ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Jackets opponents at Cancun Challenge announced

We know we'll have 16 ACC games. The last 2 years, the season's ACC opponents listing was released in May so a little surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

We know we'll play Clemson twice like normal. 2 years ago we had to play (now departed) Maryland also twice and last year we had to play Notre Dame twice. Clemson twice + 1 other ACC team twice + home for 6 and away for 6. Avoiding an additional game against Notre Dame will be a relief, but it could get replaced with a monster as the ACC has plenty to pick from.

Out of conference, we will play at Georgia. The last 6 years this game has been played on a Sunday in either late November or early December prior to fall semester exams.

We know we will be visiting Indiana for our 2nd year in a row on the road in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge. Coach Jo's former top assistant is now head coach at IU.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we will get 2 winnable games at Cancun against Northern Iowa and High Point. That's 20 games accounted for.

I believe we will get return home games from Loyola-Chicago and St. Francis NY as we played them on their home courts last year. One of them perhaps will be a part of the Lady J's holiday tournament between Xmas and NYD. Let's assume that is the case and Tech will play another team in the holiday event. That's 23.

With the remaining 6 or 7, my guess is we'll of course have some cupcakes at home. I expect Coach Jo will try to schedule a game up in the northeast - perhaps NYC (like St. Francis last year) or Philly - with the influx of players on the roster from that region. Maybe even 2 games on the same road trip or pre-ACC schedule tourney affair.

Unclear whether we might schedule road games near our two seniors Whiteside (from Memphis) and Rogers (from Charlotte) home locations to honor them. Charlotte is technically in the heart of ACC Country and games at Wake, the 3 Triangle schools or Clemson kind of cover that. So, don't know if we would try to schedule an away-and-home game somewhere near Memphis. I'm going to guess doubtful. We'll see.

edit note: doing a little math here, there is this statement from rr.com's announcement of season ticket prices for Lady J's this year... Season tickets can be purchased for the low price of $60, less than $4 per game... $60 divide by $4 would be 15 games... "less than $4 per game" suggests we will have 16 or 17 home games. That's 8 ACC + 2 holiday tournament + Loyola-Chicago and/or St. Francis + 5 or 6 others??? Road games = 8 ACC + Georgia + Indiana + 2 in Cancun for 12 that we know of.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT