ADVERTISEMENT

GT Men's Basketball at Georgia, Dec. 19, Saturday

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
A few years ago, Georgia Men's Hoops Coach, Mark Fox, stated publicly his desire for the GT-UGA annual game to be played when students are in session on campus. I think that is the right approach and applauded him for making a big deal about it.

For 4 seasons between '07 and '10, the 2 schools had met either in early January before spring semester started or late December after fall semester had ended. Then, the next 5 years, it was adjusted appropriately to early December weeknight games for 3 years ('11 thru '13) before fall semester exam week and then the last 2 years on Friday nights in November.

Tech goes for its 5th straight in the series on December 19th this year. I expect Georgia to still have a good crowd though even with students out of session and many heading home for the holidays. Their program is on the rise at the moment. The lone bright spot to the Brian Gregory era at Tech is his 4-0 perfect record so far against the arch-rivals. It would be nice to get this series back to where it was when it was receiving national TV ESPN type of TV exposure 20 years ago. Taking the game away from neutral site was a mistake in my opinion. Hosting the game on campus when students are out of session defeats the purpose somewhat.

Additional note to consider...one potential advantage for Tech is that the Jackets' final exams will be the week of Dec. 7-11 while Georgia's official academic calendar indicates that their final exams are a week later, Dec. 10-16. This likely means Tech will get at least one game - perhaps two - coming off final exams prior to traveling to Athens while Georgia may face Tech coming off of their final exam week. Just something to keep an eye on when the schedules are released later this summer.

Reports in Knoxville advise that Tennessee (now under new HC Rick Barnes) is pursuing a 4-year contract with games against Tech in MBB starting this upcoming season. 2 in Atlanta and 2 in Knoxville rotating venues each season. This is great news if it comes to fruition.

VCU will visit Tech this upcoming season in MBB on Dec. 15 and we can assume Tech will return a visit to Richmond the following season. The VCU game will prep Tech before we travel to Athens.

VCU news... http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_f1b5cc7d-b803-5f71-96a1-765e59843c56.html

http://wric.com/2015/05/29/vcu-basketball-releases-non-conference-schedule/

With Tech not in this year's ACC-Big 10 Challenge, it will be interesting to see if the game against Tennessee will be during that week in early December.

Taking inventory of the '15-'16 schedule to the best of my knowledge...

-18 ACC games
-home vs VCU
-at Georgia
-TBD vs Tennessee
-1 home game around Nov. 17 or 18 most likely versus a mid-major as part of the Preseason NIT
-2 games in NYC on Nov. 25 & 27 against two of Stanford, Arkansas, or Villanova as part of the Preseason NIT

That's 24 of 30 games accounted for so far. I will assume the other 6 will be against mid-majors and lower level conference teams. Perhaps one of those 6 will be on the road.

The Preseason NIT since its inception featured the semifinals and finals/consolation at Madison Square Garden. But, it is moving away to a to-be-determined location this upcoming season. Rumors range from an alternate neutral site in the NYC-Jersey area to neutral site in a different city to one of the 4 major conference teams hosting it on their home court. We'll see.

Tech's ACC games will be:
Home AND Away - Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, Pitt
Home Only - Miami, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Va Tech
Road Only - FSU, North Carolina, NC State, BC, Syracuse

I welcome any additional information.

Savannah State has been added to the list of teams participating in the Preseason NIT. I think it is safe to assume Tech will host Savannah State in mid-to-late November.

Tech's out of conference schedule close to being completed per Ken Seguira of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-basketball-non-conference-schedule-nearly-set/nmnzT/

In addition to the notes in this thread already reported...

Nov. 13, Friday, season and home opener vs Cornell
Dec. 1, Tuesday, home vs Wofford
Dec. 5, Saturday, at Tulane
Dec. 21, Monday, home vs Southeastern Louisiana
Dec. 23, Wednesday, home vs Colgate

Wofford is an interesting one as their head coach will likely be very sought after soon. ;)

Given Ken's report that Tech will have not one, but two, home games as part of the Preseason NIT event, what we can project is a 31 game schedule...

Nov. 13, Friday, CORNELL
Nov. 16, Monday, TENNESSEE
Nov. 18, Wednesday, likely home game against mid-major as part of Preseason NIT
Nov. 20 or 21 or 22, Friday or Saturday or Sunday, likely home game against mid-major as part of Preseason NIT
Nov. 25, Wednesday, Game 1 of 2 at Preseason NIT in NYC (vs Arkansas, Stanford or Villanova)
Nov. 27, Friday, Game 2 of 2 at Preseason NIT at NYC (vs Arkansas, Stanford or Villanova)
Dec. 1, Tuesday, WOFFORD
Dec. 5, Saturday, at Tulane
Dec. 15, Tuesday, VCU
Dec. 19, Saturday, at Georgia
Dec. 21, Monday, SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Dec. 23, Wednesday, COLGATE
Dec. 29, Tuesday, DUQUESNE
Jan. 2 or 3, Saturday or Sunday, start ACC schedule???

I question whether the Preseason NIT will give Tech 2 home games. Past history has shown the schools participating in the NYC portion over Thanksgiving weekend only get 1 home game. 31 game schedule is indeed possibly though and I'll take Ken's words as being the truth until proven otherwise. I actually have my eyes on the game coming off fall semester final exams. I'd think Coach Gregory would want a mid-major at home prior to facing VCU as the first game off exams. Perhaps that is where the 2nd home game will be placed Ken is advising. In other words, no game on Nov. 18 as listed above and instead will be around Dec. 12, Saturday, coming off exams. These early season "tournaments" are a joke in the way they are fixed to just give power conference teams additional home games that have zero to do with the "tournament".

18 game home schedule is a lot of value for season ticket holders. Let's hope the team gets the fanbase excited enough for those 18 home games to be worth it.

Last edited:
The Preseason NIT moving from Madison Square Garden to Brooklyn's Barclays Center is an interesting twist. Note, in the past, there were 2 games on Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving) and then 2 games on Black Friday. Now, with the move to Brooklyn, it will move to a Thursday-Friday event, Nov. 26-27 per this report from nova.com... http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-ba...in/8272388?_ga=1.3394352.164329438.1432909438

This will be the 2nd straight year the BasketJackets spend Thanksgiving weekend in Brooklyn. Last year, Tech took it on the chin with double-digit losses to Ole Miss and St. John's as part of the Barclays Center Classic. Nova, Arkansas and Stanford will bring solid competition so getting 1 win this year would be nice. Hoping.

Also, recall from earlier in this thread, Savannah State is in the non-power conference pool of teams who will play games on campus sites at the 4 listed above. I'd have to believe Tech will be hosting Savannah State due to proximity and lower travel costs either the 2nd week of the season or first game coming back from exams prior to hosting VCU. We'll see...

There are some tough, interesting matchups (see: Tennessee, 2 at Brooklyn, VCU, Wofford, at Georgia) in the pre-ACC schedule. Hopefully that will toughen up this team before the ACC schedule begins.

VCU and Tennessee of course have new head coaches. The game at Tulane will be tough as well. If this team can register a 9-4 pre-ACC record that would be pretty good. 10-3 would surpass my expectations. 11-2 would shock me and get me to thinking about legit postseason chances.

I see 6 "should be" wins. That leaves 7 games which are toss ups. Hopefully, we can win 4 of those 7. I'm not holding my breath as long as the same old offensive (pun intended) concepts are deployed.

Hard to know what to expect. The team will again have several new faces and some young players will be getting more playing time.

When will we know who we can call "talent"? Hope it is soon. The early schedule should help work that out quickly this year.

As FYI, the ACC has released the MBB schedules on the following dates the last few years...

August 27, 2014
August 22, 2013
August 22, 2012
August 24, 2011
Sept. 2, 2010
August 25, 2009
August 26, 2008
August 23, 2007

Correct. :)

FWIW, the women's ACC Hoops schedule has been announced on these dates the last few years...

Sep. 9, 2014
Aug. 28, 2013
Sep. 6, 2012
Sep. 13, 2011
Sep. 8, 2010
Aug. 28, 2009
Sep. 2, 2008

The ACC still has not announced which teams will be played within conference for WBB. I guess we'll find out when the entire schedule is released in a little over a month.

Jackets will open against Arkansas in the first game the Barclays Center on Thanksgiving Day in Brooklyn. The other game that day in the Preseason NIT will be Stanford vs Villanova. The winners will meet for the championship on Black Friday. Losers will play in consolation also on Friday.

No TV, tipoff times, etc., announced yet, but hopefully with the matchups now known that will be released soon as well.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

New dates now announced officially by the Preseason NIT folks... http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...nova-highlight-2015-nit-season-tip-off-field/

Thursday, Nov. 19, Green Bay at Georgia Tech
Sunday, Nov. 22, East Tennessee State at Georgia Tech
Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 26, Georgia Tech vs Arkansas, 2pm, ESPN-U (at Barclays Center in Brooklyn)
Black Friday, Nov. 27, 3rd place game, 12:30pm, ESPN-U or Championship game, 3pm, ESPN-2

Note: contrary to previous reports, Savannah State is not a part of the broader event. Instead, Charleston Southern is.

So, the non-conference schedule is pretty much known now as far as opponents, locations and dates. We'll have to wait most likely another 3 weeks before we see TV and tip off times.

Nov. 13 (Fri) home vs Cornell
Nov. 16 (Mon) home vs Tennessee
Nov. 19 (Thu) home vs Green Bay
Nov. 22 (Sun) home vs East Tennessee State
Nov. 26 (Thu) vs Arkansas at Preseason NIT in NYC, 2pm, ESPN-U
Nov. 27 (Fri) vs Villanova or Stanford at Preseason NIT in NYC, Consolation 12:30pm on ESPN-U or Championship 3pm on ESPN-2
Dec. 1 (Tue) home vs Wofford
Dec. 5 (Sat) at Tulane
Dec. 15 (Tue) home vs VCU
Dec. 19 (Sat) at Georgia
Dec. 21 (Mon) home vs Southeastern Louisiana
Dec. 23 (Wed) home vs Colgate
Dec. 29 (Tue) home vs Duquesne 7pm

Just to follow up on an earlier point made in the origins of this thread, the Cesspool's schedule was announced yesterday and indeed their game with us at the Stegasaurus Dungeon will be their first coming off exams. They host Winthrop on Dec. 8, Tue., and then final exam week is scheduled from Dec. 10 thru 16. They of course host the BasketJackets on Tuesday, Dec. 19...followed by hosting Clemson on the 22nd.

Tech will host VCU on Dec. 15 coming off exams prior to heading to the Cesspool for what will hopefully be a 5th win in a row in the series.

Tallahassee newspaper report earlier this week advised the ACC schedule will be released "the last week of August" so looks like hopefully we will get it sometime next week. My SWAG is Wednesday, Aug. 26.

In my observation, the lower-projected teams in the ACC tend to get a lot of early starts on weekend games (read: less hype/exposure) while the higher profile teams get later starts for national TV coverage, more eyeballs, and west coast viewers. Last year, for instance, of Tech's 9 Saturday or Sunday ACC games, 8 of them tipped off at 2:30 or earlier and 5 of them tipped off at noon on Saturday. Only the Saturday game at Pitt started later than 2:30 (4pm tip). So, considering we are picked at or near the basement of the ACC, I imagine we will get similar scheduling this upcoming season.

Last year also, once February arrived, we embarked on a strange pattern of games on Saturday followed 2 days later on Monday for 3 weeks in a row before finishing on a Saturday and then Tuesday completing the regular season 1 week ahead of the ACC Tournament. We were off the final weekend of the regular season for the first time ever in my memory. The extra time with the week off between finishing the regular season and starting the ACCT of course didn't help at all of course as we lost the ACCT opener to BC by 1 pt. Tech has opened the ACCT with BC for the last 3 years in a row. The ACCT this upcoming March will be held at the Verizon Center in the nation's capital.

ADVERTISEMENT