athletic program. Finishing #31 twice probably is our entitlement area. Finishing in the high 40's to 50's (9 times in the last 17 years) seems a realistic expectation and our comfort zone in terms of where we should be.

We won't get there with an AD who doesn't fund a position to focus on "other" sports like exists at every ACC program - and near all of the P5 programs. We won't get there with a total focus on FB and MBB...while the others are just there it seems.

Pathetic.

Now you see why I've turned to the Lacrosse team for comfort?
I'm thinking of taking up that wealthy man's game called Golf. Tech is a Golf School.
Maybe the new regime will have schedules put out for Track, S. & D.? They are located in Pres. Peterson's back yard.

ADVERTISEMENT