ADVERTISEMENT

How Duke's DL lined up against Tech's OL last year

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Duke brought a new strategy in how to defend CPJ's offense. Well, perhaps not new. But, it was exaggerated and obviously effective based on the final score.

Take a look first at how the Cesspool's D-Line was lined up like most teams less than a yard across the LOS from Tech's O-Line...freeze it at the 0:30 mark...

Now, take a look at how Duke's D-Line was at least 1.5 yards off the LOS and closer actually to 2 yards... freeze it at the 0:36 mark...

An interesting wrinkle that hopefully we'll be ready for in Rutgers-Durham in late September.

Interceptions by Duke and the crazy weather delay hurt GT in that game. I don't know how much the extra space on the line helped.

You are probably right in terms of how effective it was or wasn't. I know the INT's and lack of execution inside the red zone killed us that day. We racked up a lot of yards, but a good portion of that was in the 4th quarter late when we were playing come back and the game was pretty much in Duke's control.

I cited it early in the game to those around me at the time and seemed like it was unusually far off the LOS. I don't know if Duke was going for a surprise factor or thought it may throw our OL's off some in terms of their initial thrust, low"ness" to the ground, etc., or perhaps some of both. Just found it interesting. Don't recall any other teams deploying that approach or at least not to that exaggerated level, but could be wrong.

usually when they play back like that the BBs have a huge game. Halftime of the game was 12-14.

I did not like the decision of CPJ to go for two in the first half. But I guess one point didn't make a difference in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT