ADVERTISEMENT

GTWB: Tech Falls at No. 5 Notre Dame, 90-50

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

Georgia Tech women’s basketball wins rebounding battle over Fighting Irish

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Georgia Tech won the rebounding battle over No. 5 Notre Dame Sunday afternoon, but it wasn’t enough to lift the Yellow Jackets past the Fighting Irish. Tech dropped a 90-50 decision in South Bend to fall to 13-9 overall and 3-6 in ACC play.

“I’m really disappointed in the way we played today,” commented head coach MaChelle Joseph. “I thought we have been competitive all season long and I thought we really showed our youth and inexperience today. In my opinion, Notre Dame is the best team in the country and I didn’t think we responded very well to the pressure and obviously stopping their transition defense.”

How It Happened
Notre Dame held Georgia Tech to a 14.7 percent (5-34) shooting clip in the first half to build a 54-13 halftime lead. Lorela Cubaj and Francesca Pan scored six points in the early going as Tech led 6-4 at the 7:57 mark of the first quarter, but the Fighting Irish answered with two three-pointers to regain control and would outscore the Jackets 47-7 through the second period.

Kierra Fletcher and Elizabeth Balogun opened the second half with back-to-back field goals, but Marina Mabrey answered with three consecutive three-pointers to extend Notre Dame’s lead to 63-17. The Jackets closed the third quarter with a 6-2 spurt to trail 74-30 entering the final frame and outscored the Fighting Irish 13-7 through the final media break at 4:49 in the fourth quarter for an 81-43 tally. Tech finished the period outscoring Notre Dame, 20-16, for the final score.

Tech Tidbits

* Georgia Tech was 5-of-34 in the first half from the field to Notre Dame’s 20-of-33 (60.6 percent) effort
* Tech finished the game with a 21.7 percent (18-83) shooting efficiency
* Notre Dame shot 55.9 percent (33-59) from the field
* Elizabeth Dixon led Tech with 12 points
* Tech won the rebounding battle, 48-45, paced by seven rebounds from Cubaj
* Notre Dame won the second quarter, 26-3, to build a comfortable lead for the remainder of the game
* Tech won the second half, 37-36

Next Up
Georgia Tech returns to Atlanta to host Pittsburgh on Feb. 7. Tip is slated for 7 p.m. on ACC Network Extra.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News